Proposed Panel Topics

Started by iie, March 02, 2008, 03:24:05 AM

iie

Hi, my friend (Batman77) and I have signed up to these forums to suggest some topics we'd feel would make great panels. We sent in ideas via the online forms and were turned down. We understand why some of our ideas were turned down but we're still a bit confused on why some other topics were.

We suggested a gaming panel, "Best Console" which was basically a panel on the 3 gaming consoles that are out today (PS3, Xbox 360, and Wii), looking at the pros and cons of each system and determining which one was best. We were told that this topic was too vague and argumentative. However, it's a bit confusing since my friend (Batman77) went to last year's Fanime Con and there was a panel that was very similar to this. Instead of Consoles they had a versus of Nintendo and Sega against Sony and Microsoft. I would think that this panel is more vague and argumentative then ours because instead of focusing on a specific console you're instead considering an entire company's history, 25 years of gaming history. Also, it doesn't make much sense to clump Sony and Microsoft together since they are competing against each other in the industry. Also, it's strange to include Sega, since the company is not on the same level as the other 3, it's a third party and has no home console in the market anymore. We're just a bit confused on how our topic was rejected even though a very similar topic that is more vague was allowed last year, so if  anyone can elaborate that would help a lot.

Another topic we had was "How to coordinate a successful anime con." We were told that this topic was childish. We don't feel it's childish at all. It is very challenging to develop a successful convention and there are a lot of details and steps toward achieving such a goal. We are actually coordinators of our own successful anime con that is on it's 2nd year, called Kin-Yoobi Con. Our website is www.gzronline.com if you want to check it out. We think that this would make a good topic that can be very informative, interesting, and specific, since there is so much involved in accomplishing a successful con.

Another topic we had which was called childish was, "Is Zelda an RPG". This is actually a classic debate that has existed in the gaming community for quite some time. Many people clump Zelda into the RPG genre but in actuality it is not. What makes this topic not childish is that we would have to really get in depth and examine what truly defines an RPG, in the video game context. There is actually a lot to talk about here. How games like Zelda differ from games like Kingdom Hearts, some people feel they are the same, but really they are very different. This topic would make a good panel because it forces participants to understand and consider the definitions and meanings of categories and genres in video games.

The last topic which was called childish that we didn't understand why was "What is your favorite Saga in Dragonball Z." Dragonball Z is a classic anime which people are very familar with. One thing about DBZ is that the series is long so it has quite a lot of parts to it, so there is a lot to talk about. One can really go in depth about all the different characters and villians, about certain episodes and parts, and even power moves that are unique to different sagas. We feel that there is a lot to talk about here and it's about an anime series that is generally liked by most anime fans, so the panel will most likely be occupied by many people.

If we can just get a better explanation as to why these topics were rejected we'd appreciate it. We're open to adjusting these topics. Thanks.

PyronIkari

Because the topics don't have a point, and would last about a whole 10 minutes outside of the console one.

Let's link why.

1. An opinion based panel where there is no wrong or right. This is just simple arguing. There is no path or reason, or thought into this. The only factual things you can point out are specs of each console, which vary quite a lot. All the consoles have their pros and cons, and each has their own game type. There isn't a "better" or "worse" there's "Prefered". Console wars are stupid and they've always been stupid because 99% of the time, the people arguing aren't arguing about the consoles, they're arguing their opinion.

2. How too coordinate a successful con. How self-defeating. Let's first ask, how many "successful" conventions have you run? More successful than Fanime? Then why would fanime want you going to a con telling them how to run a successful convention? It's just... stupid.

3. I can answer this in like... 1 paragraph and explain in full detail.

An electronic/console/computer RPG is a game where there is a statistical point value given to your character(s) that grows over time/achievement. Zelda II: The Adventures of Link is indeed an RPG, while all the other Zelda games are not. Zelda is an action adventure game, which may contain a lot of elements that people find similar to RPG's but not the main focal point which is the statistical growth system.

End of panel. I've already explained it in detail what makes a game an RPG and not. The rest of the panel would be people bitching or arguing, or trying to find a game that has a statistical value that isn't an RPG. Or attempting to name a game without one claiming it is an RPG.

4. This isn't a panel... this is an internet poll. It's basically a bunch of people talking... about DBZ for an hour. Panels aren't just meeting rooms for people to chill and talk about what they like. They're supposed to carry a point or purpose. To teach something, or to explain something that the general public wouldn't understand and would like to know about. The history of something, not just "I LIKE THIS PARTS! WHAT ABOUTS YOUS!"

Of course I have nothing to do with the con and those aren't official reasons, but I'm more blunt than they would be. They can't tell you that your ideas are incredibly stupid because... that's not how a successful con runs.

iie

And yet, it is still not explained to us why a topic very similar to the "Best Console" was actually allowed as a Panel last year and was very interesting and successful. Many of my friends went to this panel during Fanime 2007 and had a good time, and none of them thought it was "stupid", and they noticed that this panel was one of the more popular ones that they went to. So, if that's something that can be explained to me I'd appreciate it.

I'll try to explain our "How to run a successful anime con" more clearly. We would not be telling "Fanime" how to run a successful con, we would instead be directing our topic toward people who are interested in starting up their own con and don't know how. We're not trying to tell people how to throw a "more successful than Fanime con", there's no competition here. Anime fans are a community, we don't see it as cons competing against each other for success, but rather working together to further anime fandom. This panel is more for people who have to travel far distances to go to a con or do not have any local anime community based locations of their own.

And your Zelda explanation is a very limited one that does not consider a lot of aspects. If you're talking about "statistical growth" one can mention that all Zelda games do have that, since they all have a health system that increases, as well as a magic system that increases, as well as an item collection system. Those are all examples of statistical growth systems that all Zelda games share. Your explanation is incomplete. What our panel would be about is determining a very definitive explanation of an RPG using Zelda as an example.

There is a difference between an argument and a debate. An argument happens when tempers fly and opinions are thrown left and right. A debate is an organized exchange of opinions based off factual information, with each side getting an equal amount of say. This is how our DBZ panel would be. It really comes down to how well the panelists coordinate a panel as too whether or not it breaks down to an argument or not. Since we already have experience in coordinating this panel, it'll be organized. We'll way in the opinions and facts about this series, it can be informative as well as opinionated.

You really shouldn't use words like "stupid" to make a point because it's not very descriptive and kind of obscures the whole validity of your point.

PyronIkari

Quote from: iie on March 02, 2008, 04:58:45 PM
And yet, it is still not explained to us why a topic very similar to the "Best Console" was actually allowed as a Panel last year and was very interesting and successful. Many of my friends went to this panel during Fanime 2007 and had a good time, and none of them thought it was "stupid", and they noticed that this panel was one of the more popular ones that they went to. So, if that's something that can be explained to me I'd appreciate it.
You answered your own question. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

QuoteI'll try to explain our "How to run a successful anime con" more clearly. We would not be telling "Fanime" how to run a successful con, we would instead be directing our topic toward people who are interested in starting up their own con and don't know how. We're not trying to tell people how to throw a "more successful than Fanime con", there's no competition here. Anime fans are a community, we don't see it as cons competing against each other for success, but rather working together to further anime fandom. This panel is more for people who have to travel far distances to go to a con or do not have any local anime community based locations of their own.
You don't seem to understand that "intentions" don't mean anything, and things exist even if you don't mean to. Here I'll spell it out for you.

You are going to an anime convention with a large name, that you have absolutely no part of running. And you are then going to run a panel stating "This is how you need to run a convention if you want it to be successful". Think about that. You... are going to someone elses convention... and stating "this is how you run a convention if you want it to be successful". Did you think about it?

QuoteAnd your Zelda explanation is a very limited one that does not consider a lot of aspects. If you're talking about "statistical growth" one can mention that all Zelda games do have that, since they all have a health system that increases, as well as a magic system that increases, as well as an item collection system. Those are all examples of statistical growth systems that all Zelda games share. Your explanation is incomplete. What our panel would be about is determining a very definitive explanation of an RPG using Zelda as an example.
Do you know what "statistical growth" is? Items are not a statistical growth. The fact that you pick up an item to raise your heart meter... means it's not statistical. We had this arguement no more than 3 weeks ago in a different forum. What makes an RPG is statistical growth over time/achievement. Not items that make you stronger(as this is not statistical) not gaining more HP from items(once more, this is not statistical). So basically, you were going to run a panel about what makes an RPG an RPG, and you don't even know exactly. Good job.

QuoteThere is a difference between an argument and a debate. An argument happens when tempers fly and opinions are thrown left and right. A debate is an organized exchange of opinions based off factual information, with each side getting an equal amount of say. This is how our DBZ panel would be. It really comes down to how well the panelists coordinate a panel as too whether or not it breaks down to an argument or not. Since we already have experience in coordinating this panel, it'll be organized. We'll way in the opinions and facts about this series, it can be informative as well as opinionated.

