Games that should have stayed in Japan

Started by Nephilim, May 13, 2010, 08:08:14 PM

Nephilim

Essentially a spin-off of the GAMES THAT NEED TO BE BROUGHT TO AMERICA topic.

The only one I can think of: Chulip for the PS2. (-_-;)

I don't remember how much exactly I paid for my copy, but this game wasn't worth it. The main objective is to kiss the girl you like, and you train for the occasion by kissing essentially the whole neighborhood, including a man in a trashcan, a gimp, an alien, etc.

I'm OK with the weirdness... OK, maybe SOME of it. But sometimes it was nonsensical to the extreme. Add a Harvest Moon style clock so that you have to make it somewhere at a certain time just to have a chance at a kiss and it gets pretty frustrating. I stopped playing when I had to wake up early to catch a train, to sneak into a factory, to hide overnight and wait until a mecha-zilla popped out of a hole so I could try and kiss it without it KO'ing me in one hit. It literally took a full hour for each attempt.

To be fair, the game did have some interesting bits, like the woman who was brainwashed by a cult and the giant cat who quizzes you near the end of the game, but overall it was a huge waste of time and resources.

"Frah muja lycd sa uid, ed fyc lniamdo fru duug bedo uh sa..."

Jelly Soup

???

I loved Chulip and I was thrilled when I was finally able to get my own copy (for a while, I wasn't sure if it was going to be translated or not). It's a quirky little romp through your standard coming of age story. Yeah, it has problems, but so does every other game in existence.