Quote from: azreale on August 19, 2010, 10:51:48 PM
Quote from: Aelia on August 19, 2010, 10:37:35 PM
Quote from: azreale on August 19, 2010, 08:28:10 PM
Quote from: azreale on August 19, 2010, 03:14:56 PM
Quote from: Aelia on August 19, 2010, 12:19:15 AM
Quote from: azreale on August 18, 2010, 10:29:23 PM
Quote from: Aelia on August 03, 2010, 11:33:28 PM
Quote from: azreale on August 03, 2010, 11:20:20 PM
can i use tonfa made out of cardboard or foam as a prop or is that also not ok?
also if i have two props, a stand alone giant Kirara and sango's hiraikotsu, can they both be long and large or do they have to fit the sixe restriction as if they were one large prop?
Our size restriction is intended to make it so that in the case of an evacuation, we would not have huge cosplayers with huge props clogging doorways and slowing everything down. If you feel that your Sango props and costume combined would not pose a moving hazard in such a situation, then everything should be fine.
my Stand alone kirara would be rather large.... but on wheels and easy to move but horizontal do to her structure. do you think that would be ok? 
like in this picture: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1108608/
this cosplayer did the same think that im thinking of. she doesn't have her boomerang in this picture but she did have both

this ok? or to much of a potential hazard?

Err.... I'm gonna say that Kirara should stay outside-- that is, on the first floor concorse, and out front by the fountains. Just for crowd reasons (both when you're trying to move, and when you get stopped for fifty bazillion pictures) It would not be okay in the exhibit halls, because they get too crowded.

If you do actually make that, please do enter in masquerade. I think it would be prize-worthy. Grab some other inuyasha cosplays, too.
haha thanks
well what about if kirara was alone? would she be aloud in  the halls? im asking because the plan i have now is to make it so that i can either walk with a stand alone kirara with me. or wear the kirara myself as a costume.  As Kirara i'd have a handler but as she is still big i wanted to know if she'd be allowed upstairs in the more popular areas?  i did this two years ago with Akamaru  but kirara's a tad bigger with her tails & all.  just making sure this would be ok
thanks!
??? the above quote????
I'm gonna need some real dimensions to be able to visualize just how large we're talking here.
hmmmm.... at the tallest she'll be about 4'5" or shorter. and in length about..... 5-6.5 ft long?  at the VERY longest 7. but thats doubtful
The verdict is something along the lines of:
Provided that she really stays within the 4.5' x 6.5' range, you can have her out on the concourse, in the public areas of the convention center. Kirara would not be allowed into panels, video rooms, or exhibit halls.

thats fine. but if i/kirara were to enter the halls for a moment and stayed in the open areas to hide from the crowds  or in the alcoves by the exits of the halls, would that be ok?  (i.e. open areas in the gamers hall or  the open spots by the exits that are usually very uncrowded?)

i know you said to stay out of the halls  but what about nearest bathroom access? or will my hotel room be the only option? as well as drinking fountains?
There are restrooms on the first floor to the Mariott side of Registration, on the Second Floor by the Video Room hallway/inside the video rooms (again, Mariott Side), in the Mariott on the second floor, and at the Hilton side near the maid cafe. I believe there are drinking fountains within 20 feet of each of these, as well as water stations in the video room hallway and probably by Maid Cafe. If, however, you find that you desperately need a fountain or a restroom, and none of the others are available, I'm hardly going to penalize you for needing to go into an exhibit hall.

As much as I understand that you're trying hard to define the rules so you don't break them, it is important to remember that sometimes you can define things *too* clearly and not leave yourself any breathing room.

Generally, the goal of the limits I've placed on you is that we don't want you spending a lot of time clogging high-traffic areas with a large costume and prop; places like the aisles of Dealer's Hall, or the entryway during busy times. Should you need to do so for a very important reason-- medical, bathroom, food, water, etc.-- I'm not going to freak out. I just ask that you follow the spirit of it, rather than the letter of it, if you understand my meaning?
Director of Operations

Rodney_Pheonix

I am working on an NCR Ranger in combat armor from the Game Fallout: New Vegas. To go along with the costume I am going to soon start construction on a prop Anti-material rifle. Construction is going to be of wood PCV gaffer's tape and some lexan accent pieces with a pain scheme of flat steel colors with added 'dirt grime and rust'.

Would I have to paint off the tip in safety orange for this?

