Does anybody know for sure?

Started by MidnightRosebud, March 20, 2008, 07:06:20 PM

PyronIkari

Quote from: satanic_mechanic on April 01, 2008, 08:37:04 PM
as for the people who think they are entitled to go around doing things because they are holding a sign, then if they cross a line and make someone uncomfortable, wouldnt the proper enforcement method be for the offended person to report the offender, rather then blame signs?

i think you may be making a post hoc ergo proctor hoc logical fallacy.  you are linking the signs to the anti social behavior, when the signs in and of themselves are harmless, just pieces of cardboard with paint on them.  i think your line of thinking is "the person who offended me was holding a sign before they offended me, therefore they offended me because they held a sign." its kind of a non sequitor.
No, I don't blame the signs at all. Of course I blame the person, but the people can use this as a line of defense. What is and what is not allowed by the convention is an argument the person can use to get out of being in trouble for doing such things. This was shown in prior threads and has happened in the past. Basically, the point is to remove this line of defense so people must acknowledge it. The signs are just an outlet of such kind of behavior and an excuse. Now they don't have this excuse.

Quoteon the note of others, i think you are referring to possible panhandling and prostitution.  the former can be solved by rovers saying "sorry, can't do that" (it should be fairly obvious, since they are holding a sign) and the latter is a matter for SJPD.  So long as there are conventions, there will be prostitutes; this is true for any convention; but the responsibility lies at the level of civil law enforcement.
But as a convention they must uphold and disallow this kind of action. If the convention doesn't address the problem, they are seen as supporting it. If it's something minor, that doesn't merit calling the cops, but is still an issue, the con can handle it without involving the police, which will be bad for everyone(con, the convention center, and all). You can state "but they're just having fun" but this doesn't apply to all of them, and there are those that do cause problems. Frankly, it's those that do cause problems that ruin things for everyone else. If people want someone to blame as to why they can't hold a sign like that, blame the ones that whore themselves out and act inappropriately(most of them).

Quotet shouldnt be the conventions responsibility to police the more serious aspects of it, and the more trivial and annoying aspects can be solved without hacking away at freedom of expression with a broadsword.  if someone had a sign that said "Impeach Bush" on it, certainly that would not fall under the category of solicitation for money or exchange of goods and services or prostitution; it would fall under political expression, but it would still be under the category of "sign", which is banned. in that scenario, if someone who held an "impeach bush" sign under such a broad ban would arguably have their civil liberties impeded upon.
No, you haven't been reading. SIGNS are not banned as a whole. Which is why I am stating that Fanime is more lax'ed. Many many many other major conventions are banning signs altogether because it's easier for them to control this way. Get rid of the problem, and get rid of the few that didn't cause a problem being just a side affect. This isn't attacking anyone's civil liberties because the whole point of signs are to draw attention. Now, this can cause many problems involving fire codes, solicitation, etc. etc. etc. all of which I have seen due to people holding signs. Harassment, people not doing there job(like con staff) etc.

Fanime isn't banning signs as a whole, only those that are against the law.

Quotealso, for "free hugs," please see:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4
post script
(i think the objection from prior responses is based upon your abrasive tone. youre free to use an abrasive tone, lord knows this is the internet, but in the future, people could react like that because of a lack of diplomatic diction.)

Oh feel free to react. You just better respond with actual content instead of just shooting your mouth. Which to be honest, I'm really surprised, because you did. Most people respond back with banter and opinions that don't hold weight at all. Your replies actually made sense, but since you're lacking a little bit of information on the subject matter, you missed out on some things.

satanic_mechanic

"No, I don't blame the signs at all. Of course I blame the person, but the people can use this as a line of defense. What is and what is not allowed by the convention is an argument the person can use to get out of being in trouble for doing such things. This was shown in prior threads and has happened in the past. Basically, the point is to remove this line of defense so people must acknowledge it. The signs are just an outlet of such kind of behavior and an excuse. Now they don't have this excuse."

the reason i site freedom of speech and expression, and then sited the "free hugs" movement (youtube link) is that the free distribution(i guess you could call it distribution) of consensual hugs is considered by some a "movement" - the validity of this,  i guess would be up to any court who would see it.

two problems arise from this. one is a big court hassle. second is a degredation of convention atmosphere. granted, i am not a glomper, nor do i enjoy being glomped, but i understand it is part of fanime, an indelable ink in its fabric, one of the many eccentricities in the cultural phenomenon that comes around every memorial day weekend.

so if you ban free hugs, and these are consensual hugs i am talking about, then we have a court battle. this is a fight that the glompers would be likely to win.  not only would we fail to control glomping, we would be giving the glomp community court precedent to wave in the face of all non-glompers, potentially.

not only would we end up failing to control the glompers, we would make them uppity and self righteous, like they are some oppressed peoples, like they have a chip on their shoulder.

as for the signs being used as a line of defense... i think the chewbacca defense is stronger.  the fact that they have a sign does not mean they have carte' blanche' to do what they please.  no one can stand on a street corner with a sign that says "free gunshot wounds" and get away with murder.  really, i cant envision someone saying "...but i had a sign, your honor!" although there may have been an episode of law and order on it ;).  banning signs will not alleviate the symptoms caused by overzealous glompers. they just make it easier for them to fade into the woodwork, while they hunt in packs, like velociraptors, searching for unsuspecting and unconsenting prey, luring them into their glompy ambush, always striking from the side.

would velociraptors have been the expedient killers they were reputed to be had they worn signs? i think not, sir.

think of the children. THE CHILDREN!!!!!
"I went into the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life...to put to rout all that was not life; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." -HD Thoreau

Nyxyin

Quote from: satanic_mechanic on April 01, 2008, 08:37:04 PMit would still be under the category of "sign", which is banned.
I just wanted to reiterate that signs are not banned at FanimeCon.  Some content on some signs are illegal according to state and/or federal law, and some signs and sign placements are not allowed by the San Jose Convention Center.  As far as I can tell, FanimeCon itself has no additional policy against signs beyond what what was already established by other institutions.  Therefore, FanimeCon has no responsibility to do any enforcement that normal citizens aren't responsible for.

As for law suits, did you read the pre-registration pages?  They basically said we have to follow FanimeCon rules and policies, and rules and policies are subject to change.  So, it sounds to me like everybody has already agreed that Fanime can make up a random rule on the spot to kick people out if they just don't like someone.  Once we've accepted terms like that, I don't think we have much of a legal leg to sue with if we get kicked out for whatever reason.

satanic_mechanic

okay... here is where it can become sticky...

what defines the entity of fanimecon? is it the hotels? the convention center? the rooms wherby the badges must be checked? it is physically possible to be on the floor of SJCC and not have a badge, having agreed to that policy; does that mean that THAT person is subject to those rules, if indeed the jurisdiction of the convention is even there?

this is what i mean by a hairy subject.  it would be so much easier just to make a few announcements and warnings to overzealous glompers not to engage in consensual glomping then to make some sort of quasi fascistic rule banning signs like SJCC is in some sort of non-free-speech zone - think of the gray hairs of the people putting this wonderful convention on because of some crazy glomper whose daddy can afford a high-priced attorney.

in the interests of the convention, less regulation in this regard is in its best interests.
"I went into the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life...to put to rout all that was not life; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." -HD Thoreau

M

...honestly, if you would just spend the time that it took to read each post and reply to them and just read the other thread, most of your questions would have been answered.

I won't go into where the rules of FanimeCon apply, as that isn't my decision/call/etc./etc. but just a general comment that the signs and glomping restrictions is basically if it's soliciting (signs that say, "Will _ for _" as an example) and/or physical abuse ("rough unexpected glomping").

Also, understand that SJCC officers will be onsite all weekend (Thursday-Monday) so if there is a problem, you can get a staff member to contact one (or just find one, since they'll be roaming the walkways and such).
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

MidnightRosebud

O.O
Oh goodness...This thread became a little heated didn't it? ^.^;;
I cannot believe that the other sign-like argument leaked into here. I probably should have expected that though...>.>....
Catch the Barrel/Prize: http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,10013.msg255958.html#msg255958

Cosplay 2010
~Bleach: Yadomaru Lisa
~Soul Eater: Gorgon Medusa
~Naruto (Shippuden): Hyuuga Hinata
~CardCaptor Sakura: Mirror Card
~Fairy Tail: Lucy

Nyxyin

Quote from: satanic_mechanic on April 02, 2008, 04:17:50 PMokay... here is where it can become sticky...
Not really...

Quotewhat defines the entity of fanimecon?
FanimeCon is an organization.

Quoteis it the hotels? the convention center?
No, they are their own entities with their own rights.  Hotels are private property.  The convention center is a bit trickier, but not significantly so.  It's an "innovative and progressive" "public-private partnership model", so I believe limited parts of it might count as "public", but FanimeCon counts as the tenant in the areas it's renting, which turn quasi-private.  Several laws stop counting on private property, even if you're just renting it.  For example, you're allowed to be naked in your hotel room even though it's illegal to be naked in public.

Quoteit is physically possible to be on the floor of SJCC and not have a badge, having agreed to that policy; does that mean that THAT person is subject to those rules, if indeed the jurisdiction of the convention is even there?
If it's in the part of the convention center that FanimeCon is renting, then I don't think it'd be legally any different from kicking an unrelated stranger out of your apartment or hotel.  It's physically possible for a stranger to be in your apartment if you've left the door open because you're throwing a party, but you can still make people leave for no reason.  The apartment owner has the right to ask the police to enforce "no trespassing" on his private property, and you've somewhat borrowed that right from the apartment owner by paying rent.

Quoteit would be so much easier just to make a few announcements and warnings to overzealous glompers not to engage in consensual glomping then to make some sort of quasi fascistic rule banning signs like SJCC is in some sort of non-free-speech zone
FanimeCon already said that they're not banning signs per se.  Besides, free speech isn't as free as you think, and it's getting less free all the time, especially when it bumps up against private property.

Quotethink of the gray hairs of the people putting this wonderful convention on because of some crazy glomper whose daddy can afford a high-priced attorney.
I don't see what glompers have to do with signs.  I doubt Fanime itself is that rich anyways, so it wouldn't have much to lose.  (If it actually had money, why would it keep needing more help and volunteers?)  Lawyers probably wouldn't risk their reputation in a frivolous suit unless the payoff looked sufficiently big or the cause were sufficiently just.

Quotein the interests of the convention, less regulation in this regard is in its best interests.
The only rule that FanimeCon seems to have is that FanimeCon can do whatever it wants.  And FanimeCon seems to want to follow the rules of the convention center and the state of California.  I don't see anything wrong with that.  It's often a good idea to follow the rules of your landlord and your government.

Anyways, I'm not a lawyer, nor do I know any more about the inner workings of FanimeCon or SJCC than what's easily available on the Internet, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Nyxyin

Quote from: MPLe on April 02, 2008, 05:18:35 PMAlso, understand that SJCC officers will be onsite all weekend
Did you mean SJPD...?

M

FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

MidnightRosebud

So, new question. Since we're not allowed to post up a poster on the wall. Can we LEAN it against the wall? Or attatch a poster to a pole or our own and let it stand by itself NEXT to the wall?
Catch the Barrel/Prize: http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,10013.msg255958.html#msg255958

Cosplay 2010

dibbly

Quote from: MidnightRosebud on April 06, 2008, 09:04:51 PM
So, new question. Since we're not allowed to post up a poster on the wall. Can we LEAN it against the wall? Or attatch a poster to a pole or our own and let it stand by itself NEXT to the wall?
that would fall under signs and theres lots of posts bout that subject. good luck=)
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
meow.

MidnightRosebud

Quote from: dibbly on April 06, 2008, 09:59:26 PM
that would fall under signs and theres lots of posts bout that subject. good luck=)
-sighs- Thanks, I'll need it....>.>...

Cosplay 2010

Jun-Watarase

Wouldn't that be littering? Lol.

I'm... fairly certain such a thing wouldn't be allowed, regardless of what the sign might say. A lot of places don't allow you to post posters up on the wall-- not only that but keep in mind that FanimeCon is a private event. People use signs near/on the wall probably to direct patrons, and ones that aren't official would probably confuse some people (Unless the words are frank, like "Hug me" in which people will start hugging against the wall. But then the wall would be soliciting, which is against the rules of course. Don't do it.). In any case, just leaving a sign around is probably... not a good... idea... o_0

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

Nyxyin

Quote from: MidnightRosebud on March 20, 2008, 07:06:20 PMMy friends and I are putting on a game (Catch the Barrel-Catch that Prize)
Out of curiosity, how is this game played anyways?

MidnightRosebud

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on April 09, 2008, 08:07:41 AM

I'm... fairly certain such a thing wouldn't be allowed, regardless of what the sign might say. A lot of places don't allow you to post posters up on the wall-- not only that but keep in mind that FanimeCon is a private event. People use signs near/on the wall probably to direct patrons, and ones that aren't official would probably confuse some people (Unless the words are frank, like "Hug me" in which people will start hugging against the wall. But then the wall would be soliciting, which is against the rules of course. Don't do it.). In any case, just leaving a sign around is probably... not a good... idea... o_0
Oye. This is getting complicated. V.V

Cosplay 2010

MidnightRosebud

Cosplay 2010

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: MidnightRosebud on April 09, 2008, 06:12:31 PM

You know, trying to find loopholes to it will probably just end up annoying the staffers who enforce the rules... What are you using the signs for, anyway?

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

MidnightRosebud

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on April 09, 2008, 06:25:03 PM
Quote from: MidnightRosebud on April 09, 2008, 06:12:31 PM

You know, trying to find loopholes to it will probably just end up annoying the staffers who enforce the rules... What are you using the signs for, anyway?
It's one sign that states the rules of the game. So that anyone not on the forums can see it, read it, and know what's going on when someone goes by with a big yellow barrel and several stalkers in tow. ^.^;; Because I know that a good majority of con-goers are not on the forums, and would not know all the details about it otherwise.
Then there is one other sign that would replace this one during the last hour when things get tricky. It would also announce to other players that they're running out of time.
Both are the same size. About...one foot by two feet-ish.

Cosplay 2010

Jun-Watarase

Again, people who've told you already what kind of signs are banned should be information enough to let you know what's allowed and what isn't. Signs aren't banned as a whole-- just ones that are inappropriate, considered soliciting (ie, glomp me signs), and/or are against the law. Informational signs like... ones that point to a gathering, explain rules of games, etc are allowed. So from that, I'm guessing it's okay.

FanimaidCafe.com

Stormfalcon

Just make sure you clear it with convention staff beforehand.  They'll have a better idea of what's actually allowed and how signs are supposed to be displayed than random forum posters with axes to grind (one way or the other).
My Cosplay Photography gallery, including FanimeCon 2001-2014:
http://stormfalcon.smugmug.com/CosplayPhotography

My DeviantArt Page:
http://stormfalcon.deviantart.com