Hug/Glomp Me Signs

Started by PinkHairSasuke, January 28, 2008, 06:50:58 AM

PinkHairSasuke

im wondering are signs banned at fanime or are they ok? do people actually hug/glomp you if you have a sign?

Nightroad

I don't know whether signs are banned or not, but people most certainly WILL glomp you if you wear a sign!!!!!!!
Check out my fairly rescent DA account!
I wanna see my fanime friends on there!
http://robotdreams.deviantart.com/

Jun-Watarase

God damn it, why are there another one of these threads.

Signs were meant for people begging for attention. You got a sign? You got attention. It's that simple. It's up to you to judge whether or not that's a good thing, or something just ... really pathetic. Unless you're REAAAAALLY ugly, and below the standards of even con-goers, then it's absolutely certain that you'll get tons of hugs from strangers to fill your need for said attention. Though, you'll have to divide it with the hundreds of OTHER people with signs... which leads me to wonder why Fanime needs people with attention-whoring (for lack of a better word) signs, when really, isn't much of a glum place that calls for spreading ze love.

Though, they aren't banned... but strongly discouraged, for good reason.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

Eurobeat King

It's bad enough that people make their own "Hug Me" signs, but what's really sick is when people mass-produce "Hug Me" signs and then give them out to the public to wear & display.  At Sac-Con back in December, this dealer, selling the card/board game called "Ryvah" was having their booth-girls pass out FREE "Hug Me" signs, and the attendees were wearing them with their costumes or normal clothes.  Here's an example:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8145334@N06/2099647431/in/set-72157603417752228/

It's one thing to see a couple of people wear those signs, but to see LOTS of them walking around with those signs in one area, it's just wrong.  And I recall seeing one kid take about 20 of those freebie-signs and tape them all over himself.   :P

If this Ryvah dealer does the same thing at Fanime (so far they only tend to stay at the Sac-Cons) I hope Fanime staff does something to not let them distribute these signs else Fanime will be crawling with them..   >:(
"Freedom is the right of all sentient cosplayers."

Kouri Neko

Quote from: Eurobeat King on January 28, 2008, 10:17:39 AM
It's bad enough that people make their own "Hug Me" signs, but what's really sick is when people mass-produce "Hug Me" signs and then give them out to the public to wear & display.  At Sac-Con back in December, this dealer, selling the card/board game called "Ryvah" was having their booth-girls pass out FREE "Hug Me" signs, and the attendees were wearing them with their costumes or normal clothes.  Here's an example:

It's one thing to see a couple of people wear those signs, but to see LOTS of them walking around with those signs in one area, it's just wrong.  And I recall seeing one kid take about 20 of those freebie-signs and tape them all over himself.   :P

If this Ryvah dealer does the same thing at Fanime (so far they only tend to stay at the Sac-Cons) I hope Fanime staff does something to not let them distribute these signs else Fanime will be crawling with them..   >:(

Agreed.  I'm tired of seeing them signs myself. 
I'm not a Mecha Anime fan..

ohayo_sunshine

I don't know about you, but I work for my hugs. I also earn hugs from people willing to give hugs.

PinkHairSasuke

wow i got some replies on the first day btw wat is glomping and my friends say since im gonna be cosplaying as sasuke i'll get attacked by sakura, ino, and orochimaru cosplayers if i have a sign. wat do u think.

ohayo_sunshine

Quote from: sasukeuchiha92 on January 28, 2008, 09:26:51 PM
wow i got some replies on the first day btw wat is glomping and my friends say since im gonna be cosplaying as sasuke i'll get attacked by sakura, ino, and orochimaru cosplayers if i have a sign. wat do u think.
Sasuke cosplayers = open call for other naruto cosplayers to glomp you. i'm pretty sure at some point other people would want to take yaoi pictures so i suggest wearing padding. haha.

kat-hime

my friend's going to cosplay as sakura
so expect to be glomped by her:] with permission of course
i don't think a sasuke cosplay needs a sign.. it just sort of speaks for itself lol

PinkHairSasuke

ok this should be interesting for me.

Tarma

I went to that con too. I hear you on the sign thing. It gets old. >_< I dun mind the more original ones; they can be funny.

There's no knights in shinning armour
We're all cursed, for better or worse
So do yourself a favor
Be a saviour to yourself
~Hepburn~

Yukari Kaiba

Quote from: Tarma on January 29, 2008, 11:17:32 AM

I went to that con too. I hear you on the sign thing. It gets old. >_< I dun mind the more original ones; they can be funny.

i definitely agree on the more original signs some people have - there was an Ichigo cosplayer at the Bleach gathering last year who had a sign that said "I Hear Voices", which was pretty funny. but im totally over the glomp me/hug me signs - they were all over the place at the most recent SacAnime, and if that dealer EBK mentioned is going to be doing the same thing at Fanime, those signs are going to spread like a plague DX
FANIME '14 COSPLAY
-Gundam Tanaka (Super Dangan Ronpa 2)
-Tetra (Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker)
-Levi (Attack On Titan)
-Wanderer (Journey)

Kanzake

If such a plague does break out like wildfire at Fanime, i suggest a meeting at the fountains to write up a petition for "Ban of mass produced and handed out hug/glomp me signs"

XD
Fanime Rovers Department 2nd - Ku

ohayo_sunshine

Quote from: Kanzake on January 29, 2008, 12:15:02 PM
If such a plague does break out like wildfire at Fanime, i suggest a meeting at the fountains to write up a petition for "Ban of mass produced and handed out hug/glomp me signs"

XD
If there is a ban, I think we should have a marshmallow roast with the papers.
Or we can be green and recycle them.

Yukari Kaiba

Quote from: ohayo_sunshine on January 29, 2008, 03:41:49 PM

XD

or we can recycle half of them and make a fire with the other half - that way we still get toasty marshmallows :3 lol
FANIME '14 COSPLAY
-Gundam Tanaka (Super Dangan Ronpa 2)
-Tetra (Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker)
-Levi (Attack On Titan)
-Wanderer (Journey)

Kanzake

Quote from: Yukari Kaiba on January 29, 2008, 04:37:02 PM

XD

or we can recycle half of them and make a fire with the other half - that way we still get toasty marshmallows :3 lol

BONFIRE~ XD
Theres a 7-11 around i know they got marshymellows~ =3

or we can make paper mache out of them and make a pinata or make someone into a huge kon! O_o;
Fanime Rovers Department 2nd - Ku

Kouri Neko

XD

*nods*  I totally agree.  I'd sign. 
I'm not a Mecha Anime fan..

ohayo_sunshine

Quote from: Kanzake on January 29, 2008, 08:15:44 PM
Quote from: Yukari Kaiba on January 29, 2008, 04:37:02 PM

XD

BONFIRE~ XD
Theres a 7-11 around i know they got marshymellows~ =3

or we can make paper mache out of them and make a pinata or make someone into a huge kon! O_o;
it can be our fanime fantasy project!

Eurobeat King

Some cons that have banned signs completely have staffers confiscate all signs that they find and put them on a wall or post-it section, which was pretty full by the end of the con.   :D 

Seriously, tho..  Someone should contact dealer-room Jason and ask him if the RYVAH dealer reserved any tables at Fanime this year, and if so, to contact them and ask them not to distribute any free "Hug Me" signs.  I have nothing against the dealer, but I just don't think passing out "Hug Me" signs as a way to advertise your game/site is a smart thing..
"Freedom is the right of all sentient cosplayers."

PinkHairSasuke

who wants to hug/glomp Sasuke?