Fanime 2008 Feedback thread.

Started by RyuHayabusa, May 26, 2008, 03:47:48 PM

Kaura117

Quote from: PyronIkari on June 05, 2008, 07:03:51 PM
Quote from: Kaura117 on June 05, 2008, 03:16:36 PM

...Jigoku Shoujo has fans?! It's the same damned repetitive formula every episode! The only possible appeal that I can think of is maybe... amongst... the lolicons.

Oh.

...damned perverts.

The point of the story really, is to criticize Japanese culture and how it works. Frankly... I doubt 99% of the American fan base even remotely understood it, or how it applied. But yeah, it is niche fan circle. But that circle really likes it for some reason.

Mushishi is great. It's not popular, but I do with it was shown at a better time just to expose more people to the series.

Oh, I got its message. Some of it cross-applies to other Asiatic cultural trends. Doesn't stop it from being a boring waste of time, though.

Jelly Soup

Quote from: Jelly Soup on May 26, 2008, 06:17:52 PM-When someone (a lot of someones) tells you you're running the wrong movie, don't ignore them and gyp the crowed out of a movie.

It was requested (via PM) that I explain this further.

There were supposed to be two One Piece movies played over the con. On the first night, the little twit running the computer showed the second movie we were to see. Several people, me included, told her it was the wrong one. Hell, we showed right on the screen where the correct file was located (we saw it before she, for some reason, started Endless Waltz).

On the second night, we had a different person running the show. We explained the situation to him. He sympathized, but said that he had to stick to the schedule, advising that next time we get an ops to set the person straight.

HuggalotXOmocha

Good:

I managed to get the items I wanted in the Dealers room. I've met more friendly faces, and familiar ones as well. I didn't struggle with hotel payments. I went to my first gathering.

Bad:

I didn't have anyone to hang out with[abandoned a lot]. My feet kept hurting[as expected].  My friend loves to eat all the food in my hotel. I couldn't stop giggling in the gathering pictures DX. Holding 'hug me signs' was considered 'prostitution', lolz.

Shinsengumi

I had a great time this year like last year, my first fanime as couple with me and my girlfriend. I was able to find the stuff that I want at the dealers room, the gatherings were awesome. Just the masquerade there was some skits that I like but I didn't like all of them. It was great spending time with friends that I haven't seen for about a year and spending time with friends from the bay area as well. I already pre-reg for 2009 so I'll see ya next year in 2009.
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

CharAznable

Pros:
-AMV Contest: Much better than last year, Montage 3, Day-oh, Ouran Spectacular, Code Moneky and the Gurren Lagann Be a Man were all awesome
-Registration: It felt like it was a lot quicker this year, seemed well organized
-Masquerade MCing: Ric Myers did a great job MCing, he was very entertaining
-Artist Alley: Lots of cool stuff there this year

Cons:
-Masquerade: The skits weren't as good as last year, plus it was difficult to here what some of the groups were saying, and the Haruhi dance got really annoying
-Video Rooms: Some of the shows and movies started early, some things were randomly replaced with no explanation
-Gaming Room: Could have used a few more tables, especially with all of the tournaments going on it was a bit difficult to find a table to play the tabletop stuff
-The plastic badge holder was kinda cheap, mine tore and i know some other peoples did too, I preferred the clip from last year

Mister_E

Yeah I enjoyed the Masquerade I think everyone did a good job but I thought that the bar was raised too high from 2007 (That was a good year) and not a lot of people could top that I was no different, a few others agreed with me after the skits.
A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

Aishasama

I don't have much to say in the traditional "pro/con" way, simply because I've somewhat grown used to dealing with "con problems".

I've had a thought about the whole Staffer situation. It seems that most of the problems come from miscommunication or lack-of-training. What I'd suggest is to make the staff/volunteer hierarchy public domain (either in a physical tree-chart or some kind of table). Now, I realize the staffer's need for privacy, but I think a name/handle and perhaps an e-mail address would suffice (however, perhaps staff would be able to view things in greater detail, such as cell numbers). If that "staff" position has yet to be filled, just put TBD.

What this works to do is let people know who to talk to, and what to expect. It would be easier to forsee problems and react to at-con problems. Especially if this was on the Fanime site, it'd make communication much easier.

Pimpstress Rei

Quote from: Aishasama on June 19, 2008, 06:20:21 PM
I don't have much to say in the traditional "pro/con" way, simply because I've somewhat grown used to dealing with "con problems".

I've had a thought about the whole Staffer situation. It seems that most of the problems come from miscommunication or lack-of-training. What I'd suggest is to make the staff/volunteer hierarchy public domain (either in a physical tree-chart or some kind of table). Now, I realize the staffer's need for privacy, but I think a name/handle and perhaps an e-mail address would suffice (however, perhaps staff would be able to view things in greater detail, such as cell numbers). If that "staff" position has yet to be filled, just put TBD.

What this works to do is let people know who to talk to, and what to expect. It would be easier to forsee problems and react to at-con problems. Especially if this was on the Fanime site, it'd make communication much easier.

Perhaps on the staff site, but we don't think it would be a good idea for attendees to know who to contact for every little thing. Even with staff, you'd be surprised how many times they jump over their boss and believe their questions/concerns should be elevated to the Chair. No, your question about the types of anime that should be played next year shouldn't go straight to the Chair. It should go the Video Programming Manager. If you have questions about the price of food, not that we can do anything about it since it's up to the convention center, should go to Facilities, not to the Chair. If your Department Manager is not available, then bring it up to your Division Director.

We announce the Division Directors and Department Managers at the meetings. If you have questions, and if you're on staff, then you should bring your concerns to your head, there. If you're an attendee, then when the website gets back up, there will be e-mail addresses available to help you address your concerns.
Marie F.
Vice-Chair 2009-2011
Assistant Director of Marketing 2008
Publications Manager 2006, 2007
Con Mom forever o.O

fanime_lo-ve

I had a wonderful time at Fanime 08, the only thing I didn't agree with was the hotel arangements. I went through the trouble to book in advance and the Marriot screws up on my room. I was livided that day it happen, but I feel a little calmer now. It was just a real hassle. I felt like I wasn't being treated as a costumer, but as someone whodidn't seem worth their time. >3> I could go on...but I'm just glad its over with.
(>*0*)>Cosplays for 2010:<(*3*<)
{Soul Eater}-Mira Nygus
{Naruto Shippuuden}-7th Tailed (Shichibi)
{Bleach}- (Pendulum Arc) Yoruichi
{Teen Titans}- Bumble Bee
{Left for Dead 2}- Rochelle

Poacher

I know alot of people will disagree with me on this (and i guess thats kinda the point of this thread) but I honestly got up and walked out of the mascaraed with all of my friends after about the 8th or 9th group.  I'm tired of mascaraed shows that are based around inside jokes that you HAVE to be OBSESSED with the certain show to understand and find funny.  I laughed at ONE joke the entire time i was there, aside from that one joke i sat there confused doing my best to understand what was so damn funny.  Please for the love of god, come up with a mascaraed skit that most people (if not everyone) can benefit from.  In all honesty i saw my attendance (or rather what i did attend) of the 2008 Mascaraed to be a waste of my time.
~Butchering the art of Zen one living room at a time~

jemz

Quote from: Poacher on July 02, 2008, 03:47:01 PM
I know alot of people will disagree with me on this (and i guess thats kinda the point of this thread) but I honestly got up and walked out of the mascaraed with all of my friends after about the 8th or 9th group.  I'm tired of mascaraed shows that are based around inside jokes that you HAVE to be OBSESSED with the certain show to understand and find funny.  I laughed at ONE joke the entire time i was there, aside from that one joke i sat there confused doing my best to understand what was so damn funny.  Please for the love of god, come up with a mascaraed skit that most people (if not everyone) can benefit from.  In all honesty i saw my attendance (or rather what i did attend) of the 2008 Mascaraed to be a waste of my time.

Thanks for the feedback. Just keep in mind that we hold the show but the content of the Masquerade is entirely up to your fellow attendees. And so the current challenge for them (and any cosplaying group interested in performing) for 2009 is to come up with more interesting skits/performances.
HR Staff
FanimeCon 2014 - 2018

Director of Extravaganzas
FanimeCon 2008 - 2012

Hey you are my PINKY // never cheat on me // 赤い糸で縛って

Poacher

oh i know, and i was hoping that it would be the attendees themselves who would read this in the course of reading through other's feedback (much the same way i did).
~Butchering the art of Zen one living room at a time~

Oathkeeper

Quote from: Poacher on July 02, 2008, 03:47:01 PM

I am sad you didn't attend the whole thing. The group I am in (Candy Mountain Cosplay) performed last...

no real inside jokes thar... anyway...

I'm planning for next year. Maybe you'll enjoy! I hope so!
fanime 2009
Kaname Kuran
...teh smexiest you'll ever see. ;)

Thisiskat

I did have one compliant, when trying find someone to get the video program problem fixed it took about half hour to search for said person and we never actually did end up finding them. We had a group of people looking too, including 2 staff. Granted I know that's hard to control but it would be nice to have more than just the one person in control of videos.

sunrise-oasis

pro: There are several things that I like, one of them i am thankful to make some new friends with the department of ears and tails!. They did a very well job on their business and I am very happy they did a very succesful job.
The tables is abit longer than I expected
-photoshoping to trick a certain person who will be renamed nameless!!!!
-SOMETHING HAPPENED DURING THE HOTELS THAT I WILL NOT ANNOUNCE IN PUBLIC! FOR CHRIST SAKE PLEASE KEEP SECURITY MAINTANE! I NEARLY HAD A HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE IN THE HOTEL THAT SOME IDIOT MEMBER/STAFF TRIED TO DO AN IMPROPER JOKE. I Ask for Security assistance but instead i got FEDERAL ASSITANCE i am very greatful for their services but thsi was the first horrible thing that I have ever encounter!.

Cons:
-The staff (one member) is very hard to cooperate. The administrator (wont ask which department) did her best to keep things in management but there were times where she was helpful and there were some times i was very frustrated and insulted!

-Tables were Completely IMPROPERLY safe, 2 tables were about to collapse (will not ask which ones), 18 tables had POOORLY improper staple hits, 4 members of the artists are injured and were required by medical attention!. I was one of them and I had to rub it off with alchole and bandages! I REALLY SUGGEST TO change this process because It was a very painful injury! I also reported this to the administrator and so far I had a hard time to believe if she was scratched or injured!

-Account management (PAYMENT arriving) was very very bad. I was very worried about how the payment would work through but in the process everything was late. badges was replace with paper photocopies. Please tried to keep things in order.

-The artist administrator did contact me and I also contacted her but something happened!.....
She said that She tried to email me many many times about the table registrations, but did not went through my email. I know it was her responsiblity to fix this issue but she did not do a well proper job, the table I was assign was late because of her!!. Normally I would be having a great time and enjoy my time but the way things were i was sent back to the end. i was lucky that the autograph session was there along with the ears and tails comp. but I really hoe this never happens again!.
:please note I did contact her many times and she contacted me many times but in the end. I DON"T KNOW how she did not send me a notification of the table listings! This was the largest insult and most heartbraking to keep in my heart!

-new policy, Electricity was very very absent and there was 56 people using the outlets for their purposes. PLEASE KEEP IN TACT to add a lock settings to all electrical outlets! my other employer was threaten by one of your members that electricty in the artist row is not provided for members and the artist community due to the fact that it was un-affordable. I recomend you (the staff of artist row) to do paper and pencil because i know you have power for your World of Warcraft/everquest entermainent. PLEASENOTE all staff members should be doing their work. Not their leisure entertainment! if its too bored they can use either take a break or Walk around and see other peoples smile! I REALLY recommend that ALL electrical OUTLETS BE SHUT DOWN within the artist row only!
note: this includes people who want to recharge the battery, recharge their portable cellulars, Recharge the notebooks, and other electrical appliances~!

