alright :/
10 (10.6%)
it failed DX
1 (1.1%)
didn't go
49 (52.1%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Lordsnow

If you actually need a place to go get Hakama, I know this place in Berkley I can get people the address to.
Old soldiers never die, and they don't fade away

Yuu

Midnight- It is both to show that we are capable of righting a research paper, and to (and the teacher INSISTS upon this) staudy soemthing we CARE about it.
The biggest problem, is narrowing ideas down to soemthing so specific from the origional broad spectrum.

Yukari- Oh dear god you should have seen the "Jearsey Grimmjow" ( as in the material for his hakama) oh god I wanted to just walk up and bitch slap him.

He went up to fight the 'spoiler Ichigo" after I did. I was afraid the combined 'fail' of their costumes was going to destroy the world.

Toshi- where the  hell did you find the manga? Bleach exile is being very very slow. Its been stuck on " 323 is up now! for weeks >_<
" Your aren't taking sides if you spread out violence evenly"

Charis

Quote from: Yuu on April 23, 2009, 08:52:44 AMYukari- Oh dear god you should have seen the "Jearsey Grimmjow" ( as in the material for his hakama) oh god I wanted to just walk up and bitch slap him.

I about bawled.  I swear to god.  How does one interpret a hakama, which has very precise and defined pleats, as being made out of a fluid fabric like jersey?  (I don't remember how good or bad the rest of his cosplay was, honestly, because ... jersey!)

BumbleB, I absolutely concur with Yukari -- hakama have a very distinctive look, and flowy does not work at all, IMO.
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

Eliteslayer

As someone who couldn't get a hakama last year, I'd recommend getting one. I had to make do with the pants from my kempo outfit, and while no one said anything, I did feel a little stupid wearing those instead of an actual hakama. (Fortunately, I have a hakama now. Expensive, but totally worth it.)
Cosplay battle! Three-pose Fight
The works of Ken Akamatsu 2010
"Abridging a Series" Panel

Hope you can attend 'em!

Yuu

Quote from: Charis on April 23, 2009, 09:57:12 AM

I about bawled.  I swear to god.  How does one interpret a hakama, which has very precise and defined pleats, as being made out of a fluid fabric like jersey?  (I don't remember how good or bad the rest of his cosplay was, honestly, because ... jersey!)

*Shrug* I just chalked it upto him being a Grimmjow  Jackass. 

Yuu

Quote from: Eliteslayer on April 23, 2009, 10:55:07 AM
As someone who couldn't get a hakama last year, I'd recommend getting one. I had to make do with the pants from my kempo outfit, and while no one said anything, I did feel a little stupid wearing those instead of an actual hakama. (Fortunately, I have a hakama now. Expensive, but totally worth it.)

The first pair of Hkaama were quite expensive. Fortunatly I now have friends who know how to make them.  I would do it myself, but I cant do anything i na straight line ( sew, cut ect)  also its become apparent tham I am just a naturally distructive persom and break almost anything I touch.
That is why Ive been put on 'seam ripping' detail. I can rip seams like no ones business! .....-_-;

On that note- this friend I speak of is very close to being smashed in the face.
He is always complaining that I 'wont' learn how to do make things myself.
I REALLY want to make a sword for my Shadow hearts costume MYSELF. He makes very aswome weapons (usually out of wood) ALL I want him to do is take me to buy some wood and he refuses.

Hes refusing because he wants to wait until two weeks before the con when theres no way I can make it myself so that he can say " Fiine ILL do it" so that hell have even more to complain about.

MidnightRosebud

I'm exceedingly glad that Lisa prefers skirts...>.>...
But, fortunately, I have a friend who can make hakama. ^_^ She's actually coming to the Bleach gathering as Hanatarou. And it'll be her first time at Fanime I believe. ^o^

@ Yuu

Ahhhh~ I see, I see. Research reports...blech. Have to work on mine when I get home today. V_V;;
I wish you luck with yours!!
Catch the Barrel/Prize: http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,10013.msg255958.html#msg255958

Cosplay 2010
~Bleach: Yadomaru Lisa
~Soul Eater: Gorgon Medusa
~Naruto (Shippuden): Hyuuga Hinata
~CardCaptor Sakura: Mirror Card
~Fairy Tail: Lucy

Lordsnow

Quote from: Yuu on April 22, 2009, 11:37:03 AM
  Yah, Im double posting, but its pretty off-topic ( for which I appolagize)

I need to come up with an INTERESTING research topic for my Psycholagy class. I dont give a damn about the typical effects of 'trauma' 'stress' and all of that trite BS.
I want something 'outside' the box and figured this was the best place to go.

Any ideas?

Well.. if you want to do some sort of psychology paper... hmm. Well i'm a psychology student(just starting), so I'm not sure how much I can help. I always just really liked the whole conditioning thing. You could go with something to do with that.
Old soldiers never die, and they don't fade away

Yukari Kaiba

@charis & yuu - dear god, he used JERSEY? D8 do you have pictures?
FANIME '14 COSPLAY
-Gundam Tanaka (Super Dangan Ronpa 2)
-Tetra (Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker)
-Levi (Attack On Titan)
-Wanderer (Journey)

ToshiX

Yuu I am a Ninja XD

Halibel XD
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
"When The Snow Melts, What Does It Become?"
"It Becomes Water"
Bzz" Bzz, Wrong It Becomes Spring Silly"
"Spring Is My Favorite Season Of All"

Cosplays
???

WrentheFaceless

Charis

Quote from: Yukari Kaiba on April 23, 2009, 02:43:49 PM
@charis & yuu - dear god, he used JERSEY? D8 do you have pictures?

I don't think I do, but I'm sure someone does.  (Will see if I can get to my Sakcon pictures when I get home, but I suspect not.)  It was ... geh.
2012 Plans:
  • others TBD

waffle-lover26

Toshi, that picture broke my brain...

I'm assuming Jersey is a really bad fabric for hakama. Does anyone have a list of fabrics not to use?
I used to keep an open mind, but my brains kept falling out.
If you don't like my driving, than get off the sidewalk.

*proud member of Prop Whores United <3*

Charis

Quote from: waffle-lover26 on April 23, 2009, 03:35:06 PMI'm assuming Jersey is a really bad fabric for hakama. Does anyone have a list of fabrics not to use?

The problem with jersey is that it's a knit, which is by definition soft and drapey and won't hold pleats without serious help (if even then).  For the hakama, you want something fairly stiff that'll get a nice crease -- trigger, twill, or some other kind of woven fabric.  If you're okay with synthetics, polycottons will also hold a pleat a little better; most of the hakamas on martial arts sites I've found are 65/35 polycotton.

But just make sure it's woven, at least medium weight, and nonstretch, and you should be in pretty good shape.
2012 Plans:
  • others TBD

BumbleB

Jersey?!? I don't want to FAIL on my first Bleach cosplay. I'm going to San Francisco the weekend before Fanime so maybe I'll buy some there. OR I could ask my Aikido sensei if I could buy some off him? (only sempai and sensei are allowed to where them) OR I could make a cheap version of it with my terrible sewing skills. (where do I find a pattern?)
Yes I can go to Fanime!

Sunday:Shinigami Rukia- Bleach
*proud member of Prop Whores United <3*

Eliteslayer

Quote from: ToshiX on April 23, 2009, 02:56:38 PM
Yuu I am a Ninja XD

Halibel XD

IT BUUUUUUURNS!!!!

Anyways, BumbleB, what I did first time I cosplayed as a Bleach character was borrow a hakama from my sensei, since if I wanted to purchase one, I'd have had to join an entirely new style that was also taught at the dojo, and he had one to spare. Last year, though, I was/still am at college, so I couldn't get home in time to see if I could borrow one again, thus I had to go with the aforementioned kempo pants (given the choice between a slightly inaccurate costume and missing out on the gathering, I chose to risk the faux pas).

However, ININ gave the address of this place in San Jose's Japan Town where they had hakama on sale for about 79 bucks, plus tax, so that's where I got mine from. When I checked in SF, I saw one for about the same price, so if you've got 85 bucks to spare, that's what I'd recommend.
Cosplay battle! Three-pose Fight
The works of Ken Akamatsu 2010
"Abridging a Series" Panel

Hope you can attend 'em!

sael

Patterns, I can't say how good these are as I haven't had to make a hakama (I'm still thrilled about Ggio wearing other sorts of pants) but here's what I have bookmarked.

http://fibers.destinyslobster.com/Japanese/Clothes/japmakemenshakama.htm
http://sarcasm-hime.net/hakamapattern.html (text only)
http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/katchu/graphics/patterns/hakama1.PDF

Dragon Ninja

Fanime 2013:
Naruto Uzumaki (Naruto Shippuden)
Ichigo Kurosaki (Bleach)
The 9th Doctor (Doctor Who)

Downloads & Fansubs are evil. Support the Anime industry. Buy DVDs NOW

Yuu

Quote from: ToshiX on April 23, 2009, 02:56:38 PM
Yuu I am a Ninja XD

Halibel XD

O_O
...  ...
.....You win.

Dear Fanime,
       Im afraid I will not be attending this year as I have been out smarted by freakin Toshi and therefore cannot go on living.
    Good bye horrible world.

MidnightRosebud

@ Toshi

-falls over laughing-

Brilliant! Absolutely freakin' brilliant! You just completely made my day!! ;D

@ Yuu

Noooo!~ You can't kill yourself, I need you at Fanime! T^T
Catch the Barrel/Prize: http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,10013.msg255958.html#msg255958

Cosplay 2010
~Bleach: Yadomaru Lisa
~Soul Eater: Gorgon Medusa
~Naruto (Shippuden): Hyuuga Hinata
~CardCaptor Sakura: Mirror Card
~Fairy Tail: Lucy