In lieu of the AMR I am also working on an NCR flag. If I'm reading the peacebonding information correctly I would have to have the flag on a wooden pole, or would an aluminum flag pole be acceptable for carrying the prop on?
Personal FanimeCon 2015 Fund: ?/?
Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?
HL2 Combine (concept art trenchcoat one)
Something something....no idea yet.

Aelia

Quote from: Rodney_Pheonix on December 31, 2010, 12:27:08 AM
I am working on an NCR Ranger in combat armor from the Game Fallout: New Vegas. To go along with the costume I am going to soon start construction on a prop Anti-material rifle. Construction is going to be of wood PCV gaffer's tape and some lexan accent pieces with a pain scheme of flat steel colors with added 'dirt grime and rust'.

The compromise we have made for not requiring guns to be holstered-- so they can actually be hand-carried-- is the orange tip. It has to be present for it to get peace-bonded. That is not to say that you have to paint it orange; you could use some orange tape to cover the tip, and so long as it stayed on for the duration of con, you would be fine. Then you would be free to take it off at the end of con for future costume usage.

Also, I'd like to see your costume at some point (purely out of curiosity, not to do with peace-bonding) Are you going to be wearing a full combat outfit, or are you going to accessorize with some of the random things you can pick up in the desert (like the fedora from fridge-man?)

In lieu of the AMR I am also working on an NCR flag. If I'm reading the peacebonding information correctly I would have to have the flag on a wooden pole, or would an aluminum flag pole be acceptable for carrying the prop on?
Hm. I don't believe we've considered the material for flagpoles and the like-- I think as long as it's a fairly lightweight flagpole, you should be fine with either aluminum or wood. Just make sure if it's got finished (or at least smoothed) ends.
Director of Operations

Rodney_Pheonix

Quote from: Aelia on December 31, 2010, 10:34:26 AM

The compromise we have made for not requiring guns to be holstered-- so they can actually be hand-carried-- is the orange tip. It has to be present for it to get peace-bonded. That is not to say that you have to paint it orange; you could use some orange tape to cover the tip, and so long as it stayed on for the duration of con, you would be fine. Then you would be free to take it off at the end of con for future costume usage.

Also, I'd like to see your costume at some point (purely out of curiosity, not to do with peace-bonding) Are you going to be wearing a full combat outfit, or are you going to accessorize with some of the random things you can pick up in the desert (like the fedora from fridge-man?)

I've considered some of that, but I'm mostly focused on working on the AMR and the combat armor+duster right now. Which thankfully I've noticed that the ranger combat armor is a one (maybe 2two) piece over the chest area and maybe some other armor pieces under the duster sleeves. Just need to get the EVA foam once I finish my pattern. I'll robably add in some odds and ends that I'd have picked up from working the wastelands.

Though if I can't get the AMR finished in time I'll cut to my plan B, with is a Ranger Sequoia or my 'scrap' rifle. I think the scrap rifle might have last years bonding tag on it.

Hm. I don't believe we've considered the material for flagpoles and the like-- I think as long as it's a fairly lightweight flagpole, you should be fine with either aluminum or wood. Just make sure if it's got finished (or at least smoothed) ends.

Gotcha. I can probably scrounge up a flagpole that fits those definitions.
Personal FanimeCon 2015 Fund: ?/?
Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?
HL2 Combine (concept art trenchcoat one)
Something something....no idea yet.

loner

i havent been on here since last fanime and i can say i LOVE the new policies!
too bad most my cosplays this year wont require any sort of props :(

Runewitt

so, the policy says things need to fit through standard doors. I want do do a Totoro cosplay, and keep it close to scale, how wide are the doors at the convention  center? 33", 36"? Also, if i make a leaf umbrella, can it (the upright, not the actual leaf) be more than 4ft tall without causing problems at the doors?
Brevity is the soul of Wit.
Confusion is the soul of Runewitt.

Aelia

Runewitt: When I say standard doors, I mean like the sort of doors you're going to have in your house. If you can make a costume which fits through those with ease, then it counts as "fitting."

