Anime People Might Judge Too Quickly...

Started by LordKefka, February 07, 2007, 12:29:59 AM

LordKefka

Based on a few episodes they watch and basically say "this sucks" without going any further.

I would probably say:

GunxSword - yeah, there wasn't too much of a story in the first 10 episodes or so. But then it picks up pretty damn quick and ended up having a very good ending.

Solty Rei - "This is boring", "this is crap".. blah blah.. I heard it all from people who have seen it when it came out on fansubs then diminished until it was finally picked up. First few episodes (maybe 7 or 8) started out pretty generic and the characters were boring. but somehow, it picked up like it found some caffeine pills and plowed it's way in having one of the most satisfying endings.

Strawberry Panic! - Yeah, I'm probably going to get crap about this (from the people who saw it). But I do think the characters pick up around mid way and had a kind of cliche " stealing away the bride" kind of feeling. but still a nice ending despite the horrible start.

Tide Line Blue - I was pretty skeptical about this when I saw the first few episodes but I guess it turned out for the better. One problem is I wish it was a little longer.

Bokura Ga Ita - I'm a sucker for those drama stuff but this didn't give me the best impression. Considering it was made by the same people who did H&C and H&C II, I gave it another try and had such great character developments. Too bad it ended too early and now I'm left to reading the Manga..

Dead Agressor (aka Fafner aka whatever) - yeah, hot blooded nut job of a mech pilot who is like the opposite of Shinji and even more fearless than Ayato from Rahxephon. Probably wasn't too appealing (not to me anyways). But how quick the characters change in episode 8 or so.

Princess Tutu - yeah, starts out pretty boring searching for little pieces of heart. Might be considered boring but after episode 11, same story w/e.
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

Sunara Ishi

I don't think that many people think Strawberry Panic or Princess Tutu sucks... -.-;; Nor Solty Rei.

But I understand what you are saying and sometimes its justified.
I like to give series a chance...
Like anything else... if its not your cup of tea, its not your cup of tea. Or in many cases, not a genre the person likes. (not that I'm saying that about me... I like most genres....)
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

LordKefka

More like it might be too boring is what I mean based on only watching a few episodes. "Suck" is pretty general to begin with so I try and avoid that word.

Of course there are just those Anime out there that isn't your cup of tea or your bowl of ramen no matter how much of it you get..*coughGilgameshandFantasticChildren*...

ps.. Many people I know commented on how Strawberry Panic was one of the worst Anime they have seen and so forth but whom also admitted of watching...uhh.. one episode of... so yeah.
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

Tsubasa

I agree that Strawberry Panic! had a rocky start.  The first 13 episodes or so feel like any of the other inane G's Magazine anime adaptations such as Sister Princess or Futakoi, but I watch them anyway, despite how technically bad they are.  It really does pick up about half way though and delivers more  substance than any other G's Magazine property in its first series.  I consider it horribly underappreciated and one of my favoriter series from last year.
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

Nina Star 9

from what i have seen, a lot of people judge red garden a bit quickly from the animation. i personally love the animation style (except maybe lula's nose...), but many people seem to hate it. i say at least give it a chance, even if the first few episodes are a bit misleading and it gets really angsty drama there for a few eps, it gets back on track around about 8~10 or so.

i know that i perosnally judged kino no tabi way too soon. it took me quite some time to finish ep 1 because i hated it so much, but then once i watched ep 2, i was totally hooked. XD;

Sunara Ishi

ah... yes. I'm not too fond when people judge anime just based on how it looks.

I almost judged Noein too quickly. The art style is well... unique. But its content and story overshadowed the art.
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

Kazuko

Narutaru

D: i pretty much want my soul back

and my RO time /heart

there wasent much of a story line :< and the characters were wonkyyy

like the girls were anorexic D: i was like EAT SOMETHING CHILDREN EAT

Spiritsnare

Quote from: "Sunara Ishi"ah... yes. I'm not too fond when people judge anime just based on how it looks.

I almost judged Noein too quickly. The art style is well... unique. But its content and story overshadowed the art.

The first episode of Noein scared the hell out of me for some odd reason.
epic progressive

vox

LordKefka

I loved Noein's art style. The fight scenes reminded me of the art of Mind Game in a few of the scenes. Then again... Mind Game also reminded me of a bunch of Studio 4C's stuff which would also be disregarded if people only watched it for the animation...=\
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

Barnes

I'd say the F-Zero anime. But I'll call it a guilty pleasure.
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

Sunara Ishi

Quote from: "LordKefka"I loved Noein's art style. The fight scenes reminded me of the art of Mind Game in a few of the scenes. Then again... Mind Game also reminded me of a bunch of Studio 4C's stuff which would also be disregarded if people only watched it for the animation...=\
It grew on me after a couple episodes... at first it was... "o.O" but I didn't dislike it.
However I had to talk my bro into giving the series a chance since he tends to decide what series he likes based on art style.... -.-;;
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O

pockystix

I find many otaku have short attention spans. So maybe that could be why?

o .o
New sn = Meirin

Nina Star 9

Quote from: "Sunara Ishi"ah... yes. I'm not too fond when people judge anime just based on how it looks.

yeah, the animation in parts of red garden looks a bit cheap, but what anime has perfect animation all the time? most people hate the character desgins, though, they say the people have giant noses. i personally like the noses and the style (everyone looks diffrent, and it's much diffrent from most anime, where i have seen a lot of people that look basically the same. the only exception to this is kate's mom and sister, who look nearly the same except for some wrinkles), but that may just be me.

a lot of people also do not like the... musical interludes? those stop a few eps in, though.

mDuo13

I would argue that I judged Gun x Sword too quickly in the opposite way. I watched the first episode and said, "Man, this is going to be an awesome action/comedy series in a sci-fi-wild-west setting!" and it turned out to be not awesome at all.

Something similar happened with Pumpkin Scissors.

OniCourseMusha

Madlax: Seen couple episode and i didn't enjoy it at all or maybe it's not my cup of tea.

Kiddy Grade: I fell asleep on couple episode while i was trying to watch it. Is it any good?
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

LordKefka

Madlax was kinda like Noir but it got better near the end. They held off the good stuff till the end.

Kiddy Grade, basically wasn't too appealing from start to finish anyways, for me at least.
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

deepbluevibes

mDuo13

Madlax is a love-it-or-hate-it show, moreso than Noir. It's more stylistic, more convoluted, and otherwise more of the same.

I still liked it a lot. I blame Yuki Kajiura for that.

Asa_Gohan

Quote from: "pockystix"I find many otaku have short attention spans. So maybe that could be why?

o .o
? Thats so not...*sees a plastic bag flying by and goes to chase after it*

This sig isnt true anymore...I have to wait for a bit...

LordKefka

Hmm.... PoT eh? I've seen a few and I don't think it's half bad. Maybe people are judging too quickyl that it might get worse later on if that's what you mean?..
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor