Cosplay Spectacular 2008 [FINAL LIST POSTED] [LOCKED]

Started by angeljibrille, November 12, 2007, 08:29:21 AM

Mister_E

Quote from: angeljibrille on April 20, 2008, 12:06:07 AM
Quote from: Mister_E on April 20, 2008, 12:01:58 AM
So all there is left to do is to just show up at the con.

yep! You just need to check in on Friday at the Masquerade registration desk (first come first served!), and sign up for craftsmanship judging if you choose to do so.

Now is it at the same place where I pick up my badge?
A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

z_mikarin

Quote from: angeljibrille on April 17, 2008, 08:30:32 PM
Quote from: z_mikarin on April 15, 2008, 08:47:36 AM

So then no reservation/appointment necessary for dress rehearsal?
We will just show up then?

Exactly.

QuoteAlso about the rehearsal area aside of dress rehearsal, do we just show up and get to rehearse there as well?

This will be my first Fanime and I have never be in a masquerade that offers the praticipants rehearsal options beforehand. It sound Fanime is special to me already!

Yep! There's a room right next to the Masquerade registration that's basically for people to practice, hang out, work on costumes, whatever you need. There's a nice deck outside that people can use too if you need more space or want to take pictures.

angeljibrille san,

You are very kind.
Thank you for answering all the questions.
Also thanks for taking your time and answering my PM even after you answered all the questions via this thread.
Sorry that I made mistake writing posting-I am not good at posting really...

It seems like a very participants friendly nice Masquerade. I can sense the fun and excitement.
I am so glad that I decided to participate at the very first time in Fanime.
I can't wait to see you!!

seiginomikata

Quote from: Mister_E on April 20, 2008, 12:07:45 AM

yep! You just need to check in on Friday at the Masquerade registration desk (first come first served!), and sign up for craftsmanship judging if you choose to do so.

No, the badge pickup for the convention is handled seperately.  Masquerade check-in will be in the the Masquerade HQ room: SJCC D (which I believe is behind where they usually put Karaoke)

You can check the timeline: http://www.fanime.com/events/cosplay-spectacular-contestant-timeline

Mister_E

Quote from: seiginomikata on April 20, 2008, 01:12:27 AM
Quote from: Mister_E on April 20, 2008, 12:07:45 AM

No, the badge pickup for the convention is handled seperately.  Masquerade check-in will be in the the Masquerade HQ room: SJCC D (which I believe is behind where they usually put Karaoke)

You can check the timeline: http://www.fanime.com/events/cosplay-spectacular-contestant-timeline
Karaoke now that's the room across the screening room right?
A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

seiginomikata

Mister_E

Quote from: seiginomikata on April 20, 2008, 01:30:09 AM
Quote from: Mister_E on April 20, 2008, 01:16:42 AM
Karaoke now that's the room across the screening room right?

Yup :D
Awesome, thanks.

Xeluu

angeljibrille:

Thanks for the swift response! :D

Two more questions though.

I'm 19 and living at home right now, so I'm liable to get a bit of help on the costume from my father with the making of the head. How much help would be enough to disqualify me from the contest? (Like... can't touch the costume at all? Can help with a tiny bit of the finishing touches? Can only sit to the side and act as a sort of safety coach? XD )

Oh, and the other thing is that it would probably be a walk-on, unfortunately. x_x I seem to recall reading somewhere that you were going to put all of them in a group ( I want to say I read that it was towards the end?), so would it still be a problem if I kept off the head until 5-15 minutes before I went on?

Sorry for all the questions, but I figure if I'm going to enter, I'll do it right, and do it by the rules.

Thanks again for your quick response, and sorry for my belated one.

~Xeluu
2016 Cosplay Plans
Gomamon/Gabumon - Digimon
Jolteon Gijinka - Pokemon
Oogie Boogie - Nightmare Before Christmas

angeljibrille

Quote from: Xeluu on April 20, 2008, 10:59:20 PM
I'm 19 and living at home right now, so I'm liable to get a bit of help on the costume from my father with the making of the head. How much help would be enough to disqualify me from the contest? (Like... can't touch the costume at all? Can help with a tiny bit of the finishing touches? Can only sit to the side and act as a sort of safety coach? XD )

Your dad can help, of course, no problems. Please just tell the judges how much he helped, etc.

We aren't completely and utterly anal about this; we understand many costumes are collaborative projects. Our rules are merely in place to prohibit those who purchased costumes (like full costumes) off of eBay or other costume web sites from participating. As long as you are making this costume mostly yourself or even putting it together from found items that are being modified, we are satisfied that you put in an honest effort.

Oh, and the other thing is that it would probably be a walk-on, unfortunately. x_x I seem to recall reading somewhere that you were going to put all of them in a group ( I want to say I read that it was towards the end?), so would it still be a problem if I kept off the head until 5-15 minutes before I went on?

We still haven't decided how we are going to handle walk-ons yet, but we will have a staging area backstage for you to store the head and as you have a special costume (please note in "special needs") we can try to get you on as early as possible.

thanks~~

Mister_E

So my blue Jacket for my outfit was not made by me but bought off a Ebay is that also against the rules?

Xeluu

Quote from: angeljibrille on April 21, 2008, 09:01:55 AM
Quote from: Xeluu on April 20, 2008, 10:59:20 PM
*snippy snip*

Your dad can help, of course, no problems. Please just tell the judges how much he helped, etc.

We aren't completely and utterly anal about this; we understand many costumes are collaborative projects. Our rules are merely in place to prohibit those who purchased costumes (like full costumes) off of eBay or other costume web sites from participating. As long as you are making this costume mostly yourself or even putting it together from found items that are being modified, we are satisfied that you put in an honest effort.

*snippy snip*

We still haven't decided how we are going to handle walk-ons yet, but we will have a staging area backstage for you to store the head and as you have a special costume (please note in "special needs") we can try to get you on as early as possible.

thanks~~
Perfect, :D Now I can register without a fear of registering only to be disqualified! XD Thanks sooooooo much for the prompt response!

I'll definitely note that the costume gets hot in the special needs section. Heck, if it's decently cool in the back area it might not be a problem. Not sure yet as I'm not finished though.

Thanks again!
~Xeluu
2016 Cosplay Plans
Gomamon/Gabumon - Digimon
Jolteon Gijinka - Pokemon
Oogie Boogie - Nightmare Before Christmas

seiginomikata

Quote from: Mister_E on April 21, 2008, 10:28:14 AM
So my blue Jacket for my outfit was not made by me but bought off a Ebay is that also against the rules?

This depends on if the jacket was specifically made for the character you're costuming as (for example by a seamstress, costumer, or retailer like cospa) or if you were looking for a blue jacket and happened to find an article of clothing on ebay that matched.  In one case you are buying a costume piece, in the other you're finding an article that your costume needs.

Mister_E

Quote from: seiginomikata on April 21, 2008, 11:40:15 AM
Quote from: Mister_E on April 21, 2008, 10:28:14 AM

This depends on if the jacket was specifically made for the character you're costuming as (for example by a seamstress, costumer, or retailer like cospa) or if you were looking for a blue jacket and happened to find an article of clothing on ebay that matched.  In one case you are buying a costume piece, in the other you're finding an article that your costume needs.
My jacket it just a South Pole brand, I didn't say "Hey Kids be the Laughing Man" or something like that.

seiginomikata

Quote from: Mister_E on April 21, 2008, 11:19:25 PM
My jacket it just a South Pole brand, I didn't say "Hey Kids be the Laughing Man" or something like that.

That's fine.  Basically that's the same as going to a thrift store or the mall to buy a jacket.  It's not that you can't buy anything off ebay, lots of people buy wigs there, you just can't buy an actual costume from ebay.

Mister_E

Quote from: seiginomikata on April 21, 2008, 11:58:26 PM
Quote from: Mister_E on April 21, 2008, 11:19:25 PM

That's fine.  Basically that's the same as going to a thrift store or the mall to buy a jacket.  It's not that you can't buy anything off ebay, lots of people buy wigs there, you just can't buy an actual costume from ebay.
Cool thanks!

Bawlsy

Just for clarification. For the craftsmanship judging do we need to be in full costume and make-up? I've heard both that we do and we don't.
Costume List For Fanime 2008!
~ Harold Belserius, Tales of Destiny 2 =10%
~ Jade Curtiss, Tales of the Abyss = 5%

seiginomikata

Quote from: Bawlsy on April 23, 2008, 02:54:25 PM
Just for clarification. For the craftsmanship judging do we need to be in full costume and make-up? I've heard both that we do and we don't.

Lots of people bring their costumes for the judging instead of wearing them.  Also, it doesn't specifically say that you need to wear it during judging in the rules.  If you need a lot of makeup or it's an awkward costume to wear and you're being judged on Friday, it's understandable that you don't want to get into the full costume for judging and then again for masquerade.  The judging guidelines are on http://www.fanime.com/events/cosplay-spectacular-competition-guidelines after the award list.

For the mandatory meeting before masquerade you need to be in full costume and makeup since after the participants are sorted out, masquerade starts and there won't be time to change.

If you have special needs because of your costume because of makeup, large pieces, limited movement, etc, you should note that in your entry information.

angeljibrille

Quote from: seiginomikata on April 23, 2008, 03:17:47 PM
Lots of people bring their costumes for the judging instead of wearing them.  Also, it doesn't specifically say that you need to wear it during judging in the rules.  If you need a lot of makeup or it's an awkward costume to wear and you're being judged on Friday, it's understandable that you don't want to get into the full costume for judging and then again for masquerade.  The judging guidelines are on http://www.fanime.com/events/cosplay-spectacular-competition-guidelines after the award list.

All of this is correct (<3 seiginomikata)

In addition to this, if you have a pressing need to be jugded on Saturday because your makeup is all-important to your costume (such as if you have extensive body paint), just note that also in your special needs section. We will make sure you get judged on Saturday so you only have to put it all on once.

However, the judges are mostly looking at the craftmanship of your costume during the judging process. They will note the fit and your ability to move in the costume (as well as how you look on the stage, makeup and all) during your skit. This is why it is important, if you are a walk-on, to make sure you come out and do a few poses. The judges can then see how your costume moves and looks with you in it :)

Bawlsy

Thank you so much seiginomikata and angeljibrille for your timely responses. I very much appreciate it.
Costume List For Fanime 2008!
~ Harold Belserius, Tales of Destiny 2 =10%
~ Jade Curtiss, Tales of the Abyss = 5%

Rette

Live steel sword question:

I know a live steel sword can't be carried out of its scabbard during the con or at the Masquerade performance, but in a strictly supervised environment such as judging could it come out of its sheath?

I'm guessing not, but just figured I'd ask since nothing is better made than a real high-carbon steel blade and it really adds to the look and feel of the costume.

~ Gaffer Tape is like the Force. There's a Dark Side and a Light Side and it Holds the Universe Together. ~

Member of Three Dollar Laugh Cosplay

seiginomikata

Quote from: Rette on April 23, 2008, 08:03:33 PM
Live steel sword question:

I know a live steel sword can't be carried out of its scabbard during the con or at the Masquerade performance, but in a strictly supervised environment such as judging could it come out of its sheath?

I'm guessing not, but just figured I'd ask since nothing is better made than a real high-carbon steel blade and it really adds to the look and feel of the costume.

Looking at the Weapons Policy here: http://www.fanime.com/about/policies it says "Live steel is not permitted.  Live steel is defined as swords, knives, or other objects made of metal that can take an edge.  Dull metal weapons are considered live steel, and therefore are not permitted.  Live steel in a scabbard or protective cover is still not permitted."

So I'd say you should not bring that sword at ALL to the convention.

I realize there is a section regarding allowing non-conforming weapons for masquerade with special permission, but live steel tends to be strictly prohibited and the fanime security people are unlikely to allow it.  I would strongly suggest looking into finding a non-metal alternative for your prop.