NewType USA to stop

Started by shortpachoo, January 09, 2008, 04:45:45 PM

shortpachoo

Here the news from ANN
"Representatives of A.D. Vision (ADV) have contacted retail partners to inform them that the February issue of Newtype USA is to be the last. At this time it is unclear if this refers to the official February issue, which is set to go on sale later this month, or the March issue, which would go on sale in February.

According to reports from those contacted by ADV, the company is planning to replace Newtype USA with another magazine. No information about the new magazine is currently known." 

So looks like it will end at 65 or 66 issues.  This sucks since I was enjoying the Kabuto manga insert each month and they had some good stuff.  I also read Anime Insider, Otaku USA and ANN's Protoculture Addicts so it won't be too big of a loss, but the dvds did allow me to hear the dubs for some anime before I got them.  I do hope that Clamp starts an actual manga for Kabuto.

Fanime 2011 Staff: ??
Tech Minion: 2004-05, 2007-10
Video Programming: 2004-06
Staffer since: '04

RyuHayabusa

Quote from: shortpachoo on January 09, 2008, 04:45:45 PM
Here the news from ANN
"Representatives of A.D. Vision (ADV) have contacted retail partners to inform them that the February issue of Newtype USA is to be the last. At this time it is unclear if this refers to the official February issue, which is set to go on sale later this month, or the March issue, which would go on sale in February.

According to reports from those contacted by ADV, the company is planning to replace Newtype USA with another magazine. No information about the new magazine is currently known." 

So looks like it will end at 65 or 66 issues.  This sucks since I was enjoying the Kabuto manga insert each month and they had some good stuff.  I also read Anime Insider, Otaku USA and ANN's Protoculture Addicts so it won't be too big of a loss, but the dvds did allow me to hear the dubs for some anime before I got them.  I do hope that Clamp starts an actual manga for Kabuto.

My reaction was LOLWUT.

I'm hella surprised as well. That magazine was doing real well and it's a popular magazine. I've been getting them since the 1st issue and man, it's hella sad to see them go. I've read the other anime magazines and they aren't suited to my tastes. Newtype USA was suited for my the tastes since it had everything, including the translated newtype japan articles. Those were fun to read along with the behind the scenes of some of anime's famous studios. And I loved Jan Kurotaki's cosplay section. Get her as a guest of honor, Fanime lol :p

Anyway, whatever ADV brings out as a replacement for Newtype USA will be good. I just hope that they continue the excellent work.
My own Cosplay Photography Page:
AnimeCraft Entertainment LLC

Shinsengumi

I haven't been buying NewType USA cause I don't really have the money to buy some. that sucks that it's going way. I still have my old issues I guess I'll keep them now. I hope the new magazine would good. Thats sad to hear this  :'(
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

Spiritsnare

Here's to ADV not being able to whore out Newtype as the first press remark you'll hear on every ADV release - even like 4 months to said release.

But then again, here's to ADV being able to whore out their new magazine as the first press remark you'll hear on every ADV release.

Addendum: ANN reports the new magazine's name: "PiQ".
epic progressive

vox

Chun

I stopped buying Newtype two years ago when I realized how old most of the news was when it was announced as "Hot off the press". Plus, the inserts never really clicked for me (Excel Excel? Super Gals Insert Poster? Are you serious?).

I'd rather see a magazine done by people that know what is actually going on recently in Japan, not 4-3 months old news.

~Chun

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)

RyuHayabusa

Quote from: Chun on January 10, 2008, 02:14:00 PM
I stopped buying Newtype two years ago when I realized how old most of the news was when it was announced as "Hot off the press". Plus, the inserts never really clicked for me (Excel Excel? Super Gals Insert Poster? Are you serious?).

I'd rather see a magazine done by people that know what is actually going on recently in Japan, not 4-3 months old news.

~Chun

Well, that's the thing. For us Hardcore people, it is old news, but to everyone else that watches anime on adult swim, sci-fi channel's animonday, Starz's Animidnight and other channels that air anime, it is not old news. They get introduced to whatever else might be out there than Bleach, Gundam Seed, Street Fighter II and other shows being shown on cable and broadcast TV. As for me, ever since I got into Anime, the 1st anime magazines that I bought were Animerica and Newtype Japan cause I wanted to see what other shows were out there in Japan. even if they did become mini-artbooks anyway cause I couldn't read japanese. That's why I was and still am happy that they take their time and effort to translate the Newtype Japan articles cause I want to read what the japanese writers have to say. Oh well. I hope that this new mag that ADV is publishing will continue that. If not, oh well, I'll still buy it for the sake of reading what other stuff there is in that magazine.
My own Cosplay Photography Page:
AnimeCraft Entertainment LLC

Shinsengumi

I would still buy it too, when I have the chance.
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

Tsubasa

As much as Newtype isn't my taste in anime magazines, it's kinda sad to see it go.  It's probably the best general-anime publication.  If it doesn't fly, what will?  And what does that say about the anime magazine market in the US?
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

Nyxyin

Quote from: Chun on January 10, 2008, 02:14:00 PM

That's a major coincidence: I stopped buying Newtype USA two years ago too.  I was a digisubber at the time, so the news was old for me too back then.  However, the fansub group dispersed, and I've been busy with life, so I haven't been keeping up to date with anime outside of what gets shown at local clubs.  Even old news would be interesting to me these days.  So, I was thinking of subscribing to Newtype USA again in May (in time for summer).  It's a bummer that they'll be out of circulation before then.

YoureMyHiro

I hate to see it go because even though its relatively old news to most of us, like Ryu said, it exposes the general masses to newer anime and personally, I always liked the artwork and posters that were often included but I guess you can still get them from the Japanese NewType. Still, I wonder how it's replacement will fare?

LastElixir

It better not be something like megami I swear to god. (That would be hilarious.)

j

Sunara Ishi

Quote from: LastElixir on February 07, 2008, 03:14:38 AM
It better not be something like megami I swear to god. (That would be hilarious.)

j
I wouldn't be surprised though... -.-;
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula