Questions regarding console tourneys (since AC ones are out)

Started by Khaistyle, November 29, 2006, 11:14:46 AM

Khaistyle

Nobody probably remembers me but I organized a DDR tournament in 05, which got shot down. And last year On Campus Entertainment pretty much gave everyone the finger by saying NO arcade game tournaments will ever ever happen, ever (at least on their machines.) Whatever, it's their property so they can do what they want.

I am a big bemani addict and was considering running a sponsored,  multi-division Beatmania IIDX tournament at FanimeCon07. (If I'm approved I will provide a seperate thread) Divisions will be set up so just about anyone with some IIDX experience can enter. However the expert division will have bigger prizes.

1, is the sponsorship a good alternative? I remember cash entry being a big issue, and with the whole liability thing I'd just assume skip past that. Free entrance since you're already paying 50 bucks to get into fanime. The only one at stake with sponsored prizes would be me and my sponsor, and if I lock up the prizes in my room I don't see that as a problem.

2, what is the legit way to set this up with convention staff? Who do I have to contact to tell them that X sponsor is coming on X day and may want to set up a booth for the con as well? (that way I get to have a kickass tournament, the vendor gets publicity and it makes fanime a little bit cooler, everyone wins)

Please give feedback and if all goes through I will have a dedicated thread on here, and bemanistyle as well.
I DONT PLAY BEMANI ANYMORE, BITCHES!!

deepbluevibes

AmazingKenchan

Khai got a hold of me as well, I'm on Logistics staff so not doing as much during the con.  I'm capable of running any bemani tournaments, and would like to get in contact with some of the gaming staff about this.  I can also provide stuff like consoles, controllers, the sort.  Or at the next meeting I'll get a hold of you about it, either way.  We'd really like this to take shape =D
2004-2005 Logistics Staff
2007-2009 eGaming Staff
2010-2012 Arcade Head

Khaistyle

Great, I've already emailed Steve over at DesktopArcade about sponsorship. His stuff is really good, I've had one of his Pop'n ASCs for almost two years, and will probably get one of his IIDX ASCs soon. Having him fly out for fanime I thought would be great business for him (its california lol, like bemani central) and would be a great help gathering interest for the tournament and the series of IIDX as a whole.

Spiritsnare

If Steve's selling DASCs live at Fanime, I'll hit that.
epic progressive

vox

AmazingKenchan

Gaming staff anyone?  Or do I have to go to the staff meeting to ask?
2004-2005 Logistics Staff
2007-2009 eGaming Staff
2010-2012 Arcade Head

Khaistyle

I unfortunately do not know anyone on gaming staff this year. And previous attempts to contact people in the past have been rather lengthy and unresponsive. I found the best approach to be direct, and normally that wouldn't be a problem...except for the fact that I don't know anyone in gaming this year. If anyone personally knows someone in gaming staff and wants to throw me their contact info, that would make my day. :D