has any one lived on the streets during Fanime because they didnt get a Hotel?

Started by TC X0 Lt 0X, April 09, 2008, 06:19:17 PM

Has any one lived on the streets during Fanime because they didnt get a Hotel?

Yes
6 (14.6%)
No
35 (85.4%)

Total Members Voted: 37

TC X0 Lt 0X

As suggested above, have any of you? Have you seen someone or know someone who has?

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Jun-Watarase

Ah, er.... geez. I've heard of people sleeping in the lobby...? Either way is illegal.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

redroses3164

Yikes. O_o; Even if sleeping in the lobby or video screening rooms are frowned down upon, at least sleep there if you honestly have no other way to get a place to stay. Sleeping on the streets would suck even more.

Though, if you don't have a place to stay, try to find people who are willing to room with you so it's cheaper when ya split the bill.

PyronIkari

Quote from: redroses3164 on April 09, 2008, 06:51:49 PM
Yikes. O_o; Even if sleeping in the lobby or video screening rooms are frowned down upon, at least sleep there if you honestly have no other way to get a place to stay. Sleeping on the streets would suck even more.

Though, if you don't have a place to stay, try to find people who are willing to room with you so it's cheaper when ya split the bill.

OR NOT GO?

Seriously... if you can't afford to pay for a con and have a place to sleep, then you shouldn't be going.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Some people cant get rooms because there are none, others might do it for the thrill (don't ask me why).
Would you do it if you all the rooms were out and couldn't find a friend to stay with?

BTW, I want you guys to know that Im not going to do this, me and my friends are staying at my friend's Nena's house.
I was just curious if it happens.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Moonblossom

I did see it happen at AX a few years back. It's really unfortunate and embarassing, and gives the con as whole a bad image, aside from being illegal and unsanitary (no showers, etc)

satanic_mechanic

Quote from: PyronIkari on April 09, 2008, 07:18:51 PM

OR NOT GO?

Seriously... if you can't afford to pay for a con and have a place to sleep, then you shouldn't be going.

yeah, man seriously... screw poor people, right? I mean anime is, after all, the privilege of the rich.  Affordable? Heck no! The purpose of Fanime is to purposefully exclude poor people...

all that is sarcasm... ive been going to the con for a while now, and this is the first year I can actually afford a room nearby.  I think its a shame that people cant afford to get a room at the con, especially those who come from poor backgrounds.  I have a job now, but back in the day, money was tight, and asking my family for money for this DEFINITELY wasnt justified.  As a teenager, money was tight, even when I had an income.

Frankly, without a hotel room nearby, the convention experience just isnt the same. if you have to drive back home, then you miss a good bit of the programming.  if you have a room nearby, you can have 90% of the con experience, if you so choose.

i never slept on the streets, but i didn't have a hotel room either, and i always felt as though i missed out at least a little bit.  Why? because I was poor.

"I went into the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life...to put to rout all that was not life; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." -HD Thoreau

otakuapprentice

if you can afford to go to the con, but not afford a hotel room, there something wrong right there.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

FanFicGuru

Quote from: satanic_mechanic on April 09, 2008, 08:24:39 PM
Quote from: PyronIkari on April 09, 2008, 07:18:51 PM

OR NOT GO?

yeah, man seriously... screw poor people, right? I mean anime is, after all, the privilege of the rich.  Affordable? Heck no! The purpose of Fanime is to purposefully exclude poor people...

all that is sarcasm... ive been going to the con for a while now, and this is the first year I can actually afford a room nearby.  I think its a shame that people cant afford to get a room at the con, especially those who come from poor backgrounds.  I have a job now, but back in the day, money was tight, and asking my family for money for this DEFINITELY wasnt justified.  As a teenager, money was tight, even when I had an income.

Frankly, without a hotel room nearby, the convention experience just isnt the same. if you have to drive back home, then you miss a good bit of the programming.  if you have a room nearby, you can have 90% of the con experience, if you so choose.

i never slept on the streets, but i didn't have a hotel room either, and i always felt as though i missed out at least a little bit.  Why? because I was poor.

Oh please, don't try to give us your sob story. Pyron was just bringing up the fact that if you don't have money for a hotel then you shouldn't plan on staying around at the con. It isn't fanime "Excluding the poor", the fact of the matter is those who have the money to get a hotel room have the convenience of being near to the con. It's no fault of theirs that they have money, nor yours that you don't (usually).

In any case, don't try to turn this into an ethical argument about poor vs. rich. Either find a way to get a hotel room with your friends, or don't plan on sleeping in the convention center/on the streets/some other irresponsible lodging solution.

Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Mister_E

I remember seeing people sleeping like near the doors or the Artist Alley area and along the walls in sleeping bags and all. One guy i think he was an Organization XIII cosplayer had all his shit and whatnot handcuffed to his wrist.

There weren't alot of them but it was still a WTH moment.
A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

satanic_mechanic

but its true, isnt it?

those who stay at the hilton and the marriot directly adjoining enjoy far greater ease of access then anyone else. they are the ones who can mobilize more money, and faster. those who stay there tend to be from higher socioeconomic status, therefore those from socioeconomic high status enjoy better access.  one way or another, that is the plain fact of it.

coincidence, societal design... i never blamed fanime, but the hotels are protecting their financial interests by seeking to actively enforce the vagrancy policies.

none of it changes the fact that poor kids miss out.  someone should start some sort of fanime-scholarship fund.
"I went into the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life...to put to rout all that was not life; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." -HD Thoreau

Moonblossom

Actually the Hilton is the cheapest of any of the hotels... The Montgomery and Fairmont are the farthest, and most expensive. Their rooms are ritzy, but certainly not the best in "ease of access".

LadyKaren

ROFL - So I read at the bottom of the main page where it said, "last updates posts" and it read,

"has any one lived on the streets during Fanime because they didn't get a Ho"

Mister_E

Quote from: Moonblossom on April 09, 2008, 08:45:02 PM
Actually the Hilton is the cheapest of any of the hotels... The Montgomery and Fairmont are the farthest, and most expensive. Their rooms are ritzy, but certainly not the best in "ease of access".
I enjoy the marriot since the whole connected to the con part *of course*. Plus I get really cool deals on Ebay for rooms on the lowest floors. Last year I got the 5th floor and a free pizza.
A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

PyronIkari

Quote from: satanic_mechanic on April 09, 2008, 08:24:39 PM

HOLY CRAP, WHY HAVE I NOT REALIZED THIS BEFORE... I totally agree now. Why stop at anime though. Poor people should be allowed fine food whenever they want... FOR FREE. Sports cars, movies, concerts, travel, WHY SHOULD ONLY RICH PEOPLE GET THESE LUXURIES?!?!??!?! Poor people should get them too. I'm totally with you man.

all that is sarcasm... ive been going to the con for a while now, and back when I couldn't afford a room, I found friend's to stay with, I saved up, or I didn't go. My parents haven't supported me since I was 16, and asking my family for money for this DEFINIELY wasnt justified.

What's your god damned point? It's a convention, it's a LUXURY... LUXURIES ARE NOT NECESSITIES, AND IF YOU CANNOT AFFORD A LUXURY YOU DON'T DESERVE SAID LUXURY. If you can't afford said luxury and you still go, then you are STUPID and CANNOT MANAGE MONEY, SO IT'S NO WONDER THAT YOU CAN'T AFFORD SAID EVENT.

You're right, cons are different than when you have a hotel room, and spending money. Life is different, when you have a home to sleep in and spending money, then when you don't.

otakuapprentice

Quote from: satanic_mechanic on April 09, 2008, 08:37:43 PM
but its true, isnt it?

those who stay at the hilton and the marriot directly adjoining enjoy far greater ease of access then anyone else. they are the ones who can mobilize more money, and faster. those who stay there tend to be from higher socioeconomic status, therefore those from socioeconomic high status enjoy better access.  one way or another, that is the plain fact of it.

coincidence, societal design... i never blamed fanime, but the hotels are protecting their financial interests by seeking to actively enforce the vagrancy policies.

none of it changes the fact that poor kids miss out.  someone should start some sort of fanime-scholarship fund.
thats a bunch of crap. the reason that most of the ppl who go to the con that stay in the marriot or the hilton(or any other good hotel near the con) is because they room with lots of people, most likely close friends.

im rooming with a bunch of my friends, and depending on how many actually show up, im only paying $70 for my share of the room FOR THE WHOLE WEEKEND, and i'm not part of this 'higher socioeconomic status' either.

it comes down to making a budget; i make one every year ive gone to fanime, and i am always able to have a room for the weekend and enjoy myself.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

soakrates`

Quote from: satanic_mechanic on April 09, 2008, 08:24:39 PMbut its true, isnt it?

Ahahahaha. Looks like it's time to play "Spot the Guy Who Got a B+ in Sociology 101!"

Hate to break it to you, but most Fanime congoers are a far cry from what any sensible person would consider "rich" or "high status".

Most of those in attendance at Fanime in my experience fall into the late teens-late 20s demographic, and I'd be willing to bet that no more than a small fraction of those could afford staying in a hotel for three or four days simply on a whim. Many if not most of them probably saved for months to be able to make the trip.

Jun-Watarase

Oh god, BAWWWW some more emo bumb.

Seriously, if they couldn't find a place to stay during the con, it's most likely their own fault. Poor planning-- you want to go to a con, but need a place to stay? Fine one. Need money? Take the time to plan and save your god damned funding. Not everyone has pockets full of cash all the time, yes... but they actually SPENT THE TIME TO BUDGET AND PLAN THEIR TRIP. As as for the whole "Well, sometimes there are no rooms left" thing is just bs. The Marriot and Hilton may get filled up at some point, but there are other hotels several blocks away, and to say there are no rooms left there is just you being too lazy to check.

If you can't afford to go to a con, don't go. Simple as that.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

BrightHeart76

Quote from: satanic_mechanic on April 09, 2008, 08:37:43 PM
but its true, isnt it?

You're kidding?  You HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING!  Cause ha ha, that's funny.  I didn't mobilize money, I paid attention to the web site and made sure I reserved a room as soon as it was available.  No money required since I used my bank card to garauntee the room. 

Sigh...
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

FanFicGuru

Can a moderator or someone please lock this thread? It's rather pointless.

A) If anyone has slept in the convention center or on the streets, purposely coming to fanime without pre-arranged lodging, they acted irresponsibly and have no pity from me or anyone else who budgets their money correctly, up to months in advance, in order to enjoy the privileges of a Hotel stay.

B) Pyron is right. This convention isn't necessary to live. It's an extra expense, a luxury. If you don't have money, you can't afford to come to Fanime. That's not our fault. If you really want to come to fanime, and you are over 16, chances are it wouldn't be too hard to start saving up and get the money needed for registration and your share of a room.

There will always be haves and have-nots. Deal with it.

Please, lock this thread up. Thanks.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015