You really shouldn't use words like "stupid" to make a point because it's not very descriptive and kind of obscures the whole validity of your point.
Word choice doesn't change the fact that what I said is correct. You're basically dodging the replies words and trying to make up things to defend your right to hold such idiotic panels. Frankly, you made this thread to whine, no answer in the world would convince you that the panels aren't worth holding. You were looking for support, and a way to convince Fanime to let you have the panels... not answers as to why the panels aren't allowed to happen.

otakuapprentice

Quote from: iie on March 02, 2008, 04:58:45 PM
I'll try to explain our "How to run a successful anime con" more clearly. We would not be telling "Fanime" how to run a successful con, we would instead be directing our topic toward people who are interested in starting up their own con and don't know how. We're not trying to tell people how to throw a "more successful than Fanime con", there's no competition here. Anime fans are a community, we don't see it as cons competing against each other for success, but rather working together to further anime fandom. This panel is more for people who have to travel far distances to go to a con or do not have any local anime community based locations of their own.

And your Zelda explanation is a very limited one that does not consider a lot of aspects. If you're talking about "statistical growth" one can mention that all Zelda games do have that, since they all have a health system that increases, as well as a magic system that increases, as well as an item collection system. Those are all examples of statistical growth systems that all Zelda games share. Your explanation is incomplete. What our panel would be about is determining a very definitive explanation of an RPG using Zelda as an example.

1.the console panel you're referring to was more like a gameshow/panel, not a complete debate.

2. that would be like AX having a panel on that subject at Otakon; it doesnt work.

3. mikeys explanation was a good one; one can also mention that every single game that has been made so far(save for some exceptions) has a health system that increases, as well as magic and weapon upgrades. Ninja Gaiden has a health and weapon/magic system(more like bars and upgrades) that increases, but does that classify it as an RPG? no, it does not, because the health bar and weapons/magic are the only things that change: Ryu does not get stronger, he doesn't have resistance increases, or luck, defense, or any other type of stat increases.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

iie

QuoteYou answered your own question. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
you've got to be more specific here, heh. are you sayong that it's because the same one happen last year and that's redundant or what?

QuoteYou are going to an anime convention with a large name, that you have absolutely no part of running. And you are then going to run a panel stating "This is how you need to run a convention if you want it to be successful". Think about that. You... are going to someone elses convention... and stating "this is how you run a convention if you want it to be successful". Did you think about it?
ok then, would it be better if the panel was called how "fanime" has become a successful anime con? it doesn't matter the specific con we're justy trying to share info on how to start a succesful anime event in a area with a small or no anime presence, that's it. no malicious intent here.

Quote1.the console panel you're referring to was more like a gameshow/panel, not a complete debate.
we can make it into a gameshow/panel if that would make it better, that's cool. When my friends were there however they thought it was a debate, that's how it felt anyway.

Quotemikeys explanation was a good one; one can also mention that every single game that has been made so far(save for some exceptions) has a health system that increases, as well as magic and weapon upgrades. Ninja Gaiden has a health and weapon/magic system(more like bars and upgrades) that increases, but does that classify it as an RPG? no, it does not, because the health bar and weapons/magic are the only things that change: Ryu does not get stronger, he doesn't have resistance increases, or luck, defense, or any other type of stat increases.
i could go on playing devil's advicate here but, don't you see that the fact that this discussion is developing makes it a good topic for a panel. all that is missing is a direction. there are people who strongly believe zelda is an rpg, we're not trying to argue, we'll just be stating the facts.

Quotemikeys explanation was a good one
good point or not there is no real reason in being rude and insultive, we're just trying to get some clearification here, not whinning

otakuapprentice

Quote1.the console panel you're referring to was more like a gameshow/panel, not a complete debate.
we can make it into a gameshow/panel if that would make it better, that's cool. When my friends were there however they thought it was a debate, that's how it felt anyway.
now you're just trying to change your idea from what you originally said it would be.

Quotemikeys explanation was a good one; one can also mention that every single game that has been made so far(save for some exceptions) has a health system that increases, as well as magic and weapon upgrades. Ninja Gaiden has a health and weapon/magic system(more like bars and upgrades) that increases, but does that classify it as an RPG? no, it does not, because the health bar and weapons/magic are the only things that change: Ryu does not get stronger, he doesn't have resistance increases, or luck, defense, or any other type of stat increases.
i could go on playing devil's advicate here but, don't you see that the fact that this discussion is developing makes it a good topic for a panel. all that is missing is a direction. there are people who strongly believe zelda is an rpg, we're not trying to argue, we'll just be stating the facts.
nope, it doesnt make it a good topic; zelda is an adventure game, not an rpg. if you wan to talk about an rpg, pick one first.

Quotemikeys explanation was a good one
good point or not there is no real reason in being rude and insultive, we're just trying to get some clearification here, not whinning.
okay, where was i being rude? did i call you names, or completely throw your idea out the window(which has happened already)? i did no such thing; i was stating the obvious, that mikeys explanation was a good explanation. dont start talking that crap when i didnt say a damn thing about you.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

PyronIkari

Quote from: iie on March 02, 2008, 09:32:44 PM
you've got to be more specific here, heh. are you sayong that it's because the same one happen last year and that's redundant or what?
Chances are, they're throwing the panel again. Why bother have two panels that are exactly the same. I don't even think the first one should exist since it's a stupid topic... you're proposing having the exact same panel. YAY... no. Not going to happen.

Quoteok then, would it be better if the panel was called how "fanime" has become a successful anime con? it doesn't matter the specific con we're justy trying to share info on how to start a succesful anime event in a area with a small or no anime presence, that's it. no malicious intent here.
Intentions mean nothing. How "fanime" has become a successful anime con? You're staff? You know exactly how fanime works and how they grew up to be a success? Throwing a little convention from where you're from doesn't make it a success. Sharing info doesn't mean jack squat really, because there's millions of other factors, like capital, venue, connections, and a bunch of other stuff. These aren't things that can be "shared".

Quotei could go on playing devil's advicate here but, don't you see that the fact that this discussion is developing makes it a good topic for a panel. all that is missing is a direction. there are people who strongly believe zelda is an rpg, we're not trying to argue, we'll just be stating the facts.
You're NOT stating facts, because you're not acknowledging the only fact that makes a game an RPG. People who strongly believe zelda is an RPG are stupid, just like you are being stupid by denying the one fact that I stated about what makes a game an RPG. There IS NO DISCUSSION or arguement, or anything. The one element that makes a game an RPG is the fact that I stated. You purposely trying to find exceptions(and being completely wrong) doesn't change that. People can make up whatever crap they want, and it'll be wrong. That ends the panel right there. The only reply is "well I think this is what makes a game an RPG" and THEY'D BE WRONG. What more else is there to say?

Quotegood point or not there is no real reason in being rude and insultive, we're just trying to get some clearification here, not whinning

Bull, you ARE just whining. You're merely going "NU-UH IT WOULD BE GOOD!" and not even listening. You're trying your hardest to refute facts. You haven't presented any good reasoning as to why fanime should let you run these panels, and on the other end, I have given you a whole bunch of reasons as to why it shouldn't. In reply, you just whine about why you should, without actually giving and reason as to why you should.

And with these line of posts, I really question your capabilities of running an informative panel. What makes you knowledgable in the subjects enough to run said panels?

iie

Okay, we're definitely getting on the wrong foot here. Let's start over. I'm definitely not trying to argue here, let's not make this an argument, that's not what these forums are for. We can go back and forth forever and make no progress.

We are a group of people that enjoy anime and enjoy running panels. We've hosted successful panels before and we'd like to host some at Fanime. We have done these topics as panels before and they've worked, but since you guys don't think they will, we would be happy to adjust them to your liking. If given the opportunity to host a panel, we are more than willing to work with your likings, we are reasonable people, it's not that serious, we just want to have fun and share our passion for anime and games with others.

Can we talk directly to someone that works as a panel coordinator at Fanime, instead of a highly opinionated and dismissive individual? We would like to make some progress here and work something out rather than go back and forth dismissing each other. 

Quoteokay, where was i being rude? did i call you names, or completely throw your idea out the window(which has happened already)? i did no such thing; i was stating the obvious, that mikeys explanation was a good explanation. dont start talking that crap when i didnt say a damn thing about you.
I was referring to mikey, not you

Kava

Hi. I've already PMed Batman about this. I will copy that PM to you if you like, or you can PM me here about this.

To clear up the confusion about the panel we had last year, it was called Console Wars, and it was a well-established game-show type panel that had been given previously at other conventions and for which the panelist had provided details as to the game, how it would be played, etc.

It was not simply a debate, and the panelists who give it put a lot of work into it to make it a good panel. I've invited them back this year, so I do hope they'll come.

Mikey - please don't answer questions for me that are directed at me. ^-^ Thanks. I really feel this is something best discussed privately and not on the forums, so I'm going to lock this topic now.

~Kava
Rena
Panels Coordinator 2007-2014
Programming Director, 2015

Panels Twitter: http://twitter.com/FanimePanels