Tourneys on arcade cabs for 2007?

Started by Spiritsnare, February 16, 2007, 07:06:36 PM

Spiritsnare

I think this question hasn't been addressed; if it has, well, my bad.

Anyhow: has whoever we're outsourcing arcades to (OnCampus Entertainment again?) approved the use of their arcade cabinets in tournaments for this year's con?
epic progressive

vox

Barnes

I hope so. I think they (and cosole tourneys too) would be a good way to train for EVO (if I go this year).
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

Asa_Gohan

Well of course theyre going to do console tournies.  But yeah I do hope they do arcade tournaments

This sig isnt true anymore...I have to wait for a bit...

otakuya

There's an Announcement thread in the Gaming forum about this already (the first topic). However, that post was for F06. I don't know about F07, though I highly doubt it.

mDuo13

Puzzle Fighter II Turbo tournament.

That's all I want.

Spiritsnare

Well, I asked this because I was thinking of an air hockey tournament.

We could totally do that.
epic progressive

vox

mDuo13

Quote from: "Spiritsnare"Well, I asked this because I was thinking of an air hockey tournament.
I want two things now.

Shinigami

Quote from: "Spiritsnare"Well, I asked this because I was thinking of an air hockey tournament.

We could totally do that.

<3 I want that too!

Tony

I've heard two things, but it's all hearsay on my part:

1. The vendor doesn't want to do any "free" tournament (i.e. removing the payment requirement)

2. Whatever you do can't affect the income for the machines

again, totally hearsay...
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

Tsubasa

Quote from: "Tony"1. The vendor doesn't want to do any "free" tournament (i.e. removing the payment requirement)

2. Whatever you do can't affect the income for the machines
That's fine.  It can be a P2P tourney.
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

Khaistyle

I have made 2 contacts with OCE since I've moved and let me tell you, its pretty doubtful. They look at a tournament at a convention with thousands of people quite differently than say a Street Fighter III tournament here at the Rack'n Cue among a handful of students. There's a ton of liability to be adressed (cuz y'know, people do stupid shit.) Plus, its almost impossible to monitor that kind of thing. Honestly I don't give a damn anymore about tournaments here (too much hastle,) but for the sake of everyone I'll shoot an email with concerns tonight.
I DONT PLAY BEMANI ANYMORE, BITCHES!!

CrackPr0n

I can run tournaments on the cabinets, but the thing would be... it can't be free, there'd have to be an entry fee. If it's free, then it would be too many people, and take way too long.

The other thing would be, setting up if it's winner take all or if it's top 3. If it's top 3 it would have to be double elimination(A 64 man bracket with double elimination takes about 6 hours to complete). If it's winner take all, that same bracket would take about 2 1/2 hours at most.

I've run a bunch of tournaments(arcade and console) for different conventions and actual arcade tournaments. You just can't set it to free play, but you can ask them to set it to even mode(which essentially will be making more money than leaving it on normal mode, since it's 50c every match and it's constant matches for x amount of time).

Khaistyle

^ You've already confirmed this?! If so, then great! I say let the console tournaments be the free entry ones, but the arcades should have an entrance fee. Most of the con-goers are going with a wad of extra cash anyways, they can buy one-less plushie/manga/hentai/weapon/something creepy.

As for me, I'm still trying to get in contact with Steve over at Desktop Arcade for a sponsorship. I'm trying to run a IIDX tournament this year, because I didn't realize till after I quit how dedicated some of the bay area players are (like we're talking top 10 in the frick'n US good.) This insipired me to get back into the game full force, and run a tourney for a game that isn't DDR for once.

Spiritsnare

Quote from: "Khaistyle"I didn't realize till after I quit how dedicated some of the bay area players are (like we're talking top 10 in the frick'n US good.)

This is why I play casually. XD I know for sure that I'm not going to be able to beat stuff like The Safari [7K] any time soon, which other people boast is "easy" when it's the thing that kills me on RED 7-dan.
epic progressive

vox

deepbluevibes

CrackPr0n

Quote from: "Khaistyle"^ You've already confirmed this?! If so, then great! I say let the console tournaments be the free entry ones, but the arcades should have an entrance fee. Most of the con-goers are going with a wad of extra cash anyways, they can buy one-less plushie/manga/hentai/weapon/something creepy.

I didn't confirm anything, I'm just saying, if you need someone to run them, I can do so if staff wants me to do so. I'll let you know all the projected information needed, like how much time it takes, what can be done to the machines etc. to where it does not remove business from the machines so the people that bring the machines won't bitch about that.

The realistic tournaments to have for fighting games would be... GGXX:Slash, Tekken 5:DR, 3S, maybe CvS2...

A IIDX tournament... hahhahaha I could tell you right now, that Ferrari/Bryant will win 1st and second.

Khaistyle

On IIDX:

Bryant is scary, especially at doubles, but my game has gotten much stronger the last couple of months so I wouldn't call him unbeatable.

Kevin is SUPER scary, he can beat me on anything singles at the moment.

John (Kay0ss) always goes to fanime, and he's in that god-tier now. I'd defnitely put him up as a fair chance against Kevin.

On DDR: I know people in San Jose who were freakishly good at DDR and just stuck with it, hated ITG. Then there's the strict ITG players I've seen come over to DDR and they're not terrible but definitely not used to the playstyle. I was always somewhere in between so I guess I was, at some point one of those pro-ITG level blokes you're discussing. The thing I would want to run in a DDR tournament is something where I think everyone is at an equal level, challenge mode. Forced 1x ftw! Also, if you never noticed a HARDCORE (especially bar-raper) PA person will take a freeze drop or a pad miss and keep on going to AAA the rest of the song. In challenge mode they're going for marvelous, and if they dont watch their combo, they'll lose outright.

deepbluevibes

OniCourseMusha

Quote from: "Spiritsnare"
Quote from: "Khaistyle"I didn't realize till after I quit how dedicated some of the bay area players are (like we're talking top 10 in the frick'n US good.)

This is why I play casually. XD I know for sure that I'm not going to be able to beat stuff like The Safari [7K] any time soon, which other people boast is "easy" when it's the thing that kills me on RED 7-dan.
Yes you can u just need more time to pass it.  Compare that song wit Gigadelic, Fake Time, Aurora etc.  I can't even see how special Safari is anymore as u get better.  
Recently I just passed Xenon Another on Random but I'm considered a terrible at grading compare to most iidx players and my friend Khaistyle here.
I'm getting back into most of the bemani series.
Currently working on IIDX singles and doubles as well as timing, Pop'n Music lv 39ish, GuitarFreak around 70ish.  Drummania around 50ish.
DDR PAing.
I pretty much retired ITG after I passed Vertex^2 on expert plus in my opinion ITG is slowly dying when I heard about the DDR Supernova 2 coming this summer.  At least R21 is something and that'll be a good idea.
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

Khaistyle

Bump for inactivity. Any new developments?

P.S I made some new IIDX tatsujins they're in my profile.