40" Carbon Steel Katana con sowrd

Started by SirVincent, April 18, 2008, 07:31:44 PM

SirVincent

ok so I will  likely be getting a 40" Carbon Steel Katana sword from the con and i would like to know if we can carry them with us at con or if they will be in a box and must be put away some place ???
Some times you have to get away for it all and other times you must get back to it all.

PyronIkari

You cannot carry it around... as it would be against the rules and break a few laws at the same time.

You get it in a box, and it sits in your room until you get home and open it and do something with it.

PassingTheBuck

Quote from: PyronIkari on April 18, 2008, 07:59:28 PM
You cannot carry it around... as it would be against the rules and break a few laws at the same time.

You get it in a box, and it sits in your room until you get home and open it and do something with it.

That's not quite the truth, but it's close enough...

If you are 18 years old, you can purchase the sword.  That's the law.

If you purchased at a gun show instead of at FanimeCon and you are 18 years old, you could probably walk around with it and show people what you bought, God knows, I've walked around with a gun at a gun show and the funny thing is no one thought it was a bad thing.  The last show I was at a teenager was walking around with not one, but two swords, bare and no one give me a second look.  That's the law too.

However, FanimeCon has stricter rules regarding edged weapons and while we carry liability insurance, as does the dealer who is selling it to you, there are a number of reasons that we would rather have you not pull it out and swing it around.  The most important of them is that you might hit someone with it.  There isn't a law that says you can't have it on you, but in the same breath, FanimeCon says that you will have no edged weapons on the floor of the SJCCF, period.

If you purchase it in the Dealers Room, you will be instructed and asked to remove it from the Dealer's Room, to either go directly up to your room, if you have one or to your car or if you have neither (you could have come by VTA for the day), you can make arrangements with the dealer to pick it up before the room closes, what do you do after that, especially if the VTA you want comes later.  You leave it at a friends room or ask if ConOps or Rovers could help you out.  I'm saying that they will, but it doesn't hurt to ask them.

All in all, while you can legally purchase it and carry it around, FanimeCon isn't going to allow you do it and will insist that you remove your purchase from the SJCCF as quickly as possible.

Personally, I'm going to be adding to my collection from last year and the 40" does look very nice.

C.
Craige Howlett
Finance Director
FanimeCon/Clockwork
2003-2016

Nyxyin

Quote from: PassingTheBuck on April 18, 2008, 10:54:40 PMIf you purchased at a gun show instead of at FanimeCon and you are 18 years old, you could probably walk around with it and show people what you bought
There does happen to be a law that makes it illegal to bring "Any knife with a blade length in excess of four inches" into "any state or local public building", "punishable by imprisonment" "for not more than one year".  That law explicitly "shall not apply to, or affect" "A person who, for the purpose of sale or trade, brings any weapon that may otherwise be lawfully transferred, into a gun show".  Basically, gun shows have explicit legal exemptions, so just because gun shows can allow something doesn't mean that Fanime can.  That said, I don't know if the SJCC counts as a "state or local public building" under this law; I suspect most of it doesn't.

Either way, carrying "live steel" around is against Fanime's weapon policy.  On the other hand, bokken are explicitly allowed to be carried and peace-bonded if you cosplay, so if you want something to carry around, get the bokken too.  ;)

PassingTheBuck

Quote from: Nyxyin on April 19, 2008, 12:45:41 AM
Quote from: PassingTheBuck on April 18, 2008, 10:54:40 PMIf you purchased at a gun show instead of at FanimeCon and you are 18 years old, you could probably walk around with it and show people what you bought
There does happen to be a law that makes it illegal to bring "Any knife with a blade length in excess of four inches" into "any state or local public building", "punishable by imprisonment" "for not more than one year".  That law explicitly "shall not apply to, or affect" "A person who, for the purpose of sale or trade, brings any weapon that may otherwise be lawfully transferred, into a gun show".  Basically, gun shows have explicit legal exemptions, so just because gun shows can allow something doesn't mean that Fanime can.  That said, I don't know if the SJCC counts as a "state or local public building" under this law; I suspect most of it doesn't.

Either way, carrying "live steel" around is against Fanime's weapon policy.  On the other hand, bokken are explicitly allowed to be carried and peace-bonded if you cosplay, so if you want something to carry around, get the bokken too.  ;)

The SJCCF once rented by a group is owned by them for the duration of the contract within certain legal aspects.  If they are engaged in a Gun Show, it would be legal to carry around the sword.  As for FanimeCon, you are right, you wouldn't be allowed to use 'live' steel on the floor and once purchased, it would need to be removed from the floor.

Craige...

Craige Howlett
Finance Director
FanimeCon/Clockwork
2003-2016