Carrying a Bag...

Started by Ammorin, November 11, 2009, 11:13:35 PM

Ammorin

Do any of you cosplayers carry bags (or purses) with you? Especially the ones that Fanime gives you when you get your badge.

Thank you for answering in advance! :D
Fanime Attendee 2008 - Lin Yao (FMA)
Fanime Attendee 2009 - Aristocrat Gentlemen
*Fanime Attendee 2010 - Lolita, Nadeshiko Fujisaki (Shugo Chara), and maybe Yue from Rune Factory 2

Eliteslayer

That depends on whether or not my costume has pockets. If it does, then I can fit my wallet, phone, etcetera in my pockets and drop my bags off in my room whenever I buy anything. If it doesn't, or if I have to carry around a lot of stuff for whatever reason, then I'll keep my bag with me, for lack of a better option.

Admittedly, it's a little worrying when I'm at a gathering or asked for a photo and I have to set my bag down for strangers to watch over, so it's useful to have people you can trust around to watch them, but it's even more useful to not have to carry it around.
Cosplay battle! Three-pose Fight
The works of Ken Akamatsu 2010
"Abridging a Series" Panel

Hope you can attend 'em!

Ammorin

Oh that was fast! Yeah I have that problem when I'm at gatherings also. That's why I always make sure to at least bring a friend :D

I was just wondering because the bags just don't match the costumes sometimes. Thank you for answering! :)
*Fanime Attendee 2010 - Lolita, Nadeshiko Fujisaki (Shugo Chara), and maybe Yue from Rune Factory 2

ToshiX

Me and my group usually carry a mini back pack or a messenger bag
"When The Snow Melts, What Does It Become?"
"It Becomes Water"
Bzz" Bzz, Wrong It Becomes Spring Silly"
"Spring Is My Favorite Season Of All"

Cosplays
???

KyraEnsui

Other than carrying money and cellphone in whatever hidden compartment I have in my outfits, I usually carry a messenger bag to hold some stuffs.

Or turn your bag into some kind of mascot for your costume? I know I do it sometimes.

roth14

It really is better to just make a hidden pocket. They are easy to make and if you don't stuff them full, they don't interrupt the look of the cosplay.

Ammorin

That's true. I'll try that then. Thanks! :)

Rodney_Pheonix

Anytime I cosplay I try to work in a way to add in my "serenity" messenger bag, or at least have a cosplay where I can cover it up, like my fremen cosplay.
Personal FanimeCon 2015 Fund: ?/?
Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?
HL2 Combine (concept art trenchcoat one)
Something something....no idea yet.

Charis

I always carry a bag, usually because I've got far too much junk on me to manage otherwise.  I try to coordinate them to cosplays, and have dyed them to match in the past so that they camouflage a little, but since I'm never solo friends and I will usually hand each other bags when we need to get them out of the way for photos, or stuff the lot behind us if everyone's in the shot.

For most of my costumes, I've either got an obi or a corset that I can shove some of the more vital things into.  (It does mean I'm unlikely to miss my cell phone ringing, at least!)
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

Ammorin

I've got lots of stuff to carry also :D I guess I'll be on the lookout for a bag that can match my cosplay. Thank you!

Nina Star 9

I always carry a tote and never worry about it matching, haha.

I just set it down on the floor between myself and the photographer (so it is in sight but will not show up in photos) if anyone asks for my picture. If anyone snaps a random shot of me in the halls without my knowing, then they should realize that it will be unflattering no matter what I was carrying. ;P I don't usually have anywhere to add extra pockets into my cosplays anyway, so the bag works out perfectly for me.

If I were to hire a photog to do a shoot or if I had a professional ask me for multiple pictures that are a bit more formal than just hall shots, then I'd either leave my bag behind in the hotel, only carrying a small pounch that is easily concealed that has my ID, badge, phone, mirror, lipstick, etc. (if it was a planned shoot), or I would ask a friend to hold my bag (if it was impromptu).

michiko nakano

you can fit a hell of a lot of stuff in boots... sometimes tall socks... credit cards are easily stowed in tall socks, and if you have boots you can fit a cell phone, snack, etc in there comfortably. 

if you don't know how to make a secret pocket, a really quick way to do it is to cut a sock in half, use the bottom part and sew one side of it to the inside of your sleeve or skirt or something.  makes a small pocket.  could also tie a tiny bag to the middle of the front of the bra, it would hang down to tummy level.

or find a friend with boobs who can hold your cards n cash.

HimeNoToki

Thankfully, one of the characters I'm cosplaying for Fanime regularly has a large bag he wears as part of his attire, and for Wander I'm going to make a bag with the colossi sigil mark on it to carry around with me (something long overdue as I have had the costume for some time).  It's pretty neat to find a way to make a bag that goes along with your costume, in the event your character doesn't have any pockets or something else in which you could store items.
FANIME 2010 COSPLAY PLANS!

Friday - Wander (Shadow of the Colossus)
Saturday - Xellos (SLAYERS NEXT)
Sunday - Reimi Sugimoto (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4)
           - Hitokiri Battousai (Rurouni Kenshin)

Touya no Miko

I do carry a Target tote bag with me. It's large enough to carry about two of my costumes and a wig. I stuff my cellphone and wallet in my bra(D cups are a blessing) or shove them into my boots. If you have a hotel room, it would be wise to dump your merchandise in there. Thankfully the characters I'm cosplaying have pockets. If you're wearing a dress, sew some hidden pockets on them, that's what I'm requesting my commissioner to do for my Alice Liddel cosplay.
OMG! What the Fugnuggets is going on?!

BSaphire

There is a thread for this type of Cosplay post located here:

http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,13581.0.html

Thank you
B
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC