Fanime 2008 Feedback thread.

Started by RyuHayabusa, May 26, 2008, 03:47:48 PM

sykoeent

Whoa! Starbuck's open 24 hours during Fanime??? Now that's cool! I really can't wait til next year!!!

Oh, and for whoever is designing the floorplan layouts of the booths for dealers and artist alley, I can help here. It seems like there was a lot of wasted space, and a lot of the comments I've been reading about the artist alley selling out could've made the con more money in their tables.

PyronIkari

Quote from: BenihimeSama on June 03, 2008, 11:21:25 PM
Quote from: PyronIkari on June 02, 2008, 06:05:58 PM
Quote from: BenihimeSama on June 01, 2008, 10:47:50 PM
~PADDLES WEREN'T ALLOWED AT THE CON. Now I know this is a weapons policy issue. But it wasn't anywhere in the Weapon's Policy. I think that Fanime for the future should consider either being more detailed about what is not and what is allowed, or just ban weapons altogether. Yes it would suck, but if it meant that Fanime would have one less thing to have to lose their permits over, then we can forgive them for it.

THese weren't banned because they're "weapons".

They were banned, when I went to get my paddles Peace Bonded, the dude who was doing it told me that it was not allowed at all. And he was a douchebag about it as well.

You misread what I said. They weren't banned because "they're weapons". They're banned because idiots carried them around and acted like idiots smacking each other and random people with them. They were banned because they promoted stupidity... in much the same ways that "glomp me" signs do. Only these are worse.

Ari

Especially like the yaoi or yuri paddles, it pressured people into doing things that they may not be comfortable with and then if they didn't do it they were spanked with the paddle. :( That is way uncool, peer pressure at its worst.

sykoeent

~Gaming Room: There was alot of cool stuff, but I would have seriously loved to have had some Magic The Gathering lessons. I really want to learn how to play that game. But no one has taught me yet. So that would have been a bigger plus for 2009....

Magic? People still play that??? hehehehe I can teach you how to play that game if you want. I have a B&W Deck, which tends to be hard to play. But they sell some decks that are "themed", I think, and they are ready to play out of the box. I'll try to remember to bring a couple of decks next year... the only thing is, I haven't bought any new cards in a long time. I guess, the best description I've heard of Magic is that it's kinda like Yu Gi Oh... but more complicated.

PyronIkari

It's nothing like YuGiOh at all.

It's a completely different CCG. Magic isn't that complicated at all. YuGiOh is just as complicated as Magic is, just in really different ways.

RoverRoy009

Quote from: BenihimeSama on June 03, 2008, 11:21:25 PM
Quote from: PyronIkari on June 02, 2008, 06:05:58 PM
~PADDLES WEREN'T ALLOWED AT THE CON. Now I know this is a weapons policy issue. But it wasn't anywhere in the Weapon's Policy. I think that Fanime for the future should consider either being more detailed about what is not and what is allowed, or just ban weapons altogether. Yes it would suck, but if it meant that Fanime would have one less thing to have to lose their permits over, then we can forgive them for it.

THese weren't banned because they're "weapons".

They were banned, when I went to get my paddles Peace Bonded, the dude who was doing it told me that it was not allowed at all. And he was a douchebag about it as well.

Yeah I worked with him, he was the unofficial "Weapon's Master" for Masquerade so the power got to his head. Unless I read the weapon policy wrong, I dont see an issue with paddle at the Con, just standard common sense rules of not trying to hurt those around you. But I'll check with the rest of SoS/Rover and maybe next year we'll have better trained (and better guest service people working for us). I think we need an HR guy for SoS/Rovers next year. We're ACTUALLY working on a quiz/process of selecting our staff next year.
If you love An Cafe, you can learn to love other An Cafe Fans... Now LINE UP!

FanFicGuru

Quote from: PyronIkari on June 04, 2008, 12:13:22 AM

It's a completely different CCG. Magic isn't that complicated at all. YuGiOh is just as complicated as Magic is, just in really different ways.

It's a trap?
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

PyronIkari

Quote from: FanFicGuru on June 04, 2008, 01:50:13 PM

It's a trap?

I went to a Yu-Gi-Oh regionals tournament once, and acted like I was on the TV show. I almost made a kid cry when I stood up on my chair, "DRAW CARD!" (insert awesome hand motions here) "I SUMMON A MONSTER WITH THE LIKES YOU'VE NEVER SEEN! I SUMMON THE DARK MAGICIAN!!!!!!!!!!" "DARK MAGICIAN!!! DARK MAGIC ATTACK!!!!!!!!!!" And then I threw my dark magician at him "I HAVE DEFEATED YOU, RETURN BACK TO YOUR HOLE!" And kept doing awesome hand movements and posing.

