DDR Supernova

Started by OniCourseMusha, July 17, 2006, 08:21:17 AM

OniCourseMusha

Did anyone here played DDR Supernova?

I played the one at Milpitas Golfland and Disneyland and had a lot of fun! Even though the timing got stricter and harder, you'll get a hang wit it.
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

JetPackJohnny

Supernova's a sweet mix I gotta say. Although I have some beef with the songs they got from GFDM. Some of the steps didn't flow well and at least Tierra Buena got edited so the solo was short. But other than that, another awesome addition to the DDR library!

Asa_Gohan

God dang it Simi took you long enough to get a sn.  Anyways from what Ive seen its looks pretty good. Of course though Im only looking off what I saw.  I dont play much ^-^;; but of course though it looks awesome and it seems to be another hit.

This sig isnt true anymore...I have to wait for a bit...

zoupzuop2

They took out all the classic Eurobeat.

For that I hold a grudge against the ones in charge of the Setlist.
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

Sora

Super Nova! I soo can't wait to play that!
"Don't give me any orders."

zoupzuop2

So I found out that the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk has Supernova!

...in the back.
As in, out of sight from the ITG2 machine (which is placed RIGHT WHERE ALL CAN SEE IT). Shows you which way the Boardwalk leans.  :roll:
Anyway, I decided to try it out right away.

Plus-sides:
*Stricter Window, but not by much
*Red Zone!
*Emi's dancing is teh smecksies. If only they kept the authentically anime style of DDR 5th...
*Some of the new songs are cool.

Down-sides:
*AA'ing will take a while...
*VERY LITTLE EUROBEAT.
*Can't always access all available music, noted especially in Vs. Mode
*VERY LITTLE EUROBEAT.
*Overly-Americanized titles, songs...
*DID I MENTION THE LACK OF EUROBEAT?!?

Overall... not bad. It's CLEARLY trying too hard to reach new players, and it (thankfully) took a hint from ITG and hardened up a bit. This game is best played with bits of DanceManiax2 Append J-Paradise Mix in between
:3

My verdict: A- (NOT the best mix, but a sigh of relief and breath of fresh air for DDR Arcade players.)
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

OniCourseMusha

What do you know! Santa Cruz has Supernova as well! Now I'll see if I can get a ride there!
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

Asa_Gohan

Sunnyvale Golfland has Supernova =3

This sig isnt true anymore...I have to wait for a bit...

Spiritsnare

Quote from: "zoupzuop2"*Red Zone!

SAY SPEED RAVE

Quote from: "zoupzuop2"Down-sides:
*Can't always access all available music, noted especially in Vs. Mode

Did you select All Music Mode, by any chance?

Quote from: "zoupzuop2"*DID I MENTION THE LACK OF EUROBEAT?!?

Do you mind Naoki, or do you hate him? He, along with BeForU, have plenty of fake Eurobeat-like songs. As for licensed Eurobeat...it's licensed, man.

Quote from: "zoupzuop2"*Emi is teh smecksies.

Thank you very much. I wholeheartedly concur. :D

-=-

I, having played Supernova but only once (thank you, Tsubasa), will give a review based on what I've seen thus far and will edit with every subsequent play.

Graphics: The graphics have upgraded from your standard PlayStation-based System 573 to a newer PS2-based system, giving the new title looks similar to a CS release. This is the first time this has been used in America, as Europe has been lucky enough to have recieved AC versions of their CS Dancing Stage counterparts, and as Japan uses the system for the new graphical style of the GuitarFreaks and Drummania V games. As such, the menu style looks incredibly awesome.

Furthermore, most songs have no background. In lieu of this background, Konami has decided to create a real-time dancing stage (no pun intended) with the character(s) of your choice, as can be selected from the modifier menu. The characters have been updated quite a bit (<3 <3 <3 UNNNNNNNNGHHHH Emi!) and, according to Konami, have 'more realistic dance moves', but oftentimes, the characters do the same routine over and over again, destroying their illusion of 'realism'. I still like the girls' ass-shakin', though.

Certain songs, however, do feature backgrounds, and most IIDX transplants had their movies faithfully reproduced to fit the cut. This is probably why Xepher will become insanely overrated. :lol: [9/10]

Music:
Ah, the real kicker. There are plenty of new songs in Supernova, with many of them romanized in the American version. Oh, and that comment about Xepher becoming insanely overrated? It pretty much already is.

