Arcade Tourneys coming back this year?

Started by heeroyuy135, April 13, 2008, 12:58:42 AM

heeroyuy135

I remember seeing last year that arcade tournaments a no-go. This year, PC gaming is no-go, so would that mean that arcade tourneys are making a comeback?

I'd love to see some ID or WMMT tourneys :)

JTchinoy

No go.

I was asking the manager who'll be supervising the arcade games being rented from SJSU.  No tournaments allowed.  Only regular play.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

heeroyuy135

So no-go for the 2nd straight year...dang.

So really the only torneys will be on the console side...

JTchinoy

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

heeroyuy135

I just thought that with PC gaming (and PC tourneys) gone, I just put two and two together

Xeluu

I'm not staff, but I do have something to say about Arcade Tournaments....

Whenever I've hung out in the gaming room, the lines for the machines have always been too long for me, basically, I don't want to have to stand around for 5-10 minutes (Probably longer for DDR) to play a game. If you added in Tourneys on TOP of that, yeah.... No way people like me would ever stand a chance to play the games. I DO understand why it would be fun the have the tourney, but I'm not sure it's really a feasible idea without getting people upset.

But remember, that's just MY take on it.
2016 Cosplay Plans
Gomamon/Gabumon - Digimon
Jolteon Gijinka - Pokemon
Oogie Boogie - Nightmare Before Christmas

JTchinoy

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

LordKefka

FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

Xeluu

I dunno. Last year whenever I went into the game room all of the machines were surrounded by multiple people. Perhaps I just had bad luck on when I went.
2016 Cosplay Plans

kyochan

yup, it was just bad luck xeluu. try going at 2am...it's pretty empty and the people who are there are roughly 50~70% tired or knocked out asleep hahaha. Just me, my 2 cans of red bull, a bottle of starbucks frappuccino and the DDR extreme.  ..I hope the card reader is on the correct cabinet this year. Last year the card reader was on the supernova cabinet.... i wonder why...?? /sob /tears T_T

And wow, I didn't even know PC games are out!? I've been out of the loop for a while.
Mah dead branches will pwn joo! >=D<br /> - Kyochan

JTchinoy

Quote from: Xeluu on April 14, 2008, 12:40:02 AM
I dunno. Last year whenever I went into the game room all of the machines were surrounded by multiple people. Perhaps I just had bad luck on when I went.
Really?  I never had anybody to play with in Tekken.  People would challenge me once, get scared and leave.  Only my Tekken friends would play me more than once. :(

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

Xeluu

Quote from: kyochan on April 14, 2008, 12:56:48 AM
yup, it was just bad luck xeluu. try going at 2am...it's pretty empty and the people who are there are roughly 50~70% tired or knocked out asleep hahaha. Just me, my 2 cans of red bull, a bottle of starbucks frappuccino and the DDR extreme.  ..I hope the card reader is on the correct cabinet this year. Last year the card reader was on the supernova cabinet.... i wonder why...?? /sob /tears T_T  *snip*

Yeah... my issue is the fact that if I want to play a game, I shouldn't have to go in at 2AM. I would assume, and I'd gladly be wrong on this, that if there WERE tournaments, they'd be during relatively peak hours. Most people wouldn't want to do a tournament at 2AM.

But like I said, perhaps I'm wrong.

Quote from: JTchinoy on April 14, 2008, 01:58:53 AM
Really?  I never had anybody to play with in Tekken.  People would challenge me once, get scared and leave.  Only my Tekken friends would play me more than once. :(
D: I'm sorry. Maybe people were just watching in a semicircle around you? I dunno. Whenever I went in there were always large groups around all of the working machines.
2016 Cosplay Plans

YoureMyHiro

Quote from: Xeluu on April 13, 2008, 08:34:31 PM
I'm not staff, but I do have something to say about Arcade Tournaments....

Whenever I've hung out in the gaming room, the lines for the machines have always been too long for me, basically, I don't want to have to stand around for 5-10 minutes (Probably longer for DDR) to play a game. If you added in Tourneys on TOP of that, yeah.... No way people like me would ever stand a chance to play the games. I DO understand why it would be fun the have the tourney, but I'm not sure it's really a feasible idea without getting people upset.

But remember, that's just MY take on it.
Co-sign. The fact that they put ANY tournament out for those who wish to participate is appreciated by competitors but I don't want to wait any longer than I have to in order to play the games I regularly frequent along with tournament play on the arcade cabinets, therefore keeping tournaments console based is something I appreciate.

Quote from: JTchinoy on April 13, 2008, 11:50:39 PM
There's never a line for tekken. :)
True but sometimes it's fun just to get the general practice from random newcomers, even if it is just basic practice. However, never say never, maybe this year you'll get lucky.

JTchinoy

Someone challenge me, I get lonely. :(

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

PyronIkari

Quote from: JTchinoy on April 14, 2008, 05:41:18 PM
Someone challenge me, I get lonely. :(
Learn 2d fighting games then. I'll play you in any (good) 2-d fighting game all day.

JTchinoy

Sure, maybe next year after adequate training at keystone. :P
I'm learning GG^C and brawl.  are those good enough for you? :)

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

PyronIkari

^C sucks... and Brawl isn't a fighting game...

JTchinoy

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

Steve.Young

My friend's little brother will own you in brawl, all day any day. Both of his little brothers actually.

I fail at arcade games, honestly. Not bad in brawl. We can play sometime.

Wanna get ownt at TF2 or CS?  ;D
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

PyronIkari

Quote from: JTchinoy on April 15, 2008, 07:38:53 AM
then u need to learn tekken. :P

I can hold back and do d/f+2 with Ganryu, I'm as good as Bronson now.