-SOMETHING HAPPENED DURING THE HOTELS THAT I WILL NOT ANNOUNCE IN PUBLIC! FOR CHRIST SAKE PLEASE KEEP SECURITY MAINTANE! I NEARLY HAD A HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE IN THE HOTEL THAT SOME IDIOT MEMBER/STAFF TRIED TO DO AN IMPROPER JOKE. I ASk for ZSecurity assistance but instead i got FEDERAL ASSITANCE i am very greatful for their services but thsi was the first horrible thing that I have ever encounter!.

please be advise im not complaining but this is regarding about safety and First time experience,.......I will attend those meetings and Will talk to you one by one!
Thank you for your consideration and reading!

Jelly Soup

Quote from: sunrise-oasis on September 20, 2008, 08:02:31 PM
-new policy, Electricity was very very absent and there was 56 people using the outlets for their purposes. PLEASE KEEP IN TACT to add a lock settings to all electrical outlets! my other employer was threaten by one of your members that electricty in the artist row is not provided for members and the artist community due to the fact that it was un-affordable. I recomend you (the staff of artist row) to do paper and pencil because i know you have power for your World of Warcraft/everquest entermainent. PLEASENOTE all staff members should be doing their work. Not their leisure entertainment! if its too bored they can use either take a break or Walk around and see other peoples smile! I REALLY recommend that ALL electrical OUTLETS BE SHUT DOWN within the artist row only!
note: this includes people who want to recharge the battery, recharge their portable cellulars, Recharge the notebooks, and other electrical appliances~!

What? You're kinda jumping around here. There wasn't enough plugs on the artist row, is that what you're getting at?

ewu

Tables: I apologize for the tables. The staples are notoriously unpredictable. Let the AA staff know and they can contact the decorator to rectify the situation

Payment delay: We had a combination of some reorganization and some mis-communications. We continue to work towards the improvement of Fanime.

Contact problems: We repeatedly attempted to contact you via e-mail. We were unaware you were not receiving our e-mails and were under the impression that you were no longer interested in exhibiting at the alley.

Electricity: Simply put, outlets are far too expensive to have on a per table basis. They would be roughly $120 per outlet. We are willing to offer outlets to be shared by a group of tables but that must be requested. The gaming room is an entirely different situation as those room's designs are just for gaming, whereas the alley is setup for exhibition. We provide the one outlet at the staff table for charging items, and we ask that you not abuse that privilege.

Thank you for your comments and we will keep them in mind in this year's planing
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Oniko

I agree, 2007 was just too good a year.  But anyways these people work very hard on their skits I'd like to believe.  Where I find walkons pretty boring I see their point for putting them spread throughout the show.  If they waited till the end no one would probably stick around. 
There are only two problems I had with the Show this year.  I missed the MC from 2007 he was awesome and so funny.  Even his little walk ons for 2008 were funny.  Ask him to do it again!
The second problem is more of a complaint about the audience.  I know there was a lot of Haruhi dancing but it really ticked me off when the audience started booing outright at the preformers.  It takes a lot of guts to go up there infront of a crowd.  I just wanted to punch those people...

To the girl that did the Nico Nico song for an opening, that was awesome!  We should have more openings like that.
06- Ragnarok Huntress / 07- Haruhi Suzumiya
08- Shana / 09 - Luluko
10 - Holo / 11 - Flaaffy
12 - Inga / 13 - Lizbeth

sunrise-oasis

Tables: Just try using those safety clips, they are kinda cheap and they prevent to injure anyone. Its just a nice idea though.

Payment: Im happy it went through, and I was able to get the table!

Contacts: HOW can my email rejected???? i did'nt recieve ANy emails.if it did'nt went through, why did'nt stacy notified me with the other email i provided her? I know she was working very hard but, I tried to contact her and her emails bounced right off, if I paid you guys, then you know i wanted the table so badly! I worked very hard to earn that table!

electricty: I Suggest to get something to Locked the plugs. It was'nt the gaming I was talking about, IT was the artist row. I saw 2 peopl using the outling to charge their cameras (and they are not professionals, just average people taking advantage to your electricity without payment), then 1 guy shows up with his camcorder on the other side of the Auction area NEXT to you recharging. Then came another guy with his Computer and charged it there for 1 hour, left the bag and told someone to stay hear and make sure no one stole my computer). I think its time you should locked those sockets with a plastic plug that does'nt come off!. I know you can provide electricity to some people. but after that Threat we got from Stacy, it was just heartbroken!. He did'nt mean to do anyharm! Try something to plug those things and get more enforcements to make sure no one gets them. Otherwise I can prove to you that I can get electricty for free without having you guys know it!

