ImmortalGeisha Kimono and Geisha Panels!

Started by ImmortalGeisha, May 06, 2008, 05:48:40 PM

ImmortalGeisha

Hi everyone!  It's Naomi here from ImmortalGeisha.com.

This year will be the first year the ImmortalGeisha.com team will be coming together to host a number of panels on kimono and geisha and also host a full kimono fashion show!  We love talking about it online - now it's time to talk about it in person!

We're all really quite excited about this and have been working hard to make the panels both educational and a lot of fun.

So we've come up with 3 panels that should hopefully cross all areas of interest!

Friday, we'll be having 2 panels:

Interactive Yukata Workshop
Everyone is invited to bring along their own yukata and obi and we'll all dress together!

Yukata is the lowest in the formality level of kimono, worn casually in the middle of Summer and often seen worn at Japanese festivals.  They are inexpensive to buy and are an excellent start for those wishing to learn how to dress in kimono.

The ImmortalGeisha.com crew will be there to go around and assist everyone with how to position the yukata correctly and how to tie the obi.  We'll also discuss fun things you can do with dressing up yukata to make your outfit really POP! It will be a great little workshop to learn basic kimono dressing skills.

For those that don't have a yukata and obi - we'll be bringing along a a few spare for the workshop.  We'll also have additional obi so if we run out of yukata, at least you can learn how to tie obi!

For those who don't own a yukata, but do have other kimono - you can bring along your kimono to use in place of the yukata for the workshop.

In addition to the workshop - we'll also discuss the various Japanese and non-Japanese events suitable to wear yukata for.

Semi-Formal Kimono Interactive
The ImmortalGeisha.com team will be dressing a model on stage using a komon (repeat pattern) kimono.  We've decided to show komon as they are the most abundant and commonly collected.  Komon can adjust in formality level from casual to semi-formal with the careful planning of accessories.

Our model will be dressing herself to show that it isn't impossible to do!  While she's dressing, we'll explain very clearly specific trouble areas and provide you with tips on how to overcome them.

We'll also discuss how to increase the formality of the outfit and the most suitable Japanese and non-Japanese events to wear kimono.

Last, but not least, we'll also discuss the topic of seasons and how you can tell apart a Summer from Winter kimono...and just how long it is acceptable to wear a specific seasonal motif.

Saturday Morning we'll be having 1 panel:

How to Dress as a Geisha.
Mojuko and Naomi of ImmortalGeisha will be demonstrating how to dress in authentic maiko (apprentice geisha) kimono.

Mojuko will be flying straight to Fanime from a 2 day geisha etiquette workshop with a real Kyoto geisha - so she will be full of interesting tips and tidbits!

Additionally, well discuss what how you can create the right look without having all the accessories, namely the most important areas to focus on to look right.

The rest of the ImmortalGeisha.com crew will be dressed in Kyoto Geiko style and Tokyo Geisha style to explain the subtle difference between the apprentice geisha, geiko and geisha appearances.

I hope many of you there and if you're a member of the IG forums - don't be shy - come and say HI to us!

Naomi~

Kazuko

Oh man I love IG, Im a member but i really dont post alot ^^;

I would love to see your pannel =) especially the geisha part since Im so facisnated by Maiko and Geisha culture.

Moonblossom

Yaaay! Hi Naomi~!

I'm gonna try to make it to a few of the panels, and I'll definitely be seeing you on Sunday. :D

Rei-Rei

ImmortalGeisha

Wonderful!  I can't wait to see/meet everyone!

slimchance

sound interesting..... i have to remember to bring my yukata... i always have it... but always have hard time to wear it....

i want to wear it this year during the summer festival...

ImmortalGeisha

SlimChance - Do remember to bring it along - this will be the perfect opportunity to learn how to wear it!

orastella

I hope there will be kimono panels again next year, cause by then I'll have my own yukata!
May the road rise up to meet you, may the wind be ever at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face and the rain fall softly on your fields. Until we meet again, May God hold you in the hollow of his hand.

Staff: Arcade in 2003.  VP 2005-2007

punk_parfait

Wow! I'll have to bring my yukata and learn! ♥