The COSPLAY HELP ME! Who? Sewing? Buy/Where? Construction? Support thread

Started by BSaphire, February 19, 2010, 03:30:23 PM

Asa_Gohan

Also Im happy...I finally found out exactly what he's wearing.  A FREAKIN SUIT! I wouldn't have been able to guess that if I had kept staring at the picture.  Though now that I finally know what it is, I have a base very very solid base for the outfit! x3 Oh joyyy :3 Also...I cant decide...
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b307/ra1yan/greenhair.jpg - green hair...
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b307/ra1yan/redhair.jpg - or red hair o3o
Also that isnt half bad for my first photo shop job x3 And I even did my eyes so they would be yellow x3

This sig isnt true anymore...I have to wait for a bit...

Aeon Akashi

Quote from: BSaphire on April 20, 2010, 12:14:05 AM
Quote from: Aeon Akashi on April 19, 2010, 11:13:56 PM
Hmn...can't anyone help me >: ?? I know the cosplay im trying to have ain't easy x A x;; Well if anyone thinks could help me make sure to send me a PM or something D:;;;
Most costumers  I know of are long since booked. So I can't direct you to any in particular. I will suggest looking on Cosplay [dot] com to see if there might be anyone with free time or possibly even the costume.

FYI... It is my practice (and a few other costumers I know) that they ask for 1/2 $ down up front (if they don't already have something pre-done for sell then it would be all of the $.) So if you look to consign this for next year you may want to find someone in the next few months.

As for this year... maybe look into a different cosplay that is easier to get together or maybe purchase on ebay.... etc.

Alrighty thank you for the help~ !! ; w ;

Rebeccakh

Quote from: Starherd on May 02, 2010, 06:03:33 PM
Quote from: Rebeccakh on May 01, 2010, 01:23:54 PM
For anyone thats doing armor or somthing and doesnt want to spend tons of money on wonderflex or wants somthing sturdier than paper mache and is feeling out of time this tutorial for making armor our of craft foam is extremely helpful its cheap and relatively fast and easy

http://www.entropyhouse.com/penwiper/costumes/helmsdeep.html

I can vouch for the awesomeness of this method.  I've made Sephiroth's shoulder armor, Vincent's claw, and Loz's Dual Hound weapon this way (all FF7 Advent Children).  Before Dual Hound and Vincent's claw (made simultaneiously), I'd never used the method before in my life.  It really is that easy!

...Though a heat gun from the scrapbooking section (it's used for embossing) of your local craft store will work a lot *better* than trying to shape craft foam over a hot stove, in my experience.  Be prepared to maybe burn your fingers.  ^_^;  Oh the things we do for our art...

-Starherd
i know what you mean about the burnt fingers i had to use the stove method for making my taokaka mask this year. i made my leg armor for my Odin Sphere's  gwendolyn costume  last year out of wonderflex and it was so uncomfortable to wear and slowed me down considerably i mean it worked well even when i used the hot water method to shape it and i had burnt sore hands but blah its honestly not worth the money if you think youre gonna make better armor out of wonderflex  x _ x im thinking of making it out of craft foam if i redo the costume.
next year im gonna be fran from ff 12 and i heard the craft foam method is really good for her armor

Asa_Gohan

One last thing...So Im looking to buy a Zoot suit for my Hazama cosplay since thats what he wears.  Thing is...I have NO clue what size to get cause I dont know what they mean and googling it gave me weird results...So yeah...

EDIT: They have sizes like 44L, and 50R and I have No idea what those mean...So um...Yeah, what exactly do those mean?

EDIT2: Nvm....

This sig isnt true anymore...I have to wait for a bit...

alylx3

ohh ok i didn't know this part of the forum existed XP...
Can someone help me chose who to cosplay as for fanime this year?
Here are the choices: Yuna x-2 (gunner), Yuna (summoner), Yuffie (AC Ver.)

michiko nakano

well, there were a lot of yuna gunners and yuna summoners walkin around last year, so you might do the third choice if you want to stand out more maybe. 

but the yuffie shuriken seems like it would be hard to obtain and get peacebonded and might be annoying to carry around, so if you don't want to deal with all that then you could just do the costume without the shuriken.

personally, i think that the yuna summoner costume is the neatest.

danielvutran

So I want to order a gaara costume online, and I've googled it, but pictures can be so deceiving. Anyone have any suggestions as to which is a good place online to order one? I'll need it shipped to California within 3 weeks of course (>._.)>.

THANKS. lols.

Kafreenie

Try: http://www.lightinthebox.com/Naruto-Shippuden-Gaara-Men-s-Cosplay-Costume-and-Accessories-Set_p40015.html

I ordered a cosplay costume from them and it came in time! Make sure you figure out exactly what size you need (or pay $5.99 more for a custom order). I was too lazy to measure myself to get a perfit fit so my costume ended up being a bit big/loose but it still fit fine.
찬바람 불 때 내게 와줄래
세상이 모질게 그댈 괴롭힐 때
신나게 놀자 웃자 한바탕
하 하 하 하 하 하!
이 밤이 다 할 때까지~

danielvutran

LOL GET OUT OF HERE KATHELINE

Chosen_Entity

Hey there peeps. I'm needing to find a good white body paint. I'm cosplaying Orochimaru, so the majority of my body needs to be white.

I bought Ben Nye paint, but I wasn't too impressed. It worked great on the face, but on the rest of me it just fell through. It smudged, stayed very tacky, and rubbed off on absolutely everything. (The wig, the clothes, the random passerby...)

So, I suppose I'm looking for something that will dry and stay put where it belongs. I don't mind if it's difficult to get off (actually I prefer it), since I plan on just being the one character. Besides, it takes forever to put all that stuff on.

Any suggestions?

Rette

Have you tried Kryolan?

http://www.kryolan.com/en/index.php?mnu=1

If you are located near San Francisco, they actually have a store downtown near the Metreon and the staff are really really helpful. My cosplay group gets all of our F/X makeup there. ^_^

~ Gaffer Tape is like the Force. There's a Dark Side and a Light Side and it Holds the Universe Together. ~

Member of Three Dollar Laugh Cosplay

LOVE.SAE

You can try airbrush temporary paint, it last 1 to 10 days though depending on the skin type. Airbrush paints last longer on dry skin types compared to oily skin.

Chosen_Entity

Quote from: Rette on May 09, 2010, 11:01:41 PM
Have you tried Kryolan?

If you are located near San Francisco, they actually have a store downtown near the Metreon and the staff are really really helpful. My cosplay group gets all of our F/X makeup there. ^_^
Quote from: LOVE.SAE on May 09, 2010, 11:19:59 PM
You can try airbrush temporary paint, it last 1 to 10 days though depending on the skin type. Airbrush paints last longer on dry skin types compared to oily skin.

Thanks you guys! I'm thinking of ordering the Kryolan paint and see how that goes. The airbrush paint would be perfect, but I have to go to work the day after the convention. That'd sure get me some funny stares! :3

LOVE.SAE

Quote from: Chosen_Entity on May 10, 2010, 03:42:05 PM
Thanks you guys! I'm thinking of ordering the Kryolan paint and see how that goes. The airbrush paint would be perfect, but I have to go to work the day after the convention. That'd sure get me some funny stares! :3

You don't have to worry, airbrushed paints are easily removable with 70% isopropyl alcohol or baby oil.
But if you're at the con and you want to bathe, but not remove your paint, you can still bathe regularly, you just have to avoid applying oils, sunblock or lotions on top of the airbrush tattoo and to dry, pat the airbrushed tattoo dry and don't rub it.

Dany

Quote from: Rette on May 09, 2010, 11:01:41 PM
Have you tried Kryolan?

I will say a vote of support to Kryolan as well. I am very fond of their AquaColor stuff in particular...I've used it for years for a variety of costumes. The only trick is that I sometimes have to be careful..for example, when I put it on my fingers, they can look super-aged because the makeup over-exaggerates my knuckles and such. In some cases this can be a good thing, but it may not -always- be ;)

Something I'll also suggest is using a spray-on fixative...it can help a lot with keeping things put, especially if you are prone to sweat a lot, no matter what brand of makeup you use!
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

Charis

Quote from: Dany on May 10, 2010, 04:06:48 PMSomething I'll also suggest is using a spray-on fixative...it can help a lot with keeping things put, especially if you are prone to sweat a lot, no matter what brand of makeup you use!

Spray-fixative, and powdering the hell out of it after applying (before sealing) -- both of those will help tremendously in the wearing.  There isn't much that can be done, ultimately, against things like abrasion short of going for something like alcohol-activated makeup, but spray-sealers and powdering mitigate general wear.
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

AngelWings

Hey I was wondering if anyone knew how well this wig and the ponytail extensions took dye? I'm a little concerned, because of the styling on the extensions. Unfortunately it doesn't come in orange sooo? Suggestions please.
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-CURLY-CREME-BRULEE-PALE-BLONDE-PONYTAILS-cosplay-wig-/400119073270?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_CSA_MWA_Wigs_Extensions&hash=item5d28f489f6
if the above doesn't show try cosplaywigs.com 2 CURLY CREME BRULEE PALE BLONDE PONYTAILS

Starherd

Quote from: AngelWings on May 10, 2010, 11:38:12 PM
Hey I was wondering if anyone knew how well this wig and the ponytail extensions took dye? I'm a little concerned, because of the styling on the extensions. Unfortunately it doesn't come in orange sooo? Suggestions please.
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-CURLY-CREME-BRULEE-PALE-BLONDE-PONYTAILS-cosplay-wig-/400119073270?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_CSA_MWA_Wigs_Extensions&hash=item5d28f489f6
if the above doesn't show try cosplaywigs.com 2 CURLY CREME BRULEE PALE BLONDE PONYTAILS

Most wigs don't take RIT dye well (I've had luck, but it depends entirely on what the wig's made of and the brightness of the color you want, so it really was just luck), and human hair dye isn't so good either - both are made for organic things (i.e. real hair or cotton fabric), not synthetic.  So, brilliant people came up with this:

Dying wigs using sharpie marker ink.
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=82947

I haven't had this go wrong yet.  Works on more than wigs, too... so wear latex gloves and cover your work area to keep it safe.  ^_^

-Starherd
I Do Cosplay Commissions - PM Me!

Remember to smell good for every con. ZOMG Smells
The right scent can really complete your outfit!

STFU Studios thanks everyone who came by in the AA! See you soon!

Armored-Heart

Hey~! I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find a decent white wig for my Soul (from Soul Eater) cosplay?
(Reference: http://scrumptious.animeblogger.net/images/Scans/Newtype_0208_Soul_Eater_01_100.jpg He's the awesome white haired guy lmao)

I had ordered one but it looks like a total mess and just will not do. D: I have no experience with styling wigs myself and also have little to no time on my hands, so it'd be easier to buy one. Though I also need to be able to afford it. xD;

I've searched around a little but I can't find many wigs that look anything like his hair while not looking like one of my cat's nasty coughed-up hairballs. D:
Not attending for 2014. Sorry!

Starherd

Quote from: Armored-Heart on May 11, 2010, 11:11:44 AM
... I had ordered one but it looks like a total mess and just will not do. D: I have no experience with styling wigs myself and also have little to no time on my hands, so it'd be easier to buy one. Though I also need to be able to afford it. xD;

I don't know where you could get one that would look like that, but if you ordered one and it has the right length even if the style's a wreck, it can probably be salvaged.  Doesn't take that long either, just a little patience.  Do you have a picture of what you have?

(Where are you?  I'll be in the Bay Area from the 24th on and might be able to help, if you really need.)

-Starherd
I Do Cosplay Commissions - PM Me!

Remember to smell good for every con. ZOMG Smells
The right scent can really complete your outfit!

STFU Studios thanks everyone who came by in the AA! See you soon!