Happy Lunar New year! 4705 the Year of the Rat!

Started by Mordyan, February 07, 2008, 08:53:29 AM

Mordyan

新年快樂 and 恭喜發財!

Also

cung chúc tân xuân!

Glitch

Happy new year back at ya. What does the rat signify for people born on that year?

Jun-Watarase

Happy Lunar New Year! 恭喜! 恭喜! 新年快樂!

I just recently learned that... Setsubun =/= Lunar New Year in terms of celebration, so still getting over that. Damn you Mikey!

Quote from: Glitch on February 07, 2008, 09:47:25 AM
Happy new year back at ya. What does the rat signify for people born on that year?

I'm not sure what you mean, but here is the Wiki on the zodiac rat --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_%28zodiac%29

I've only reached my 12-year cycle once, as I'm not 24, yet. (Born on the year of the horse.) I remember that it was special when you reached your 12-year cycles, but I don't really remember what I had to do. My grandparents had me wear a silk robe and red undergarments. I also had a special flour cake made for me, but I'm not sure if that's tradition or my grandparents being super nice to me. I'm somewhat curious now, too.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

zoupzuop2

Hm. Looks like I'm not quite YOTR... figures I'm a snake.

...um, not to harp on the heavily ironic symbolism. ._.
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

Sunara Ishi

XD; XD; XD; (I automatically think of Yuki as I've been reading Furuba lately...)

Happy new year peeps.
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

Golden State Warrior

Mei

Chúc mừng năm mới! Yay!!

I also wonder about the twelve-year cycles, and I don't really know if I should celebrate them at all. I was born very late in the year of the horse, in 1991. It feels a bit awkward my age is always one year behind.

Chloe

Happy Lunar New Year!

Break out those moon cakes~  I want the year of the snake to come soon! D:
Cosplays for '10?  WHO KNOWS!?!

_Rena_

Quote from: Chloe on February 07, 2008, 07:26:37 PM
Happy Lunar New Year!

Break out those moon cakes~  I want the year of the snake to come soon! D:

OH yes yes I'm here with yeah on that one! >:3

BrightHeart76

Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

Chun

Gung Hay Fat Choy.

Now excuse me while I blare my external speakers to "Choy Sun Doe" Remixes.

~Chun

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)

Tsubasa

Chúc mừng năm mới.

Rep the Viet. :3

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on February 07, 2008, 10:36:18 AM

I'm not sure what you mean, but here is the Wiki on the zodiac rat --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_%28zodiac%29

I've only reached my 12-year cycle once, as I'm not 24, yet. (Born on the year of the horse.) I remember that it was special when you reached your 12-year cycles, but I don't really remember what I had to do. My grandparents had me wear a silk robe and red undergarments. I also had a special flour cake made for me, but I'm not sure if that's tradition or my grandparents being super nice to me. I'm somewhat curious now, too.

I hit my second 12-year cycle this year and my family didn't do anything for me.  Nothing happened when I was 12 either.  I guess it varies from family to family?
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: Tsubasa on February 07, 2008, 09:47:46 PM
Chúc mừng năm mới.

Rep the Viet. :3

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on February 07, 2008, 10:36:18 AM

I hit my second 12-year cycle this year and my family didn't do anything for me.  Nothing happened when I was 12 either.  I guess it varies from family to family?

Oh yeah, Mikey explained to me recently that Vietnamese people have similar traditions, like preparation and handing out money. Are they red envelopes, too? And go by the same rules? I'm curious. Like... how the tradition is that only married adults can give money away, etc etc.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

Tsubasa

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on February 07, 2008, 10:10:36 PM
Oh yeah, Mikey explained to me recently that Vietnamese people have similar traditions, like preparation and handing out money. Are they red envelopes, too? And go by the same rules? I'm curious. Like... how the tradition is that only married adults can give money away, etc etc.

Yep, we have all of that.  And yes, it's married people -> unmarried people.  As far as I've gathered, we do more or less the same thing.
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: Tsubasa on February 07, 2008, 10:17:49 PM

Yep, we have all of that.  And yes, it's married people -> unmarried people.  As far as I've gathered, we do more or less the same thing.

Ah, thanks. For some reason, I assumed that Vietnamese people had different traditions in terms of Lunar New Year, but when I really think about it, the rest of the culture that I've witnessed is pretty similar to Chinese.

FanimaidCafe.com

RyuHayabusa

it's 8 minutes past, but what the heck.

Happy Lunar New Year ;3

and as for brightheart: Touche lol XD
My own Cosplay Photography Page:
AnimeCraft Entertainment LLC

Shinsengumi

I know I'm a little late for it but Happy Lunar New Year everyone.
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

Sunara Ishi

るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

ININ

Even my brother and close cousin who are married give lucky money in the red envelopes to me. 

Waiting for 2010, the Year of the Tiger.

mDuo13

Quote from: ININ on February 19, 2008, 03:52:13 PM

Even my brother and close cousin who are married give lucky money in the red envelopes to me. 

Waiting for 2010, the Year of the Tiger.
Yes. Oh yes, we Tigers will have our time, and it will be glorious.