Newbie Question

Started by jupiterjazz, October 24, 2007, 12:04:32 AM

jupiterjazz

The last time I went to fanime was like 1999 or 2000 when it was in Santa Clara. I didn't dress up then. Now that I'm back in Cali, I want to go and want to dress up this time.

What is it like nowadays for people who want to dress up? Can you just go as anyone and roam around like that? Or is that like wearing a big sign that says, "I want to be dragged on stage"???

And is it weird for a 23 year old to dress up for fanime?

I'm thinking of going as Yoruichi (not the battle outfit)... like hundreds of other gals will probably go as.

And any helpful tips are welcome seeing as how I'll be sorta a first-timer.

Thanks!

Nina Star 9

You have to go through an entire signing up process for the Masquerade (the on-stage part), so you cannot possibly be dragged there agaisnt your will. If you do not want to go on stage, just don't. (Though, now there is Stage Zero in the middle of the con, you can find more info on what goes on there by searching the forums, and you can choose to watch that and possibly voluenteer to do an activity, but that is easily avoided if you are afraid of stages.) No one will force you into doing something like that if you are uncomfortable with it. Plenty of people wander around the halls in cosplay without ever doing any sort of performance. I thinkit is more fun to be in costume than to wear 'normal' clothes even if just wandering the halls. Just have fun with it.

Jerry

For the most part, all ppl from all walks of life dress up and Cosplay,
I'm 27 myself and I really think no one is 'too old' to cosplay.

Just have fun and of course be mindful of your surroundings:
keep in mind most other Con-goers are usually behaved... just keep yourself safe and so long as you are familar with lots of ppl stopping you asking for pictures or the occasional would be "glomper" I think you'd be fine.

As for Masquerade, yes would have to sign up months before the Con if you wanted to do a walk on or a skit with friends, please see the FAQ on the Maquerade thread.

As for Stage Zero, although they sometimes pick random ppl from the crowds again no one would drag you onto stage unless your okay with it.

With Cosplayers becoming more 'normal' as the years go by, I think there will be more ppl in costume than in regular clothes.

Welcome to back to Fanime jupiterjazz, and enjoy the browsing the bulliten boards.  :)
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

K&K4ever

Quote from: jupiterjazz on October 24, 2007, 12:04:32 AM
The last time I went to fanime was like 1999 or 2000 when it was in Santa Clara. I didn't dress up then. Now that I'm back in Cali, I want to go and want to dress up this time.

What is it like nowadays for people who want to dress up? Can you just go as anyone and roam around like that? Or is that like wearing a big sign that says, "I want to be dragged on stage"???

And is it weird for a 23 year old to dress up for fanime?

I'm thinking of going as Yoruichi (not the battle outfit)... like hundreds of other gals will probably go as.

And any helpful tips are welcome seeing as how I'll be sorta a first-timer.

Thanks!

dressing up is not like whereing a sign, in fact, the majoraty of the people in the audience will be in costume most likely  :P(me included :D).  And yes you can just walk around in costume and posing for pictures.  I would sujest finding out if your seiries will have a photoshoot and what time it is so you can hang out with other people from your seiries. (I can't spell today :-[)

And as for being 23 and cosplaying, well, anyone can cosplay no matter there age (although it would look wierd for a 60 year old to cosplay Chun-li, I saw that at AX 06). hay I'm 23 and I'm planning on bringing at least three costumes. ;D

Welcome Aborde ;D
The sun was raising up above the high
and dense entangled spider's web.  The dew
was dripping from the silky strings and down
through canopy to underbrush.  It splashed
the puddle making one more fountain spring.

lycan510

its all good. i have a friend whos going to fanime as Buccha (from Air Gear) and hes 35 so not a big deal. As for cosplay, you might wanna look into something that is a little less common. theres absolutly no problem with you going as your current one, but if you REALLY wanna be seen, pick someone almost nobody knows. then you can keep them guessing... just my personal opinion.

Anywho, Welcome!  ;D
Locked and Loaded, voices scream "Let's go!" "Come on!" "Do it!" "Here we go!"

Ryumon Hozukimaru

I will also be cosplaying for the first time. I think that having a friend that cosplays will make things easier, but I would not know. Still I am not worried about getting glomped or being pulled onto stage. You should not either. What happens, happens.
The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.

Gin Rummy

ININ

I'm 33 years old and I started to cosplay in 2004.  I'm a late bloomer, LOL.  Definitely cosplay, meet new people, come to the Bleach gathering, and get your picture taken.  I take cosplay pics, too, and there is a good chance I take a picture of you.  And I'm cosplaying as Hitsugaya XD

Did you post at the Bleach topic your're cosplaying as Yoruichi?