Advice: Add a SECOND email address on all table artrow forms
Also.. why did'nt you contact us through the telephone? I was very sure Stacy/ some moderator would have the time to contact us and notify us!. and please don't say "you don't have enough time" you have some people there that is willing to help you!.....

Idea: Just to be safe, I think its time you guys choose the tables and not us, because i fear that the process is go by emails one by one and in the end result the first 30 people you notify will get the tables first before any of us can! I don't know if you contacted them by who pays first (i doubt this because you need clearance from the payment department) so I assume you guys went random!

Quote from: ewu on September 22, 2008, 12:21:48 AM
Tables: I apologize for the tables. The staples are notoriously unpredictable. Let the AA staff know and they can contact the decorator to rectify the situation

Payment delay: We had a combination of some reorganization and some mis-communications. We continue to work towards the improvement of Fanime.

Contact problems: We repeatedly attempted to contact you via e-mail. We were unaware you were not receiving our e-mails and were under the impression that you were no longer interested in exhibiting at the alley.

Electricity: Simply put, outlets are far too expensive to have on a per table basis. They would be roughly $120 per outlet. We are willing to offer outlets to be shared by a group of tables but that must be requested. The gaming room is an entirely different situation as those room's designs are just for gaming, whereas the alley is setup for exhibition. We provide the one outlet at the staff table for charging items, and we ask that you not abuse that privilege.

Thank you for your comments and we will keep them in mind in this year's planing

ewu

We contract out decoration and everything in the room that isn't the room itself. I will try to notify the decorator, but in the end it is their discretion what they use.

There are many reasons why an e-mail fails and the staff performed all reasonable steps to contact you. In the end, you were placed. There are 200+ other artists to take in account. It is unfortunate that circumstances did not end in your favor. I hope that this does not happen again this year.

I am sure that the AA staff has noted your electrical concerns. I will see if we can review the policy regarding the power use in the room.

We'll take your suggestions in account and look at how we can improve AA.

Quote from: sunrise-oasis on October 03, 2008, 02:21:41 AM
Tables: Just try using those safety clips, they are kinda cheap and they prevent to injure anyone. Its just a nice idea though.

Payment: Im happy it went through, and I was able to get the table!

Contacts: HOW can my email rejected???? i did'nt recieve ANy emails.if it did'nt went through, why did'nt stacy notified me with the other email i provided her? I know she was working very hard but, I tried to contact her and her emails bounced right off, if I paid you guys, then you know i wanted the table so badly! I worked very hard to earn that table!

electricty: I Suggest to get something to Locked the plugs. It was'nt the gaming I was talking about, IT was the artist row. I saw 2 peopl using the outling to charge their cameras (and they are not professionals, just average people taking advantage to your electricity without payment), then 1 guy shows up with his camcorder on the other side of the Auction area NEXT to you recharging. Then came another guy with his Computer and charged it there for 1 hour, left the bag and told someone to stay hear and make sure no one stole my computer). I think its time you should locked those sockets with a plastic plug that does'nt come off!. I know you can provide electricity to some people. but after that Threat we got from Stacy, it was just heartbroken!. He did'nt mean to do anyharm! Try something to plug those things and get more enforcements to make sure no one gets them. Otherwise I can prove to you that I can get electricty for free without having you guys know it!

Advice: Add a SECOND email address on all table artrow forms
Also.. why did'nt you contact us through the telephone? I was very sure Stacy/ some moderator would have the time to contact us and notify us!. and please don't say "you don't have enough time" you have some people there that is willing to help you!.....

Idea: Just to be safe, I think its time you guys choose the tables and not us, because i fear that the process is go by emails one by one and in the end result the first 30 people you notify will get the tables first before any of us can! I don't know if you contacted them by who pays first (i doubt this because you need clearance from the payment department) so I assume you guys went random!
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom