Black And White Ball 2009! Updated 3/14/09 (Location Announced!)

Started by boots01, October 25, 2007, 04:56:09 AM

boots01

the doors to the dance will remain open to anyone who wants to attend but they will not be allowed inside if they do not meet the dress code.  speaking of dress code, if you have questions about an outfit you wish to wear to the ball, please, PLEASE come to one of the lessons with the outfit and ask.  the worst we can say is no and who knows, we might just say ok.
-Eugene
2001 Video Programming Staffer
2002 Acting Video Programming Head
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2010 Yamaga Party Coordinator
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

so much anime to watch, so little time

Yunri-Chan

If I attend, I'm planning to wear Sun Mi (Wonder Girls)'s dress from their Music Core Concert dance battle with a cocktail dress, so it'll be above the knee. Is that okay? .-.;;
ℓα ℓαℓ αℓα~
ccs sakura [9O%]
hatsune miku [9O%]
secret! [9O%]
2O1O? ideas pending ~
私は愛する~사랑해 × loveyou ♡
synesthesia C:

boots01

it's looks close enough i think from the picture.  but if you're worried, come ask at the con.
-Eugene
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

Eri Kagami

All I can say is I'm glad Fanime is enforcing a dress code for the ballroom dance. It just makes everything look nicer. ^^

I was at ACen's ballroom dance last week. Everyone present was dressed to impress. It was lovely.

travisokawa

Let me be the first to say the Black and White Ball was -awesome-.

Many, many thanks to the crew who set up the ball. It took a lot of coordination to set it up, keep the crowds moving and to set up all those dance classes; needless to say, they came in handy and were fun too!

The line was shocking - it went out the door, down the hall, and to the front door of the dealer's room, and it stayed that way for most of the night. The B&W crew did a commendable job trying to accommodate both the dancers and the fire department, and I'm sure they're planning for a bigger venue already. The room wasn't as stuffy as I thought it would be, though it's hard to tell while dancing in a congo line wearing a full-on alchemist's uniform.

Depending on the logistics, is it possible for more than one B&W ball?

I agree with the above post; the dress code and its enforcement is fine as is. It's a shame that some people have to be turned away for wearing sneakers, too short miniskirts, or un-collared shirts, but the B&W ball is getting to the point where people are planning a separate outfit or cosplay for it.

Ester-chan

Last year was alright...I personally think that this year was better with the exception of the dress code. It screwed a lot of people up. It also surprised me that there were no bag checks this year. It was interesting.
Cosplays of 2010:
Sister Esther Blanchette - Trinity Blood
Rita Mordio - Tales of Vesperia
Roxas - Kingdom Hearts

OniCourseMusha

I enjoyed it alot than the one last year.  I think the dress code is fine as it is since last year, it didn't feel so formal.
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

Lady_Necromancer

What about "Butou" from Fullmetal Alchemist? :D That's one of my favorite scenes and songs, and it most fits witht the theme of a Ball

boots01

Quote from: Lady_Necromancer on September 11, 2008, 09:39:01 AM
What about "Butou" from Fullmetal Alchemist? :D That's one of my favorite scenes and songs, and it most fits witht the theme of a Ball
if you happen to have it as an mp3, can you please send it to [email protected] as i don't necessarily have it.  i will be making a new thread for 2k9 shortly but i'm always taking suggestions for music.
-Eugene
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

Selendra Faye Keller

I found this dress that I REALLY want to wear to the black and white ball. I'm so excited for this! My boyfriend even said that he would learn the dances with me.

My profile pic is the one I want. (No, it's not me)

darrenfhf

At Fanime 08, I got in line for the dance about 45 minutes before the doors opened and was already the 100th person in line (or so it seemed...) I stayed for half the dance, then left so that someone else still waiting in line could have my spot. If there hadn't been a line, I would have stayed until closing.

My comments, undoubtedly biased:

1. In my opinion, the "Ball" is more about the formality of the event than the music and dances done. It's somewhat unlikely that many of the attendees will know the Viennese Waltz anyways.

2. Another vote for dress code. Of course, since I own two tuxedos, you can guess that I will always vote for formal dress. ;) For many of the attendees, I would guess this was/will be the only formal event they went to/go to this year.

3. And speaking of dress code, how about consistent enforcement? Other posters have mentioned people being turned away for wearing sneakers or short skirts, yet there were people inside in flip-flops or tee-shirts.

4. Don't bother trying to schedule "intermediate" or "advanced" dance lessons. Anyone who's already at that level isn't coming to Fanime to take a dance class. Recruit them to teach beginner classes instead.

5. Please try to schedule at least two beginner lessons for each dance, to accommodate people's schedules. Plus, there's nothing wrong with people taking the same class twice

6. Swing is King; it's easy to learn and easy to do. Waltz is the most useful dance to know, but is harder to learn at first because you also have to move.

The way I see it, Fanime (or any convention) is about like-minded people coming together to have fun. But even amongst like-minded people, there are lots of subgroups: The Naruto people. The Pokemon People. The Bleach People. The weepy Key people. The Card players. The Cosplayers. &c. The Black & White Ball is, IMHO, for the subgroup of people who want to dress up in formal clothing and dance for a few hours. It's doesn't have to be for everyone.

Saying "you should have less dress code and play more 80's hair-metal so I could have fun" is kind of like saying "Yaoi would be good if only it had a point. And less homosexuality."

Just my two cents before taxes...

Gatsby

I think I'll go this year. I would have gone last, but I had no date. Well I could have gone with my best friend, but she didn't have anything dress code appropriate. But next year I'll definitely have her bring something so we can go together.

AirEric

I'll most def go!
But, does your hair have to be a dull color because my hair is pretty bright D:>

and I wanted to request the song(although it's short) 'Waltz Katzen Blut' from 'The Cat Returns' soundtrack.

AirEric

Here are some more requests

-'Umi No Mieru Machi' from 'Kiki's Delivery Service' Soundtrack
-'Urusura No Koya He' from 'Kiki's Delivery Service' Soundtrack
-'Reprise' from 'Spirited Away' Soundtrack
-'Kaze No Toorimichi (Instrumental)' from 'My Neighbor Totoro' Soundtrack
-'Yureru Kokoro' from 'Nabari No Ou' Soundtrack
-'Atatakai Hizashi no Naka de' from 'Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei' Soundtrack
-'Madobe no Shoujo' from 'Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei' Soundtrack

boots01

Any song requests should accompany music as my library isn't extensive. 
-Eugene
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

faymous

The ball sounds like it would be waaaaaaay fun. I'll have to go stag though :D

MonkeyRikku

I planned on attending last year, but the ball conflicted with AnCafe. Personally I think that reflected poor planning. But the main point of my post is wanting to know if the Street Hustle or Tango was taught, I really like those dances and Street hustle isn't much different from the jitterbug.
Cuz thats how I roll, duh.

boots01

neither were taught last year, but we can look into them for this coming year.
-Eugene
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

MonkeyRikku

Quote from: boots01 on November 02, 2008, 08:31:31 PM
neither were taught last year, but we can look into them for this coming year.

woohoo! If you need I can help, assuming nothing conflicts.
Cuz thats how I roll, duh.

GomenNasaiPro

There will be a 2009 formal naruto gathering during the Black and White ball if you are interested contact me or Brightheart76