Worst thing that can happen at Fanime

Started by Niaro, December 19, 2007, 01:41:39 AM

Sora

Besides standing in line? Drama. Con drama. Sometimes being bored too.
"Don't give me any orders."

Bawlsy

While it's never happened to me but a couple of my friend problems stalkers/fanboy/fangirls. If you are propositioned for sex, drugs, anything you are uncomfortable with and/or being followed constantly after asking the individual to stop please for your sake and for other people who might also be having troubles with this individual report it to security. They are super nice and they are at the con to help you. Because what's can ruin your experience is constantly having to see/come in contact with that person.

Eat FOOD! No candy or pocky but something with substance even if it is Jack In The Box. You'll feel better and you'll have energy to spend on what you want to do. Drink water. You do not want to get dehydrated and pass out, possibly hitting your head on something as you go down (location depending). There are con-attendants/volunteers/con-employees who are trained as EMT, nurse, etc. If they see that they must call 911 and you might taken from the con to the hospital. Not fun for anyone.
Costume List For Fanime 2008!
~ Harold Belserius, Tales of Destiny 2 =10%
~ Jade Curtiss, Tales of the Abyss = 5%

Knightfire

They say you learn something new everyday and this thread is no exception. Despite going to fanime for a good length of time (7 or 8 years... lost track), upon reading this thread, I learned some knew things and remind of things that were completely obvious. Example: Bringing an extra bag for the stuff you buy. I keep messing this one up. I'm gonna try to remember this year but knowing me, I'm gonna forget again.

My word of advice? Wear comfortable shoes for extended periods of walking. One of the worse feelings is sore feet. Take a couple minutes rest every hour or so, if you have to, take off the shoes to let your feet breathe. Do that part with few or no people immediately around you though. Seeing some of the footwear that the cosplayers wear looks extremely painful while walking in them for multiple hours on end.

Remember: comfort is your friend : )
Starting work for Fanime 2011

darkstar

Quote from: Bawlsy on April 20, 2008, 04:47:14 PM
While it's never happened to me but a couple of my friend problems stalkers/fanboy/fangirls. If you are propositioned for sex, drugs, anything you are uncomfortable with and/or being followed constantly after asking the individual to stop please for your sake and for other people who might also be having troubles with this individual report it to security. They are super nice and they are at the con to help you. Because what's can ruin your experience is constantly having to see/come in contact with that person.

No.

This is where the San Jose Police Dept. has to come in -- this and at least two other things which I and others have spread over this board.

What I said after last year was not in kidding:  They really need to put together an agreement with the SJPD for them to come in and police the con.  A lot of this stuff that I read about some of other people's experiences at Fanime with this kind of stuff just reinforces that the convention can't police itself.

The reason that I think they don't want to is that they don't want the authorities to know what really goes on in one of those things, or the authorities would feel the same way many people around cons I went to told me privately:  Not crazy about having them around.

And to Bawlsy's friend:  One time that happens -- 9 - 1 - 1.  You get his name, you get his badge number, you get him arrested.  Notify con security AFTER you call the police.

otakuapprentice

Quote from: darkstar on April 21, 2008, 12:11:06 AM
Quote from: Bawlsy on April 20, 2008, 04:47:14 PM

No.

This is where the San Jose Police Dept. has to come in -- this and at least two other things which I and others have spread over this board.

What I said after last year was not in kidding:  They really need to put together an agreement with the SJPD for them to come in and police the con.  A lot of this stuff that I read about some of other people's experiences at Fanime with this kind of stuff just reinforces that the convention can't police itself.

The reason that I think they don't want to is that they don't want the authorities to know what really goes on in one of those things, or the authorities would feel the same way many people around cons I went to told me privately:  Not crazy about having them around.

And to Bawlsy's friend:  One time that happens -- 9 - 1 - 1.  You get his name, you get his badge number, you get him arrested.  Notify con security AFTER you call the police.
they have police there patrolling, but you seem not to have seen them. y'know, the guys with the SJPD uniforms, carrying the batons and the pistols?

you didnt notice them? then you're blind.

that, and Rovers are around to help, so there is a presence of security at con.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

Steve.Young

We will have more police officers around this year.

You do realize, that not all the police officers are in uniform.

There ARE PLAIN CLOTHES POLICE OFFICERS AT THE CON.

Just a general FYI if you wanna do something stupid.
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

Jerry

We're here to enforce one basic policy:

to make sure ALL con goers have fun and respectively obey the rules of the Con as well as LAWS enforced by the local SJPD.

If you didnt ask or scream for help- then theres an issue there because we cant read minds nor anticipate all potential hazardous situations.

use common sense please. its really shouldnt by that hard.  :P
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Sora

Another thing that can be the worst to happen: getting stranded in post-Fanime with no ride home.
"Don't give me any orders."

Jerry

Quote from: Edward Elric on April 21, 2008, 10:41:14 AM
Another thing that can be the worst to happen: getting stranded in post-Fanime with no ride home.

this actually happens ALOT MORE than you think.

again people. use common sense and plan accordingly.  :P
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Rette

I got a 24 hour flu last year. I warn you, if you're sick with a fever, do NOT take the high speed elevators. It's really unpleasant, and I nearly passed out when I tried.
But honestly, not even being stuck in my hotel room for a day and a half ruined my con experience. Fanime is just that awesome.

~ Gaffer Tape is like the Force. There's a Dark Side and a Light Side and it Holds the Universe Together. ~

Member of Three Dollar Laugh Cosplay

Bawlsy

Quote from: darkstar on April 21, 2008, 12:11:06 AM
No.

Hmm I was never with them both times this happened but yes going to the police is a much better idea (obviously because they have more authority than the rovers). I don't recall seeing them but that's probably because I don't notice them among the cosplayers in uniforms. Thank you though for bringing that up.
Costume List For Fanime 2008!
~ Harold Belserius, Tales of Destiny 2 =10%
~ Jade Curtiss, Tales of the Abyss = 5%

darkstar

Quote from: Jerry on April 21, 2008, 08:40:27 AM

to make sure ALL con goers have fun and respectively obey the rules of the Con as well as LAWS enforced by the local SJPD.

If you didnt ask or scream for help- then theres an issue there because we cant read minds nor anticipate all potential hazardous situations.

I mean, bascially, any observed violation of the law should be immediately reported to the police then -- no matter how minor.

You'd need a far higher police presence than you think, especially if some of the con conduct we've discussed is truly against the law.

Inappropriate glomping, for example, is a sexual assault in some jurisdictions.

I truly think that the con does not take the steps necessary to ensure its safety, and doesn't want to call out sufficiently to the cops, because, if it did, they'd no longer be allowed use of their site.

KyraEnsui

Quote from: darkstar on April 23, 2008, 04:53:57 PM
Quote from: Jerry on April 21, 2008, 08:40:27 AM

I mean, bascially, any observed violation of the law should be immediately reported to the police then -- no matter how minor.

You'd need a far higher police presence than you think, especially if some of the con conduct we've discussed is truly against the law.

Inappropriate glomping, for example, is a sexual assault in some jurisdictions.

I truly think that the con does not take the steps necessary to ensure its safety, and doesn't want to call out sufficiently to the cops, because, if it did, they'd no longer be allowed use of their site.

There's a reason why we the S.O.S (aka Rovers) on the premise of the convention to prevent and protect con-goers and keeps the con safe.

darkstar

Nice try, but a lot of this (including when I almost threw a chair through a window last year) is far beyond anything short of people with badges, guns, etc.

As much as they've thrown the inappropriate glomping around here too, unless some of these guys are willing to get physical...

KyraEnsui

::) Honestly, what are you trying to say about how should Fanime or any other convention try to do? Certainly, you're trying to state some kind of point about it with arguments after arguments.

darkstar

Quote from: KyraEnsui on April 23, 2008, 05:31:51 PM
::) Honestly, what are you trying to say about how should Fanime or any other convention try to do? Certainly, you're trying to state some kind of point about it with arguments after arguments.

I'm saying that larger cons can't police themselves.

Not with volunteers, at any rate.

error00004

Having the DAMN KONGA LINE WITH PYRAMID HEAD IN THE RAVE!!!!!! Dx
;_;
I was Pyramid Head at Fanime last year and I entered the rave thing and some random person grabbed my shoulders and yelled Kongo line with Pyramid Head...I had no idea what the hell was happening since I couldn't really see.....not only that but it happened 4 times while i was in there...and all I wanted to to was dance with my friend ;0;

-3-;
It was lame.
Then I left the rave and never entered again.
Cosplays 10:
Noctis-FF XIII Versus
Mikuo-Vocaloid
Blood Seras-Hellsing
Dizzy-Guilty Gear
Dark Shiek-LoZ

Devi 1313

Running into my creepy ex-friend that I just recently cut off contact with. Man, I really hope I don't see him.
Fanime 2023:
Wario
Eda Clawthorne Season 1 & 2
Reagan Ridley

https://www.facebook.com/Devi1313

OniCourseMusha

Last year for me, my schedule was fucked up and lost the flow due to people just bailing out on me and too much expetation.  I hope it doesn't happen again in the future.
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

Nick Zebra

ya know, after 7 years of attending, I would say the worst thing that can happen is your friend bailing on you and leaving you in San Jose with no money, and no phone. Honestly alot of drama occurs with people you find you can't spend more than 3 days with in a hotel room.