How old is too old?

Started by Froxen Shade, March 06, 2008, 01:45:12 AM

Froxen Shade

So when should people stop going to Fanime? I mean most people there are relatively young, so what is the generally accepted age range? I am 24; I already preregistered this year, but should I expect to feel terribly out of place? I have gone numerous times in the past, but now I'm starting to feel a bit apprehensive.

nabechu

People of ages are welcome.  If you like going so much, keep on going.  :D

Lisu

I thinks somewhere around 87

no really, future needs some fans over 50 panel

Moonblossom

I'm 26 and my friend who's coming with me is 23, and we're meeting up with several friends in the same age range, so I don't think you'll feel out of place at all!

Glitch

Too old for fanime? There's no such thing! The only way your too old is if your physically unable to attend fanime due to having a machine breath for you or something of that nature.

Stormfalcon

Too old?  Only if you're dead, rotting, and six feet under.
My Cosplay Photography gallery, including FanimeCon 2001-2014:
http://stormfalcon.smugmug.com/CosplayPhotography

My DeviantArt Page:
http://stormfalcon.deviantart.com

Jun-Watarase

You're only too old if you're uninterested. 8D

... but seriously, how could you say 24 is too old? A good percentage of staff and attendees are in their 20's.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

Jerry

Quote from: Lisu on March 06, 2008, 06:41:17 AM
I thinks somewhere around 87

no really, future needs some fans over 50 panel

does that mean we start an 'how to be an old pervert panel'?
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Kandybar

I'm 25, and the friends who are for sure coming with me are 24 and 30, so you certainly won't be alone.  I think the older people just don't stick out as much, because we tend to be slightly more subdued and less likely to draw attention to ourselves.  ;)

otakuya

No such thing as too old. And no such thing as too young either (though it depends on the show and crowd behind it).
FanimeCon is really about anime pop culture and while it is focused on and expressively engrossed by teens and twentysomethings, there is no age where you can't enjoy it. It's like saying someone is too old to watch a movie.

AnimeEmperor

When i'm 112 and king of the moon I will still come back to earth once a year for Fanime.

IamTetsuo

By the time Fanime rolls around I'll be 24 and I still plan on going.  All of the friends I'm meeting up with are about the same age.  Sure there are plenty of young kids that go, but there are also plenty of college and post college adults that attend.  As long as you're acting like an adult at least part of the time (and not creepily staring at the kids) I say it's a-ok to continue going no matter how old you get.

Barnes

This thread makes me feel like a child. >.<
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

PassingTheBuck

Quote from: Barnes on March 06, 2008, 01:52:33 PM

Yeah, when you figure that I'm twice the age of anyone mentioned, maybe it's time to go find a SF con and dress up like a Sandman or maybe a 'red-shirt'.  Where's my electric scooter?!?

Craige Howlett
Finance Director
FanimeCon/Clockwork
2003-2016

jemz

Quote from: PassingTheBuck on March 06, 2008, 03:00:39 PM
Quote from: Barnes on March 06, 2008, 01:52:33 PM

Yeah, when you figure that I'm twice the age of anyone mentioned, maybe it's time to go find a SF con and dress up like a Sandman or maybe a 'red-shirt'.  Where's my electric scooter?!?

I don't think your electric scooter is in the budget, Craige.  ;D
HR Staff
FanimeCon 2014 - 2018

Director of Extravaganzas
FanimeCon 2008 - 2012

Hey you are my PINKY // never cheat on me // 赤い糸で縛って

Mister_E

If you think you're too old look at them
A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: Mister_E on March 06, 2008, 03:32:06 PM

If you think you're too old look at them

Geez, I'm not sure how I'd react if I were them to come across this post.  :-X

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

Mr Anime

Quote from: Froxen Shade on March 06, 2008, 01:45:12 AM
So when should people stop going to Fanime? I mean most people there are relatively young, so what is the generally accepted age range? I am 24; I already preregistered this year, but should I expect to feel terribly out of place? I have gone numerous times in the past, but now I'm starting to feel a bit apprehensive.

I wouldn't worry too much about the age thing. There are a lot of "old people" that go to anime cons. I should know, I'm one of them.  ;D I turned 34 this past January (don't really look it though.) Yes, there are times when I feel totally out of place at an anime con, but then again, one can feel out of place almost anywhere sometimes. The hardest part of going to an anime con at my age is sneaking out of the retirement home.  ::) Nurses keep tackling you at the door as you're trying to sneak out. They almost broke my hip last time they did that.  :D
I'm the best at what I do. And what I do isn't very nice.

short_storiesgl

i dont think your ever to old to go to fanime,conventions....if you like the stuff go and enjoy it. Thats what i think as long as your not a pervert i im pretty sure it all ok. plus theres people older than you attending... so dont feel outta place.
Dance Staff Second

kyochan

I say you're only too old if you think you're too old. The idea is to have fun. Just because you see more kids and teens doesn't mean that it's only for kids and teens. If you're still having fun at conventions, whether it be fanime or any other anime con, then you're still young enough to go. I'm almost 30 but I'm glad to go because it's one of the few chances I get to act young and have fun again. Full time work and real life really sucks the life out of me and anime conventions is the perfect way for me to be happy and have fun ^__^v
Mah dead branches will pwn joo! >=D<br /> - Kyochan