Xepher-bashing aside (don't worry, I love the song too XD), many of the cuts made to songs are pretty decent, but certain songs are rather questionable -- for example, Dragon Blade's ending. It's horrible, compared to the actual GFdm ending. They literally cut the best part out of the song.

However, most songs have decent cuts, such as Murmur Twins and Red Zone, but Konami could've left them as they were -- Absolute clocks in at 1:55, why not let the others?

The songs themselves are pretty catchy, and I've heard many comments about Golden Sky becoming the next Butterfly, and there are (or at least should be) unlocks coming soon, so for the moment, 8/10.

Interface

Yes, although it looks pretty sexy, the only gripe I have in this department is the fact that THERE IS NO E-AMUSEMENT FOR AMERICA/EUROPE and the fact that you actually have to go all the way down to select "All Music". Other than that, DDR menus are shown as always, sans pick a difficulty. [8/10]

Gameplay

From what I've played and what I've seen of the charts so far, it looks like Konami has an eye toward balance. There's plenty of new stuff for beginners...and then you have Chaos, which is nearly ITG-style with all its stops, freezes, and whatnot...which is surprisingly effective. Oh, and Fascination MaxX is a pretty good remix. Death to MAX.(period.).

Overall

Pretty good mix thus far, but Konami, I'd like for you to give us updates concerning home connection linking and e-amusement. Only then will this score rise, ya hear?

8/10
epic progressive

vox

alkaline

http://1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3152384&did=1

As far as I'm aware, we're the only people to put up an official review. Everyone in this industry is lazy :P

The tournament scene is back!

Spiritsnare

Quote from: "1UP"On the flip side, though, veteran players typically get the wind knocked out of their sails once they see their favorite 1,200-note Beatmania monstrosity get turned into light-stepping child's play.

This is so freaking true. I LOL'd. XD

ZOMG WHY IS XEPHER ONI NOT A 15 :OOO
epic progressive

vox

alkaline

Heh, Xephyr came out fine I think. It's more like say, anything that's ever been brought over from Pop'n Music. Tino's White Horse (Shudder) got absolutely neutered. Transplants in general typically never turn out the way most people want them to =\

Spiritsnare

The "15" comment was a joke. XD I've played its Challenge chart and I'd say it's pretty deserving of its 10.
epic progressive

vox

zoupzuop2

*snif*... I can pass 10's...
...just not many of them...

Meh, I can tell the difference between authentic Eurobeat and "LIEK ZOMG EURO TECHNO LOLZ".

Spiritsnare

Quote from: "zoupzuop2"*snif*... I can pass 10's...
...just not many of them...

Which ones, out of curiosity? I've got Max 300, Sakura, Paranoia Survivor, and now Xepher. (Bag, I've done on speed mods and therefore it doesn't count.)

Quote from: "zoupzuop2"Meh, I can tell the difference between authentic Eurobeat and "LIEK ZOMG EURO TECHNO LOLZ".

Glad to hear that. ^^; Naoki's been bugging me every time he labels his stuff as eurosomething in IIDX.
epic progressive

vox

OniCourseMusha

I got to play Supernova at Boardwalk! DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME PLAYING OLD SONG FROM EXTREME, IT'S SUPERNOVA DAMN IT!

Passed Healing D Vision on Extra Stage on my first attempt and had to play Chaos on OMES (but died on the 5th step).

My review:
Steps is fun! Songs are awesome. Timing is stricter but when you get into it more you'll get used to it.  Great to see videos from IIDX being shown on Supernova (Doll, Xepher, Murmur Twins, etc...)
Kraken Con Staff

zoupzuop2

Uh... actually, the timing didn't seem too different for me. Sure, I got a lot more greats, but I think I'd have expected that after not playing for a month before then either way.

Maybe the Boardwalk's machine doesn't have all the songs unlocked yet, and that's why I've been hard on it. I'll just have to see...

Spiritsnare

Most machines don't have anything unlocked at all.

Kind Lady (interlude) was alluded to in the original pamphlet for Dancing Stage SuperNOVA at its debut, but it has yet to show up on the songlist.

Don't tell me you're forcing us to unlock revivals, Konami.
epic progressive

vox

zoupzuop2

Okay. They won't.

...doesn't mean it's not the case.
Unless, of course, someone can pull the whole "DDR Extreme" unlock dealie on it, it would appear that we have to unlock revivals.
And 0 of them from Dancemania, too...  :cry:

Spiritsnare

Quote from: "zoupzuop2"And 0 of them from Dancemania, too...  :cry:

If you want Dancemania revivals, play Extreme, man. XD
epic progressive

vox