It's hillarious beating someone when you act like that.

There was this other kid who totally had me beat and the only possible way I could have won was this single card that is limited to 1 a deck. So I was screaming "I BELIEVE IN THE HEART OF THE CARDS. YUUUUUUUUU-GIIIIIIIIII-OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! IT'S TIME TO DU DU DU DU DUELLLLLLL!" And I draw the card... get the card I needed, and won. The guy nearly shit himself. It was so awesome.

FemmeFatale

PyronIkari,
You just made my day.
Nay, my life.

Please stay awesome,
FF

DemonLordZabuza

PyronIkari the though of you acting that way makes me giggle inside :D

"Even a demon can learn to love."
-Me

Kaura117

Quote from: PyronIkari on June 04, 2008, 09:42:40 PM

It's a trap?

I went to a Yu-Gi-Oh regionals tournament once, and acted like I was on the TV show. I almost made a kid cry when I stood up on my chair, "DRAW CARD!" (insert awesome hand motions here) "I SUMMON A MONSTER WITH THE LIKES YOU'VE NEVER SEEN! I SUMMON THE DARK MAGICIAN!!!!!!!!!!" "DARK MAGICIAN!!! DARK MAGIC ATTACK!!!!!!!!!!" And then I threw my dark magician at him "I HAVE DEFEATED YOU, RETURN BACK TO YOUR HOLE!" And kept doing awesome hand movements and posing.

There was this other kid who totally had me beat and the only possible way I could have won was this single card that is limited to 1 a deck. So I was screaming "I BELIEVE IN THE HEART OF THE CARDS. YUUUUUUUUU-GIIIIIIIIII-OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! IT'S TIME TO DU DU DU DU DUELLLLLLL!" And I draw the card... get the card I needed, and won. The guy nearly shit himself. It was so awesome.

Video, or it didn't happen.  ;)

(also, damn. Haven't played Magic for half a year now. NOT interested in getting back into the draft and sealed deck scene, though- not when I heard that they're pulling a stupid stunt like adding a "mythic rare" rarity level to the next bloody set. Is MTG's sales in such dire straits that they need such an obvious sales inflater like this? Timespiral purples were blatant enough- at least they were just reprints.)

phoenixphire24

Quote from: Sucrose on May 29, 2008, 10:23:34 PM
Quote from: Kyokun on May 29, 2008, 01:10:03 PM
Anime schedule was weird.  Absolutely everything interesting was shown in the early morning (like 8 am or earlier).  I realize that's my preference and whatnot, but yeah... that was strange.  We actually ended up watching NO anime (at the con) this year due to weird scheduling.  Watched anime instead in our hotel room.

Bishie bingo attendees don't know wtf a chair is for, i.e.: you SIT in it so that people BEHIND YOU can SEE.  If you're a 6' guy, why the fuck do you need to stand on a chair?  Also they created a fire hazard by rushing the center aisle.  Everyone was standing on a chair, which made seeing the front impossible.  Ended up yanking a chair off the end and dragging it to the side aisle because I couldn't see a damn thing.  It would help if the strippers had a stage to stand on.  They did this one year; I'm not sure why they stopped.

IAWTC. Our group barely saw anything because most of what we wanted to see was waaaay early. But yeah, I guess that's just a preference thing and not really something that can be changed.

We ended up sitting in the way back during Yaoi Bingo and yeah, we couldn't see any of the action because of so many people standing. I'd never attended before, and found the whole thing rather weird. The announcer lady seemed very harried and kind of mean to attendees, and since we couldn't see anything it kind of eliminated the whole point of attending in the first place.

I completely agree. The anime schedule seemed a little weird to me too. Several popular shows (Mushishi and Hell Girl form what I remember) were scheduled for Monday afternoon when many of the attendees were either trying to check-out of their hotel rooms or gone.

And yaoi-bingo needs either a stage or a camera that can project onto the screen. Once the place fills up it's impossible to see anything unless you're in the first 5 rows. Either that or they need to prevent people from rushing into the asile or standing on the chairs; it's really inconsiderate to the rest of the audience.

PyronIkari

Quote from: phoenixphire24 on June 05, 2008, 01:57:37 PM
Anime schedule was weird.  Absolutely everything interesting was shown in the early morning (like 8 am or earlier).  I realize that's my preference and whatnot, but yeah... that was strange.  We actually ended up watching NO anime (at the con) this year due to weird scheduling.  Watched anime instead in our hotel room.

Bishie bingo attendees don't know wtf a chair is for, i.e.: you SIT in it so that people BEHIND YOU can SEE.  If you're a 6' guy, why the fuck do you need to stand on a chair?  Also they created a fire hazard by rushing the center aisle.  Everyone was standing on a chair, which made seeing the front impossible.  Ended up yanking a chair off the end and dragging it to the side aisle because I couldn't see a damn thing.  It would help if the strippers had a stage to stand on.  They did this one year; I'm not sure why they stopped.

IAWTC. Our group barely saw anything because most of what we wanted to see was waaaay early. But yeah, I guess that's just a preference thing and not really something that can be changed.

We ended up sitting in the way back during Yaoi Bingo and yeah, we couldn't see any of the action because of so many people standing. I'd never attended before, and found the whole thing rather weird. The announcer lady seemed very harried and kind of mean to attendees, and since we couldn't see anything it kind of eliminated the whole point of attending in the first place.

I completely agree. The anime schedule seemed a little weird to me too. Several popular shows (Mushishi and Hell Girl form what I remember) were scheduled for Monday afternoon when many of the attendees were either trying to check-out of their hotel rooms or gone.

And yaoi-bingo needs either a stage or a camera that can project onto the screen. Once the place fills up it's impossible to see anything unless you're in the first 5 rows. Either that or they need to prevent people from rushing into the asile or standing on the chairs; it's really inconsiderate to the rest of the audience.

Mushishi popular? Since when? It did rather poorly despite being one of the best reviewed series.Jigoku Shoujo isn't very popular either. It's popular amongst it's fans, and they make a huge deal out of it like it's amazing... but it's hardly popular.

Kazuko

It's a trap?

Holy shit this...Is awesome XD

Hirotona

AA was even better this year :3 And to me that's pretty much the whole con right there (yes simple tastes I know but it's where almost all my friends are).

The only quibble I had was about the ANcafe tickets, I entered the code to save one yet when I checked at the right times on both Thrusday and Friday no tickets were availible. I ended up not going but that had more to deal with the fact that a friend of mine I planned on going with ended up not making the con then the seeming lack of tickets on day zero and one of the con.

The Dealer's Room did seem to lack as much variety but I hardly even consider spending money there so that didn't bother me as much as it possibly should.

Acid_Android

Quote from: Hirotona on June 05, 2008, 02:57:02 PM

The only quibble I had was about the ANcafe tickets, I entered the code to save one yet when I checked at the right times on both Thrusday and Friday no tickets were availible. I ended up not going but that had more to deal with the fact that a friend of mine I planned on going with ended up not making the con then the seeming lack of tickets on day zero and one of the con.

(o.O;  ) I was in the ticket booth during the Thursday afternoon and Friday morning shifts, and made sure to open the window at the times listed on the website (these times were posted on the ticket booth window as well). We even made sure to stay a half-hour+ afterwards in case there were some stragglers because we hadn't given away the allotted number of tickets yet, so there were definitely tickets available during those times...I wasn't covering the Friday afternoon shift, but I can definitely say there were concert tickets available on Thursday afternoon + Friday morning for those who used the code as long as you were there when the ticket booth was open according to the schedule...
MusicFest Manager 2009-Present
2008 MusicFest Guest Handler
2007 MusicFest Staff
MusicFest on Twitter!

Kaura117

Quote from: PyronIkari on June 05, 2008, 02:11:48 PM
Quote from: phoenixphire24 on June 05, 2008, 01:57:37 PM

Mushishi popular? Since when? It did rather poorly despite being one of the best reviewed series.Jigoku Shoujo isn't very popular either. It's popular amongst it's fans, and they make a huge deal out of it like it's amazing... but it's hardly popular.

...Jigoku Shoujo has fans?! It's the same damned repetitive formula every episode! The only possible appeal that I can think of is maybe... amongst... the lolicons.

Oh.

...damned perverts.

Hirotona

Well whenever I asked the staff they must have informed me wrong /shrug

Oh well I'm not too worried nor upset about it ^^; The fact that they were giving away tickets in the AA and I didn't choose to get one shows that the concert wasn't really a big priority for me.

PyronIkari

Quote from: Kaura117 on June 05, 2008, 03:16:36 PM

...Jigoku Shoujo has fans?! It's the same damned repetitive formula every episode! The only possible appeal that I can think of is maybe... amongst... the lolicons.

Oh.

...damned perverts.

The point of the story really, is to criticize Japanese culture and how it works. Frankly... I doubt 99% of the American fan base even remotely understood it, or how it applied. But yeah, it is niche fan circle. But that circle really likes it for some reason.

Mushishi is great. It's not popular, but I do with it was shown at a better time just to expose more people to the series.

Mister_E

It's a trap?

That does sound awesome on a whole other level, now were you yelling for all to hear or yelling to get you point by but not cause a scene?
A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%