Also, I have no idea about the umbrella. If you're intending to hand-carry it, so long as it can either a) collapse in such a way that you can put it though a doorway or b) lower it as you carry it to fit, I don't see that the height of it is going to matter.
Director of Operations

luluuxduplica1223

Helllo ^_^ I've searched the thread but I can't find an answer to this question.  My character has a machine gun, so I was wondering if we're allowed to bring an inflatable one? Would it need to be peacebonded somehow or is it fine? It obviously can't shoot anything at all.
Proud member of  Moral Insanity Cosplay group :D
http://moralinsanitycosplay.deviantart.com/
My deviantart:
http://luluuxduplica1223.deviantart.com/

*Organizer of the Pokemon, Fruits Basket, Gravity Falls, and Wonderland gathering at Fanime Con 2013! :D*

Aelia

Quote from: luluuxduplica1223 on January 16, 2011, 05:32:43 PM
Helllo ^_^ I've searched the thread but I can't find an answer to this question.  My character has a machine gun, so I was wondering if we're allowed to bring an inflatable one? Would it need to be peacebonded somehow or is it fine? It obviously can't shoot anything at all.
Yeah, you didn't find an answer because it's not a question I've ever encountered before. Inflatable machine gun? Do you have pictures?

Anyway, theoretically, it should be OK as long as it is peace-bonded. (Yes, you would need to be peace-bonded)
Director of Operations

luluuxduplica1223

Proud member of  Moral Insanity Cosplay group :D
http://moralinsanitycosplay.deviantart.com/
My deviantart:
http://luluuxduplica1223.deviantart.com/

*Organizer of the Pokemon, Fruits Basket, Gravity Falls, and Wonderland gathering at Fanime Con 2013! :D*

Kuudere

Quote from: Aelia on June 18, 2010, 08:03:07 PM
Official flags shall be respected, and cannot be worn as part of a costume. They must be on a flagpole. Home-made or unofficial flags are exempt from this rule.

This stipulation caught my eye. I have a feeling it pertains to the Hetalia cosplays, and I seem to remember witnessing a couple Hetalia cosplayers with flags arguing with rovers last year. But I wonder what the exact reason for the rule is... is this a matter of respecting the flag of the country? I assume that's probably the case, but it could use more clarity.

EDIT: Rereading your statement, it's pretty clear that it is a matter of respect. I was mostly curious as to what thought was behind the flagpole requirement rule, since you could be respectful to a flag without putting it on a flagpole. Not that I disagree or anything, it's just curiosity.  :)

Aelia

Quote from: MeowDesu on January 16, 2011, 08:42:36 PM
Official flags shall be respected, and cannot be worn as part of a costume. They must be on a flagpole. Home-made or unofficial flags are exempt from this rule.

This stipulation caught my eye. I have a feeling it pertains to the Hetalia cosplays, and I seem to remember witnessing a couple Hetalia cosplayers with flags arguing with rovers last year. But I wonder what the exact reason for the rule is... is this a matter of respecting the flag of the country? I assume that's probably the case, but it could use more clarity.

It's red because I just added it. Yes, it's there because of cosplayers (not at our con) wearing them as capes. It's disrespectful,  and we do intend to demand better of our cosplayers than that. I'm going to put emphasis on "WORN" as in "not as a cape, shirt, skirt, sarong, or other article of clothing" as I don't actually mean cannot be CARRIED. It was a sort of on-the-fly edit at yesterday's staff meeting as a few people brought this behavior to my attention. (If you can think of a clearer way to phrase it while still staying true to my intent, I am all ears.)

luluuxduplica1223
I am going to ask for an orange tip to get that peace-bonded. It's not as nerf-y as I was expecting. But with an orange tip and the stipulation that it not be brandished, I think it should be OK.
Director of Operations

Kuudere

Quote from: Aelia on January 16, 2011, 08:48:02 PM

It's red because I just added it. Yes, it's there because of cosplayers (not at our con) wearing them as capes. It's disrespectful,  and we do intend to demand better of our cosplayers than that. I'm going to put emphasis on "WORN" as in "not as a cape, shirt, skirt, sarong, or other article of clothing" as I don't actually mean cannot be CARRIED. It was a sort of on-the-fly edit at yesterday's staff meeting as a few people brought this behavior to my attention. (If you can think of a clearer way to phrase it while still staying true to my intent, I am all ears.)

I see, thanks for the quick response to my question. I think it's an appropriate rule, even though people are probably unintentionally being disrespectful. I have a feeling it'll be a big hassle for you guys when people who do not read this show up without a pole for their flag, so hopefully this message spreads because I know Hetalia is extremely popular. I give you props for answering all these questions here, too. Thanks for the hard work!

EDIT: Yes, I think that "worn as part of a costume" was the ambiguous part. Perhaps saying something like "(ex: worn as clothing or capes)" would be more specific, because I tend to think that carrying a prop equates to "wearing" it, which wasn't the intent of your statement. What a headache to come up with clear wording for everything!

Aelia

Quote from: MeowDesu on January 16, 2011, 08:55:10 PM
It's red because I just added it. Yes, it's there because of cosplayers (not at our con) wearing them as capes. It's disrespectful,  and we do intend to demand better of our cosplayers than that. I'm going to put emphasis on "WORN" as in "not as a cape, shirt, skirt, sarong, or other article of clothing" as I don't actually mean cannot be CARRIED. It was a sort of on-the-fly edit at yesterday's staff meeting as a few people brought this behavior to my attention. (If you can think of a clearer way to phrase it while still staying true to my intent, I am all ears.)
I see, thanks for the quick response to my question. I think it's an appropriate rule, even though people are probably unintentionally being disrespectful. I have a feeling it'll be a big hassle for you guys when people who do not read this show up without a pole for their flag, so hopefully this message spreads because I know Hetalia is extremely popular. I give you props for answering all these questions here, too. Thanks for the hard work!

Being subscribed to the thread does wonders for my response time. XD And answering your questions now helps y'all with your cosplays and saves me some trouble during con, so everyone wins.

Anyway, I'm mostly concerned with people not being disrespectful. I'm about to finalize and get it published on the main fanime.com website, so that should help out, too. (Thank goodness for that.) People inevitably show up at con with all sorts of props which aren't allowed, so I'm expecting a few. We'll deal with it when it comes.

EDIT: I think I like "worn as clothing" better.
Director of Operations

BSaphire

Quote from: Aelia on January 16, 2011, 09:10:03 PM
Quote from: MeowDesu on January 16, 2011, 08:55:10 PM

Being subscribed to the thread does wonders for my response time. XD And answering your questions now helps y'all with your cosplays and saves me some trouble during con, so everyone wins.

Anyway, I'm mostly concerned with people not being disrespectful. I'm about to finalize and get it published on the main fanime.com website, so that should help out, too. (Thank goodness for that.) People inevitably show up at con with all sorts of props which aren't allowed, so I'm expecting a few. We'll deal with it when it comes.

EDIT: I think I like "worn as clothing" better.
Aelia: As per our discussion Saturday: I am talking with a Cosplayer on some Flag Etiquette for all cosplayers that I will send Rovers/You a little later. I want a copy of the final version to be with Rovers, Program/pocket guide, & Gatherings Table.

A MeowDesu: When we get a complete version we will add it here for everyone to read. If you have anything you feel should be added please PM me with it.
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

Airi

Hello :)
I have a question about my prop for Izaya from DRRR. I made a small switchblade made entirely out of cardboard.
It looks like this: http://fav.me/d33u704

I was wondering if I'm allowed to bring this to the con, or should I forget it and leave it at home. I promise I'm not going to ferociously swing and stab someone with it @_@
Thank you!

Crimson Enigma

Would hidden blades from Assassin's Creed fall under the category of concealed weaponry, even if the tip is made of wood or something...not metal or sharp?

I haven't constructed it yet so I don't have any images of my own prop (still in the planning stages!), but here's the design from the game.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v353/ChaoticRubberDucky/Ezios_Hidden_Blade.jpg

Aelia

Airi The switchblade would need to be peace bonded, but it should be alright.

Crimson Enigma I think the hidden blade would be acceptable on 2 conditions:
1) don't sharpen the tip
2) make sure it's not actually spring loaded.

That was the verdict we went with last year.
Director of Operations

Crimson Enigma

Epic, thankies! Oh, and does the tip still have to be something not metal? I made a hidden blade that's gravity driven last year, but since my group and I were doing panels and skits to promote the convention we were at, we were given permission to have metal tips. They were dull and rounded, but it was still a gravity driven hidden blade made entirely of metal. I don't know if that would fly with you guys at Fanime. D: I also have locks on them, so that they don't deploy unless we want them to.

Here's kind of a crappy pic. I'll see if I can find another if you need more visuals on it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v353/ChaoticRubberDucky/AW10x0134.jpg

Aelia

As long as the metal tip isn't sharp, and can't be sharpened, then it's not live steel, and it's fine.
Director of Operations